FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Banx0r
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Banx0r Reply with quote

Here from an article I read on Ars Technica site about Valve's new anticheat software.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2221335.stm
Vulcan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me that I am wrong in thinking that the next step will be to stop things like modifying config files. I would think that this would bring cheating down, but then there is still the offchance that someone will get "flagged" and really not be cheating. Nothing is ever perfect.
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But he said even if the cheats are caught out by software there are other "tweaks" that can be made to the games configuration files are some may not consider to be cheating even though they bestow an advantage.

Some so-called "config" changes make it easier for a player to shoot someone in the head, boost net connection speeds or make it easier to shoot opposing players.

Some popular servers are now enforcing common "config" files to ensure everyone gets a level playing field.

YES

YES

YES

YES

W00000000000000000000000000000000000T!

I like it, bring it on. Scripts be damned!
But that's just my opinion.

PS.
Quote:
"It has already been agreed that some scripts are a "form" of cheating but that's not the question. The question is whether it is right or wrong to allow them." - Valve forum sysop

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Chan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kjeldorian Royal Guard"]
Quote:

Some so-called "config" changes boost net connection speeds

why would this be cheating if it reduces lag?
Is valve trying to make us all complain about lag until we all get T-100 lines?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, if boosting your net speed is considered cheating then wtf. The playing field will never be even, cpu speed and internet connections are some of the main things that give people an advantage. The article is about VAC though, which is only used in CS, but soon it might come to TFC. I wouldn't count on it though Valve is only concerned with Counter Strike, because it's the most profitable.

My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kjeldorian Royal Guard wrote:
Quote:

Some popular servers are now enforcing common "config" files to ensure everyone gets a level playing field.

That is flat out the stupidest thing I have ever heard. So there are
NO changes to the client side .cfg that aren't cheating? What
if I simply don't want to use the same control layout as you? Am I
a cheater if I change the location of that damn VGUI so I don't accidentally activate it in-game?

If we're going that far, let's get valve to remove the client config file
entirely in the next release. Force everyone to use the same control
layout. Force people to manually enter console commands to do
anything that isn't bound to a key specifically by valve, or use the slow
and annoying menus.

After all, it's cheating that I have detdispenser on my mouse3, right?
It's cheating that I have F5 turn off crosshairs before a screenshot
and turn them back on after, right? It's cheating that I moved
the menu off of shift and put use on it, because my fat fingers kept
pressing the wrong keys at critical moments, right? It's cheating that
I have a key bound to return my name to normal (since I often
change it temporarily just for fun), RIGHT?

Assuming I buy that the very BASIC scripting capability is useful to
create major cheats, it's still stupid. Blaming the tools for the people
that misuse them just insures that no one will ever be able to use
those tools for ANYTHING.

In any case, I will not play on any server that enforces a 'blessed'
config file. End of rant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Computer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kjeldorian Royal Guard wrote:
But he said even if the cheats are caught out by software there are other "tweaks" that can be made to the games configuration files are some may not consider to be cheating even though they bestow an advantage.

Ok lets start flaggin people with 5-button mouses. T1 connections. Expensive mics. These all give advantages and "unlevel the playing field". Atleast EVERYONE is capable of modifying their configs. Not everyone is capabale of affording the hardware/connection.

Quote:

Some so-called "config" changes make it easier for a player to shoot someone in the head

Where in sam hell is this config? Can't say that I or anyone else for that matter has every heard of this. Might want to watch what you quote printin misinformation is typical liberal tactics to make people swing to their perspective. Be aware people that this DOES NOT EXIST!

Quote:

boost net connection speeds or make it easier to shoot opposing players.

If your connection isn't as good as it can be when you enter the game then screw you! Well that's what your saying. You are given the ability to adjust you download rates and such to make game play as smooth as possible and you saying people shouldn't b/c it's a SCRIPT. OMG someone call the police.

Quote:

This is the top of the slippery slope on the way to banning all custom models/crosshairs and even script modification. So get ready, and I hope that everyone enjoys WASD. I know I don't and this will be the absolute end of me every playing this game.

Quote:
I like it, bring it on. Scripts be damned!
But that's just my opinion.

Conservatism to the point of near Puritanism. It's a shame people like you are going to destroy the game by eliminating one of the most key elements, that being the that you are capable of customizing it.

Quote:
"It has already been agreed that some scripts are a "form" of cheating but that's not the question.

Wow that's a loose comment. A "form" of cheating. I hope you people are attempting to form your own opinions on this and not being sucked in by the way this is written. Having a script isn't "stepping over to the darkside" sheesh anti-script people act as if they don't have the ability to modify their files at all. Is ignorance truely bliss?

Quote:
The question is whether it is right or wrong to allow them." - Valve forum sysop

Computer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on a side note. There is this thing that says that all people should have a level playing feild. All should be equal, regardless of how much time and energy you put into it. OH yea, Communism. That's what that is.
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My config is pretty much all custom and it is huge.I ran into a server where having my config read only so I don't lose all my binds it was impossible to get in Valve are the dumb@@@@@ who put out the code and that is why we are plagued by cheaters.I would go find a new game to play if I couldn't modify my config.I am getting really tired of the cheaters in TFC.This game is getting pathetic.We get em at the ville too and IMO some are regs but if the lame anti-cheat which barely works anymore doesn't spot them we can't ban them.The lame demomen who jump around shooting pipes right at there feet so they bounce perfect in your face are a prime example.Every other demoman you run into now has this lame exploit I could name a couple off hand that play here regularly.That is a prime example of a script that is a cheat.I know the exact script for it would I use it no that is a cheat IMO and I refuse to cheat at a game to look "tough" and claim I pwn.I can hold my own most of the time without cheating and have fun knowing i don't cheat.Time to save up money for a new game that isn't made by a company stupid enough to give out the code.If they wanted people to make mods so there game would keep being bought ie you have to buy half-life or Counterstrike to play the mods why didn't they spend the money themselves to hire pros.Instead they give it out to everyone and ruin it for all of us so they can make more money without spending any. #Fist #alien #Fist Valve and Sierra I would never buy another game made by them

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Computer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bada Bing wrote:
The lame demomen who jump around shooting pipes right at there feet so they bounce perfect in your face are a prime example.Every other demoman you run into now has this lame exploit I could name a couple off hand that play here regularly.That is a prime example of a script that is a cheat.I know the exact script for it would I use it no that is a cheat IMO and I refuse to cheat at a game to look "tough" and claim I pwn.

Well gee. Lets see. For one thing it doesn't make it easier to fight with genious. All it does is make it possible to but them right at your feet if the flag is stuck on a step or something of that variety. In fact it makes it much more difficult to DM b/c you move the opposite direction when looking straight down. Furthermore if someone is that close to you, you should be using the blue pipes and not the greenies. But instead you going to toss out accusition of cheating based on an uninfomed opinion. Please.

Exploit? Oh you want to discuss exploits eh? Rocket jumping IS and exploit, conc jumping IS and exploit, grenade jumping of any variety IS an exploit. These objects were not made with the purpose of accomplishing these tasks but someone figured out that if you do one thing you get a certain result. But your telling me that modifying the way that I move, which essentially no more than a configuration adjustment, is some how cheating.

Tough. bleh. I'm done.

Quote:

#Fist #alien #Fist Valve and Sierra I would never buy another game made by them

Got Angry?

GG![/u]
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you haven't played against a demo who is good at this method genius they are nearly impossible to kill one on one #Fist If all you do is flame people on our message boards why don't you take a leap off the nearest bridge.All you ever do is bash people like you know everything Lets all bow down now to Computer not You must be one of those PC people who get off on talking crap because you know they can't shove their fist in your big mouth

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. rjs.concs,and grenade jumps are all valid maneuvers but when a demo can shoot pipes straight down so they bounce right in your face while they look right at you and blow them up in your face is an exploit.Do you even know the meaning of the word exploit ?

Computer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: . Reply with quote

N0sT2aDamUs'003 wrote:
p.s Rj's and conc jumps are exploits......and flaming demos because you cant kill one then saying he has h4x is just lame..

w0rd.

Bada Bing wrote:
Guess you haven't played against a demo who is good at this method genius they are nearly impossible to kill one on one

Your right I've never played against any good demomen. Cough ^Mv cough tspam, cough BSU. Nope never played any of those guys. Oh yea but I forget they've decided to compete so I suppose that in and of itself makes whatever comment they've invalid.

Quote:
If all you do is flame people on our message boards why don't you take a leap off the nearest bridge.

So anyone wanna say that they've been flamed by me? Hmm not gonna get many takers there. I suppose they only time I've been less than polite would be on my rant about spammers, and if I am not seriuosly mistaken I wasn't only from my postion. So you wanna see someone who cares enough about you telling them to kill themselves, you'll have to look elsewhere b/c I find no need to respond to childish bullying. Wanna pick a fight with someone go look elsewhere b/c I refuse to stoop to that.

Quote:
Lets all bow down now to Computer

Lets!

Quote:
You must be one of those PC people who get off on talking crap because you know they can't shove their fist in your big mouth

Please your the only one who has come at this with hostility. Yea I was synical but how do you expect me to react to be called a cheater. Bleh, if I wanna put a little bit more effort into my configs and benefit as a restult of it then good for me, but to say that I'm cheating is at the very least wrong.

Quote:
P.S. rjs.concs,and grenade jumps are all valid maneuvers but when a demo can shoot pipes straight down so they bounce right in your face while they look right at you and blow them up in your face is an exploit.

Shooting pipes down so they smack you in the face doesn't require a script and is infact much easier to do when your not using cl_pitchdown 108.5 b/c you will be moving in the correct direction. The only application to this config alteration is to place pipes directly below your feet. Again I can assume that you havn't tried this b/c you don't know what your talking about.

Quote:
Do you even know the meaning of the word exploit ?

Websters Dictionary wrote:

ex·ploit Pronunciation Key (ksploit, k-sploit)
n.
An act or deed, especially a brilliant or heroic one. See Synonyms at feat1.

tr.v. ex·ploit·ed, ex·ploit·ing, ex·ploits (k-sploit, ksploit)
1. To employ to the greatest possible advantage: exploit one's talents.

Word!
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I play well enough without cheating that occasionally I'm able
to pull off things that surprise myself. If I can once in a great while
be 1337, I don't find it to hard to think that there can be people
that can do it routinely.

If a person happens to be pwning me I do not assume they must
be cheating. It's not even the first thought that crosses my mind,
especially with a player that has a good attitude and doesn't go
out of the way to interrupt the game flow. If that person is, in fact,
cheating, sucks to be them. Because that's a terribly hollow victory,
that they have so much pride and self hate that in a silly video game
they have to cheat. I'm willing to let them be alone with their own
emotions.

Because at some point you just need to decide to put the paranoia away
and enjoy the damn game. In fact, I think I'll go do that now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Demo "discussion" is confusing the heck out of me. Bouncing 'nades off the ground into an opponent's face is a tactic that you can pull off pretty easily without cheating. An expert player can do it with frightening accuracy, without running a single script.

I sincerely hope this isn't a case of mistaking "skill" for "cheating". The saying goes that sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. The same could be said for sufficiently advanced TFC skills.

And as TFC faces into obsolescence, the only people still playing will be the truly hardcore. So you'll be seeing a higher percentage of 1337 players at whatever servers are left.

Which is not to say that people don't cheat. #Fist
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: