FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Love and War
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demosthenes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Love and War Reply with quote

You have all heard the saying "All is fair in love and war". My point is that love is war. You must strategically plan your move and one wrong move can be very decisive. You must always plan ahead and guard yourself. You must also expect your opponant to always know your next move because again the wrong step can mean the difference between winning or losing. In all honesty, love is probably alot more difficult than war. If you are to lose a battle, thats ok, there will always be more battles throughout a lifespan, but if you let one love slip through your fingers than you may never know or feel love. That may be your only chance at true happiness. A love can break your heart and you will never be the same again. Knowing this, why do we insist on doing something so dangerous as to love another. The reason I feel for this is that, although there are billions of people on this planet, we are essentially alone. We can never fully explain to another human being our thoughts. Therefore no matter how many people we surround ourselves with, we are prisoners in our own mind. This is always our weakness and one that feeds our need to love. Loving someone is about as close you can get to explaining and bearing your mind, heart, and soul to another person. Even then we are still essentially alone, but this manages to help us bear it a little better. My advice to all is, don't let love slip through your hands, no matter what the cost. If you do, you will forever regret it, and you will be truly and horribly alone in life.
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me start off by saying Welcome to the forums

Very well written/said. However some of what was said I disagree with. Love is not something that hard to achieve. True love is easy to achieve once you have found the right person. You will know when you have found the right person and only you will know. Those around you may try to pursued you otherwise but you will know. Once attaind it is one of the easiest things to keep. For me it is not a war at all. It is something treasured.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we can choose not to war...but try choosing not to love...

Welcome to the forums. I hope you stick around and post more.
Secret Agent Man

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats very well said...reminds me how i screwed up....

aa, oshiete sensei-san
JtH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, nice work Demosthenes. very well written.

jack

ps WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if their is war love and war hate why is it called murder when u kill a person in the heat of passion but when u kill a person in the heat of battle its called heroic? i mean both are wars just on 2 different battlefields.

Mr.Kason Allen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey good job on the post very well written. Nice grammar and spelling plus it made sense! You started off better than I did so you should be considered a genius in a short while . Hmm speaking of love I just got turned down 2 days ago WOOT FOR ME! That means Saturday I go get drunk at Codys house. YAY!.....Enjoy your stay
Seele_Kriecher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karson i thought your dad reads these forums lol. welcome to the forums Demonstrawhatever!
Seele_Kriecher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j/k
Monk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... The pebbles have done you some good. You write as the older Demosthenes would have spoken. It isn't very often that we have the honor to read the thoughts of a well educated man on these forums, so thank you for your post. I hope you stick around.
Monk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[WgD]Darude wrote:
so far i have seen one other person from enders game and then i also use an enders game name

I have to admit, I can't remember such a character in Enders Game. The Demosthenes that I was referring to in my previous post was the great Greek orator who practiced speaking with pebbles in his mouth to overcome his stuttering. An inspiration to many in oration.
Demosthenes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monk is correct. I don't know what Ender's Game is. I assume it is a book. I might have to pick it up and read it.
JtH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read enders game, its very good. speaker for the dead is actually the second book in the series. Demosthenes is an alter ego created by valentine, enders sister, and peter assumes the pen name of Locke. in case you dont know who locke. hes the great man who gave us Life Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness. Only thomas jefferson edited his a bit. Lockes original statement was Life, liberty and property. Very very good books. I read the whole ender series, from enders game to shadow puppets. Also the parralel novel you are talking about darude is in fact ender's shadow, not shadow puppets. Also if you like those books, you will also enjoy the homecoming series by Card. Im reading the last book in that series. Its very good. not as easy to read as ender's game though. its a little bit tougher and has alot of hidden theology in it. Youd have to read it to know what im talking about.

Anyway, i admire your choice for a name. Demosthenes was an amazing speaker and was very influential. I read up on him after i saw your post. very amazing stuff. Too bad he killed himself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, Indeed very well worded, a true pleasure to read. Here is my out-look on war and love:

While love and war are intimately connected, I personally believe war is the product of two systems, also thus entwined by one single cause, which is love. Neither love nor war is easier or harder than the other, because each contains elements of both love and war. In my own personal opinion, war can stem from two things. The first is a seeming absense(or neglectfull indifference) in love for one another. If the love is not present between two brothers, neighbors, countries, or even dieties, conflict is often the resultant factor. It is not always immediately apparent if there is an absense of love between two entities, but as is so often the case, this is realized after the fact, and far too late.
The second scenario is that of too much love, also known as perverted love. In the series written by Dante Allegheri, known as the "Divine Comedy," Love is the deciding factor in who goes where in hell, and if they are worthy, heaven. Just as was stated previous, those who did not love either enough or at all were thus accursed to a certain circle. However, many of those that were below them in circles suffered from the second scenario, perverted love. A form of perverted love is Rage, which destroys others around it. Another form of perverted love is most commonly known as Jealousy. Jealousy will afflict the mind in most, and causes the destruction of ones self. The most destructive form of perverted love is known as Vengence, which tears at others as well as the one who bears its curse. Any of these can be the prequisite of any other, and these alone are the cause of most wars in the history of humanity.

Love is like Gold. It is the currency of life, and it can be used in any way, to achieve any goal. It is malleable, and can be molded and used just like Gold. What it is eventually turned in to, it cannot control, and it can be for the better or worse. When there is too much, it is harmfull to the buyer, and it corrupts him. When there is too little, less valuable things are bought to replace it, and thus the buyer becomes dilluded as to what it is really worth. And just like Gold, when there is too little or too much, conflict amongst men occurs. There is no way to deny it, we are who we are, and thus is the way of things past, present, and things to come.

Well that was fun, I hope to have more of such theological discussions with you Demosthenese, perhapse I should change my name to Locke (I too have read Ender's Game, a truely masterfull work)

Peace out yall

Locke
(A.K.A.)
-KK

P.S. Welcome to the boards

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice read, KopiKat. Much you said I agree with fully. To sum up what you have said I will make this statement: Love, either too little, or too much, can bring even the most battle hardened human to their knees, and break them.

That being said, I believe love is one of the most important things lacking in our society today. Since when did it become ok and acceptable to treat your fellow humans with so much pain and suffering. Why is it ok for a father to abandon his children. Why is it ok for us to fight wars that will solve nothing. Why is it alright to get mad and strike someone for being against your point of view. In my eyes we are all human, I think it's time for some of us to prove just how human we are. That's what we need. We need people to stand together, and honor eachother, forgive and forget when it is needed. Noone should feel the need to kill, to wage war against nations. I don't care if you are black, white, brown, or even purple. You are still a human and you deserve to be treated as one.

On another note, I will have to buy that book and read it. It sounds pretty good and interesting.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: