FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Should we limit snipers on Acropolis to -1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we set sniper limit to -1 on Acropolis?
Yes?
41%
 41%  [ 19 ]
No?
45%
 45%  [ 21 ]
Just deal with it, I am a sniper.
13%
 13%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 46

FragFailure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinions on snipers have previously been made public. They ruin games more often than not.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bobins

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well even though i get hit by them all the time on acrop... lol. i dont think it should be put to 1... i didnt know it was a lim of 3.. i thought it was 2.. i think it should be lowered to 2. imo.

even though i get hit by them, well used to get slaughtered by them on acrop, i could always get arround them in da end... there are so many ways ta go. that i think the sniper lim is fine.. but i thought it was 2 anyway.. lol... not 3... lol. i think it should be 2.. but there isnt any need ta lower it further than that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniping does take some skill, it is by far my worst class and always has been. I can get a better score playing all scout some rounds than sniper. But I have to argue against the sniper is part of the game aspect. Once again going back to QWTF where snipers and the rest of the classes originated and were accually balances (unlike now IMO), sniping too a lot of skill. Play with sv_unlag 0 or cl_lw 0 for a little while and try to snipe. You will then see that snipers are no longer balanced (also heavys for that matter but lets not get into that). The problem with such a "good" class is the slow times for it to shoot people. Yes it's unbalanced that it kills easily, but it is in no way a good defensive tool. There is a serious myth that because a lot of servers ban snipers that they are banned in leagues, but TVL is the only league I know that accually does ban snipers. Clans don't play them because a good soldier or heavy or demo are more effective. I have never seen a map (minus maybe murderball, and hunted) where snipers really dominate.
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, this post is almost getting into a flame post. Those that like snipers and those that hate them.

Heck, perhaps we should ban all scouts and meds since the conc gives them such an unfair advantage as well as all that excessive speed they are capible of?

I will work with Rob to ensure the limit on TV3 is at 2 where it should be. If you cant deal with a sniper perhaps change class and snipe the opposing teams sniper and help your team to achieve its goals.

And if you feel that a sniper shooting you is ruining your game I think you should look at it as an opportunity to develop better skills to eliminate that sniper who is obviously a problem for you.

Snipers ARE part of the game and if we make silly changes here your still going to see them on all the other servers out there. If you dont like snipers please feel free to create your own server, customize it the way that you like and play there.

Just my two bits worth (Canadian money only, I'm not rich so I cant deal with that US currency)

JD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FragFailure wrote:
My opinions on snipers have previously been made public. They ruin games more often than not.

...I would say so...

^^^ Clicky
Poseidon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok for one thing I dont play soldier. i suck at it infact, maybe not relativly but i do suck. i play scout/medic only on that map, why? b/c snipers cant hit me. I conc from my front door around the corner to the top of your base, good luck hitting me. btw cycowhoever, snipers are just above the abnoxious level and if I really felt like nto getting hit I would play one of those two classes mentioned above the entire game, however I dont' feel like doing that and I'd actually like to enjoy my time playing and getting picked off by a no talent class isn't my opinion of fun. they don't do the job on defense if you are worth a damn at concing so I think they should be limited, so that makes me wrong, oh I forgot this is a flame thread now so I should be flamming. bleh whatever every class shoudl be limited, learn a new one for god sakes, they aren't that hard, any of them. OH and I still think they would be doing a much better assist to there team playing another class but I guess your to close minded to see that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blah blah blah....

1. The freggin point of the game is to A. Capture the enemy flag B. Defend your flag.

(Its obvious TV doesn't use any league rules ie chasing/yard d)

2. Shooting from your base into the yard is know as Yard D. (Which does not help game play. I'd also say 98 out of 100 snipers do this)

3. As I've noticed most snipers really could care less about guarding their flag. (Best example is snipers on 2fort, a medic concs up the sniper hides to avoid infection rather than following the medic and trying to kill him preventing the med to take his teams flag. They just want to get kills, and not get infected/killed. And wow maybe a sniper shoots an enemy running away from his base with his teams flag. Sure he helped his D out... but does he really give a rats ass if the enemy gets the flag? He just wants the flag to stay in his field of view so that he can get more kills.)

4. Absurd as it sounds, I have never ever seen an O sniper that was any good/ wasn't screwing around. (Since O seriously relies on speed and the sniper doesn't have much speed walking around with a charged rifle. The only place I've seen an O sniper work was well.)
hoaxie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoDum wrote:

Snipers take the fun right out of the game for anyone who plays offense; if you play sniper, you are ruining someones game more than all the respawn campers in the world ever could. So do tfc a favor if you like sniping and please, delete half life from your harddrive. Then delete yourself. Or if you so choose, go play CS; i hear they welcome camping snipers with open arms.

They are a part of the game... if it takes the fun out of the game for you to have snipers, then perhaps you should find a different game to play... oh but, wait... aren't you banned from Ville servers?

Sorry, JR... you know I had to.

[edit]Incidentally, I just came from TV 2, playing Avanti, and I was able to switch to soldier when there were already 4 on my team. 5 sollies out of 11 slots.[/edit]

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MuLiShA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoax....not cool
SoDum

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I post how saying snipers are a part of the game is COMPLETLY AND UTTERLY null and void, and yet... 3? More people say the exact same thing.

plz die k thx.

Stillness of Body, Focus of thought, oneness of spirit. These are the virtues of a concer.

The only man to boycott happiness!
FragFailure

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need to set to ONE sniper on lagpath. That ruined that game for me. Especially one at 270 ping that did not miss.

thx

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Spanish Warpig

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lag path would be fun if igt had nade packs and didnt lag so darn much and sodum rember u got banned because your an ass so why dont u just keep your comments to yourself, at least dont flame people just for liking to play sniper.

Noob snipers are pretty worthless but if there are a couple very good snipers it can greatly alter the way the round is going. personaly i dont think any 1 should complain and call any class a noob class because every class requires skill to be great at. admitedley it is easy to be a decent sniper or fatty than it is to be a decent medic or scout but to be great at any class u need skill.
rAT bOY

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love snipoerss they r teh best kewl man. I aslo lov yar d them is kewl man 2.

Actually yard D HWguys are more effective than snipers because they spread out the damage, while snipers concentrate the damage into one offense. And if you miss as HW, you still fire about 10-15 more bullets than a sniper does, so you're bound to hit at least once. If you miss as sniper, too bad, no help for your team. Rarely are snipers helpful. Maybe only to take out a yard D HW, or in the flag room in Well. So if you're thinking about pressing 2, press 6 instead.

I wouldn't allow snipers on a serious CTF server, but for the Ville it's about having a good time and I think it would be best to limit to 1 or 2 to allow people who don't want to help out their team but want to have fun play sniper. Just not too many or else it'll become a newbie server. They're annoying, but you can just conc out of the way easily and move on to better defense.

I love you JTHM <3
[njk]rat_boy
ur stuoid
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hoaxie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoDum wrote:
Funny, I post how saying snipers are a part of the game is COMPLETLY AND UTTERLY null and void, and yet... 3? More people say the exact same thing.

plz die k thx.

That is exactly why I said it again.

I will die one day... k? thx.

I'm not trying to be cool, Mul. Just razzin' a friend.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DisgruntledGoat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnDoe wrote:
Heck, perhaps we should ban all scouts and meds since the conc gives them such an unfair advantage as well as all that excessive speed they are capible of?

OR NOT.... conc gives like a minor advantage.... ever heard of conc aim? Sometimes when a med/scout concs you it gives him a false sense of security when he thinks i can run past him since he is conced... oh wait... i know how to shoot conc aim so then i just jam a rocket or a nade down his throat. OR if you cant seem to get your conc aim very accurate try using grenades... last time i checked your gren throw isn't shifted much when conced.

And speed??? Yea most meds/scouts don't try and fight with me they usually run... in which case i deploy several methods to stop them from escaping death.

1. bounce them with a rocket
2. shoot a rocket infront of them either stopping them or sending them back towards me
2. throw a grenade infront of them sending them back toward me
3. shoot them with my instant weapon (super shot gun)
4. rocket jump (if i need to physically catch them)
5. use terrain around you to your advantage (i.e. pin them in a corner)
6. think of were they're going (flag? pack? cut them off)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: