FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dell...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I do desktop support for a company with over 40k+ dell workstations and laptops worldwide and I honestly dont see them to be bad at all. I personally built my PC from the ground up but when I had to get one for my mom, I got her a dell and she hasnt had any problems since. As long as you dont have any reason to call the Tech support that is in India, I think dells are fine. Now gateways, compaq and HP I absolutely cannot stand, but again thats all opinion and bad experiences.
GameOverMan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dell sucks. They use low end hardware and leave out the important details in there advertising. I make a living off showing people thge difference between dell and local pc shop machines. Plus all the crap they preload on there box's pisses me off...
- Shaft.

Are you stupid or something? I'm sorry but I couldn't help notice this guy. Low end hardware? It's near top of the line if you will pay. Important details in advertising? Like what? Showing people thge difference between dell and local pc shop machines? You haven't shown me the difference, really, I'd like to know. Preloaded crap? You're nuts. Dells come with an anti-virus, updated drivers, an OS, and a DVD program (if equiped with a DVD player). Just about everything else is optional.

Now lets go to a local PC shop.

You: Hi guys I need a fairly cheap but powerful PC for my son here.
Him: Ohh well we just got this Compaq in, brand new, only 2100$.
You: Hmm, whats so great about it?
Him: Top of the line pentium 4 proscescor, 2200 megahurtz!
You: Wow thats like 3x what my other PC has!
Him: And it even comes with 128 megs of RAM! With a 32 megabyte INTIGRATED video card! not even dell has that!

Later on...

Hmm. 3 free months of AOL!.
Now I'll be able to play DoD like all the other kids.

Even Later on...

wow I must be doing good, im getting 18 fps and have 430 ping!

Ack! What the hell are all these pop ups?! I'm getting them like every time I start my computer.

I hate this computer it sucks! #alien

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Dell: 1, Local PC Shop: 0
Negative Creep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a Dell for about a year now, and it is simply amazing. The only thing I have to complain about is that sorry excuse for a soundcard they gave me. It some sort of hybrid between a legacy and a soundblaster, I really freaking hate it but I don't have neough money to replace it soo....
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameOverMan wrote:
Quote:
Dell sucks. They use low end hardware and leave out the important details in there advertising. I make a living off showing people thge difference between dell and local pc shop machines. Plus all the crap they preload on there box's pisses me off...
- Shaft.

Are you stupid or something? I'm sorry but I couldn't help notice this guy. Low end hardware? It's near top of the line if you will pay. Important details in advertising? Like what? Showing people thge difference between dell and local pc shop machines? You haven't shown me the difference, really, I'd like to know. Preloaded crap? You're nuts. Dells come with an anti-virus, updated drivers, an OS, and a DVD program (if equiped with a DVD player). Just about everything else is optional.

Now lets go to a local PC shop.

You: Hi guys I need a fairly cheap but powerful PC for my son here.
Him: Ohh well we just got this Compaq in, brand new, only 2100$.
You: Hmm, whats so great about it?
Him: Top of the line pentium 4 proscescor, 2200 megahurtz!
You: Wow thats like 3x what my other PC has!
Him: And it even comes with 128 megs of RAM! With a 32 megabyte INTIGRATED video card! not even dell has that!

Later on...

Hmm. 3 free months of AOL!.
Now I'll be able to play DoD like all the other kids.

Even Later on...

wow I must be doing good, im getting 18 fps and have 430 ping!

Ack! What the hell are all these pop ups?! I'm getting them like every time I start my computer.

I hate this computer it sucks! #alien

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Dell: 1, Local PC Shop: 0

Lol... You do realize that by PC Shop he means a place where they build CUSTOM computers right? He doesnt mean off the shelf cookie-cutter PCs (thats exactly WHAT dell is and hes saying the opposite). My uncle also had a dell and every day he got these wierd popups and adds from dell for getting a new system, a new burner, and other stuff. It came loaded with crap like "AOL internet signup" "AOL highspeed internet signuo" "MSN easy internet access" and so forth as well. NONE of these programs were optional in ANY way there wasnt anything about a wackload of spam programs and adds in the dell advertisement OR on the dell website for that matter. And guess what? His ocmputer's power ssupply and motherboard died after a year - he only ued it maybe one hour a day and for the rest of the time it was turned off.

<TVB>Potato
ProudWhiteTrash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameOverMan wrote:
Quote:
- Shaft.

/me mutters to himself control your temper, dont call this guy a assclown that he is.....

Are you stupid? Dell is overpriced crap. I would take the time to explain it all to you and show you the difference between Dell and real computers but the way your post was written leads me to beleive that you wouldnt listen anyways. (/me mutters to himself dont make "Maybe its not that you wouldnt listen it could just be that your head is to far up your ass to hear" joke) Do some research, look at some prices. Go to there site and spec a pc online. Try to not pay for office or windows. Take a look at how much they charge for upgrading from 512 meg to 1 gig of ram. lol I can buy a gig of ram for 100 bux less than they charge for 512... Do you work for Dell?
Whatever

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work in my agency's IT shop, and I work at a place with about 800+ machines. We have about 125 Dell Latitude laptops, and they have been pretty good machines overall.

Now, we took off the OS and everything they loaded, and created our own image (using Ghost) for the machines.

We have Complete Care, and no matter how they get broke, they are repaired free of charge. When I say repaired, it is always hardware-related. We do all of the software support ourselves. I had one user who tripped and fell on his laptop, destroyed the screen. They sent me a new unit and that was that.

It probably helps that I get to call their Government support line, and that I troubleshoot all of the hardware before I call them. I can usually tell them what I have already done, and they can skip the checklist of things to tell me to do.

I would say between all the holding, I am only on the phone no more than 30 minutes per problem with their support. We have been pretty happy with them on that.

We did just order a large amount of servers from Dell, and they haven't been rolled out into our production environment yet. Don't know how their service will be on that one.

I will say for the general user, it is normally best for them to buy a computer already built, as very few of them want to take the time to put one together. If you can build one though, go for it, as they are always better in my opinion.

Play under the names...Darlon Jeel, The Ghost, The Spirit, and <NSA>Whatever
Darkath

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell

Ups:
1. Good technical support
2. Systems are very reliable

Downs:
1. They curb your hardware...meaning, they leave very little option to upgrade on your own, because they want you to buy more PCs from them
2. Overpriced, indeed

A person who is computer literate does not need a Dell because he/she is his/her own technical support.

BOTTTOM LINE:

If you're smart with computers, build your own

If you have no idea about computers, get a Dell

Concerning Dell Laptops:
I've yet to hear a bad thing about Dell laptops, except that they are too expensive. You are pretty much stuck with buying a laptop from a computer manufacturer because laptops = pain in the ass to build (or so I've heard)

^^^ Clicky

Last edited by Darkath on Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Negative Creep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkath wrote:
Dell

Ups:
1. Good technical support
2. Systems are very reliable

Downs:
1. They curb your hardware...meaning, they leave very little option to upgrade on your own, because they want you to buy more PCs from them
2. Overpriced, indeed

A person who is computer literate does not need a Dell because he/she is his/her own technical support.

BOTTTOM LINE:

If you're smart with computers, build your own

If you have no idea about computers, get a Dell

Yeah, what he said.
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol... Either way Im not allowed to spend the money on a computer... My mom wont let me buy the computer (even though I have almost two times the amount saved) Shaft and JD helped me design on NCIX.com and she wont let me upgrade my current computer - even though I cant because its too outdated... This really sucks #Cussing out. The only way I can get a new computer is by applying to colleges/universities next year and NOT joining the army in any way ... So unfair.

<TVB>Potato
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha no army and go to your room! life is tough... take the college course. in the long run you should be better off.

Draw the line at the computer though....tell her its ok...by ROOF

Man are you going to get in trouble with that!
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol roof. I really want to join the army though. I cant stand going to school for another eight years (for graphics animation courses and modeling and so forth) after Ive been for 13 years already! What really ticks me off is the fact that Ive worked over 100 hours on ASF and I cant even really develope it easy - because of my current PC Specs Id have to have someone else run the exe and help me debug it.

<TVB>Potato
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: