FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Nuclear Response against WMD

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you think the US has the right to strike first without being 100% sure a country might use theirs against us first ?
Yes! (Please Explain)
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
No! (Why)
66%
 66%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 15

SpeCies

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Nuclear Response against WMD Reply with quote

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States reminded Iraq and other countries on Tuesday that it was prepared to use nuclear weapons if necessary to respond to an attack from weapons of mass destruction.

The warning, which underscored longstanding U.S. policy leaving open the use of nuclear weapons if needed, was contained in a statement of U.S. strategy against nuclear, chemical and biological weapons -- the first update since 1993.

The six-page strategy document says deterring attacks with the threat of "overwhelming force" is an essential element in protecting America and its allies from weapons of mass destruction, also known as WMD.

"The United States will continue to make clear that it reserves the right to respond with overwhelming force -- including through resort to all our options -- to the use of WMD against the United States, our forces abroad, and friends and allies," the strategy report said.

"In addition to our conventional and nuclear response and defense capabilities, our overall deterrent posture against WMD threats is reinforced by effective intelligence, surveillance, interdiction and domestic law enforcement capabilities," it said.

Senior U.S. officials said the passage was not included the previous U.S. strategy document on weapons of mass destruction, which emphasized efforts to prevent proliferation, and said the new document did not represent a shift in U.S. policy on when it would use nuclear weapons.

But the passage was put in the new report as part of an increased emphasis on the role of deterrence against a weapons of mass destruction attack, they said.

Other major elements of the new strategy include strengthening nonproliferation measures, beefing up defenses and combating the effects of an attack on the population.

The strategy report was released amid the looming possibility of war with Iraq, which the United States accuses of possessing weapons of mass destruction, officials said.

"The language speaks for itself, and I think it does apply to any state that would use weapons of mass destruction against us," a senior official said.

But the warning emphasizes and makes explicit for other countries a private warning Bush's father, former President George Bush, made in a letter to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein (news - web sites) on the eve of the first Gulf War (news - web sites).

In that letter, the United States threatened the "severest consequences" if Iraq were to use chemical or biological weapons against the United States, destroy Kuwaiti oil fields or participate in terrorism.

"It was clear in terms of the message that we would respond with all of our options. ... The Iraqis have told us that they interpreted that letter as meaning the United States would use nuclear weapons, and it was a powerful deterrent," the official said.

Although Iraq later set fire to Kuwaiti oil fields and supported terrorism, the official said, it did not "cross the line" of using chemical or biological weapons.

Darkath

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should leave Iraq alone, and let them do their thing. If Iraq attacks us in any way, then we nuke them. But we haven't found any WMD's yet, so I don't think we should do anything.

^^^ Clicky
SpeCies

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just sitting here thinking about this after reading the artical.

What a decision Bush will have if a situation like this happens. I don't think it will involve a middle easteran country either! It's not a question if it's going to happen as much as it is when ? My guess is it's going too involve N.Korea or China. It is a scary time too be growing up in a world where tomorrow isn't promised to anyone. Where a nuclear winter might be the new season that will ultimately never change accept our world as we now know it.
:usa
Azrael

Location: Cuba, you got someting to say about dat mang!?!? Guild: TVB

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being from the intel community, I feel that alot of people don't understand the threat that is posed by a certain middle eastern country. I don't want to nuke people any more than anyone else, and I sure as hell don't want to go to war over there. My reason for not wanting to go is this; Saddam has used them (chem and bio weapons) before, and I'm pretty sure that if he were backed into a corner, he'd use them this time. Those of you who think that we haven't found evidence of WMD's in Iraq, you do not se what we see. We can't show you everything we get because it could compromise the source or method of gathering, but have no doubt, when the prez gets up and says we have evidence, we really do, this is not some propaganda scheme to make Iraq look bad.

Most wont remember the Iran/Iraq war (raise yer hand if you do, then go take some geritol or sumthin). I barely do, but since my AOR is that whole area, I have know the history of the area. Saddam gassed the Iranis several times, killing whole towns. There was a horrible photo of some Iranis who had tried to run. They didn't make it, especially the little baby one of the adults was carrying. He also electrified a marshland and basically electrocuted A lot if Irani soldiers, my dialect teacher was a reporter for iraqi tv when it happened, she fled the country afterwards.

When ol' GW said there was an "Axis of Evil", he didn't pull 3 names out of a hat (or his butt). The North Koreans cried foul, then shut their mouths quick when we proved they had nukes. The Iranis cried foul too, but everyone knows they are the largest official sponser of terrorism in the world, they actually have funds allocated in their budget for groups like Hizb Allah. How many times will we be doubted before people shut up and listen? I am fairly certain that the U.S. would not use nukes in a preemptive fashion, and I hope to God we're not put in the position where we feel that we have to use them in retaliation.

All that being said, I honestly don't think Saddam will cooperate for long. He has historically had a problem with doing so, and I don't think this time will be any different. Does that scare me? Damn Skippy!! It scares me that I'd prolly be on the first flight over there, and it scares me that all my friends would be there with me. It also scares me cause we'd be the first to get gassed if anything did happen. But it's something I'm willing to do to make sure he can't give bugs to terrorists who like to put things like that in water supplies. I got to read some of the manuals from the Alqaeda camps when I was in Afghanistan, and that shit freaked me out. Those dudes do not need any more help!!

Well, I guess I kind of wandered and turned this into a rant, but I'm tired of people being uninformed of the facts (not that it's anyone's fault), and I guess I had something to get off my chest. This whole thing has me kind of frustrated, since it seems like everytime something shitty happens (lately), it has something to do with the part of the world I'm familiar with. Ugggh.

I need a drink. #Beer
SpeCies

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, Alqaeda just isn't in Afghanastan ? They have cells pretty much scattered around the world Azrael, S.Korea being one. Did you read the artical today about the shipment of missles headed there that was intercepted. The government unfortunitly does not enclose the exact facts to it's enlisted men either, I remember a big fubar concerning a certain airbase in Panama where the SF had their tails handed to them due too they were misinformed. Sure, being enlisted does has it's perks but face it, classified intel is only as good as your security clearance allows. As far S.Korea goes, this is just forming into another Bay of Pigs. Only this time it's not russia and cuba. Iraq if they do retaliate could use nerve agents as they did on numerous occassions. Your right! But that's our own fault since england developed it in 1962 and exchanging the plans with us for our Thermal Nuclear weapon technology.

Where would we be today if russia was sucessful ?

WASHINGTON (AP) - A ship carrying a dozen Scud-type missiles believed to originate in North Korea (news - web sites) was intercepted in the Arabian Sea on Tuesday, the White House said. U.S. officials said the missiles were at least initially headed for Yemen.

Reuters Photo

The ship was stopped and boarded about 600 miles east of the Horn of Africa, after close tracking by U.S. intelligence, said U.S. officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

The ship contained about a dozen short- to medium-range missiles, similar to the Scud missiles used by Iraq in the Persian Gulf War (news - web sites), the officials said. It also contained missile parts.

The Bush administration met the discovery with a measured reaction, declining to characterize either how much concern it raised among U.S. officials or the range of options for a response. A White House spokesman for national security issues said the United States would enlist the help of U.S. allies in the region to fashion its next move — a decidedly diplomatic, and possibly slow, approach.

"This is an issue of concern," said spokesman Sean McCormack. "We are working with other governments to figure out the next step."

McCormack said the immediate tasks were to deal with the crew, identified as from North Korea, and to secure the ship.

The ship allegedly carrying the missiles was stopped by two vessels from the Spanish Navy participating in Operation Enduring Freedom, the U.S.-led global anti-terrorism coalition, said Alberto Martinez Arias, a spokesman for Spain's Defense Ministry.

Crews from the Spanish ships, the Navarra and Patino, stopped the unflagged ship "Sosan" east of the island of Socotora and called U.S. authorities for assistance, Martinez said. The Spanish Navy stopped and boarded the ship after its crew refused to identify themselves.

The North Korean captain of the Sosan initially told Spanish officials the ship was carrying cement. The Scuds were discovered shortly thereafter, Martinez said.

The ship was being held in the area while the search continued and as U.S. experts, who shortly afterward boarded the vessel, made sure that any explosive materials were neutralized, U.S. officials said. It was not clear where the ship was registered, a senior administration official said.

Officials said the shipment did not appear to be headed for Iraq. However, the senior administration official said that although the ship was headed for Yemen, it was unclear whether it — and the missiles on board — had another destination beyond that.

Yemen has been identified by the United States as a nation that has harbored terrorists, although its government has been an ally of the United States in the war against global terrorism. Yemen's port of Aden was the site of the October 2000 attack on the USS Cole (news - web sites) by terrorists, which killed 17 sailors.

Yemeni officials contacted late Tuesday said they had no information concerning the ship, its contents or its boarding by international forces.

The boarding of the ship occurred as Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld was traveling in the area.

It was unclear precisely what missiles were aboard the seized vessel. North Korea has built and exported at least two missiles in the Scud class: the Scud B and the Scud D, or No Dong.

Without providing specifics, the senior administration official said the United States has evidence beyond the identity of the crew to identified the missiles as originating in North Korea.

Scud B missiles were produced in large numbers by the former Soviet Union and ended up in Iraq and North Korea, among other nations. The missiles are very inaccurate, often break up in flight and have a range of less than 200 miles.

The Scud D, or No Dong, missile produced by North Korea is advanced compared with the Scud B. It has a range of about 840 miles and can carry a conventional, chemical or nuclear warhead. Iran and Pakistan use modified versions of the No Dong, and Pakistan's are fitted to carry nuclear warheads.

Azrael wrote:
Being from the intel community, I feel that alot of people don't understand the threat that is posed by a certain middle eastern country. I don't want to nuke people any more than anyone else, and I sure as hell don't want to go to war over there. My reason for not wanting to go is this; Saddam has used them (chem and bio weapons) before, and I'm pretty sure that if he were backed into a corner, he'd use them this time. Those of you who think that we haven't found evidence of WMD's in Iraq, you do not se what we see. We can't show you everything we get because it could compromise the source or method of gathering, but have no doubt, when the prez gets up and says we have evidence, we really do, this is not some propaganda scheme to make Iraq look bad.

Most wont remember the Iran/Iraq war (raise yer hand if you do, then go take some geritol or sumthin). I barely do, but since my AOR is that whole area, I have know the history of the area. Saddam gassed the Iranis several times, killing whole towns. There was a horrible photo of some Iranis who had tried to run. They didn't make it, especially the little baby one of the adults was carrying. He also electrified a marshland and basically electrocuted A lot if Irani soldiers, my dialect teacher was a reporter for iraqi tv when it happened, she fled the country afterwards.

When ol' GW said there was an "Axis of Evil", he didn't pull 3 names out of a hat (or his butt). The North Koreans cried foul, then shut their mouths quick when we proved they had nukes. The Iranis cried foul too, but everyone knows they are the largest official sponser of terrorism in the world, they actually have funds allocated in their budget for groups like Hizb Allah. How many times will we be doubted before people shut up and listen? I am fairly certain that the U.S. would not use nukes in a preemptive fashion, and I hope to God we're not put in the position where we feel that we have to use them in retaliation.

All that being said, I honestly don't think Saddam will cooperate for long. He has historically had a problem with doing so, and I don't think this time will be any different. Does that scare me? Damn Skippy!! It scares me that I'd prolly be on the first flight over there, and it scares me that all my friends would be there with me. It also scares me cause we'd be the first to get gassed if anything did happen. But it's something I'm willing to do to make sure he can't give bugs to terrorists who like to put things like that in water supplies. I got to read some of the manuals from the Alqaeda camps when I was in Afghanistan, and that shit freaked me out. Those dudes do not need any more help!!

Well, I guess I kind of wandered and turned this into a rant, but I'm tired of people being uninformed of the facts (not that it's anyone's fault), and I guess I had something to get off my chest. This whole thing has me kind of frustrated, since it seems like everytime something shitty happens (lately), it has something to do with the part of the world I'm familiar with. Ugggh.

I need a drink. #Beer

Last edited by SpeCies on Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Azrael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I was planning on writing a lot of stuff, but I'm just going to put this in a few bullets.

1. Of course Alqaeda isn't just in Afghanistan, I was just speaking from personal experience.

2. I did read the article, maybe you should read it again, as the missiles came from North Korea. http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/east/12/11/missile.ship/index.html

3. You're right, the info is only as good as the clearance level, but you don't get higher than mine, you only go sideways from me. I'm not a grunt with a Secret clearance.

4.being enlisted has no perks. Not unless you want to count less pay and more responsibility as perks.

5. N. Korea is not a new ballgame, we've been watching them for decades.

6. Do you have any idea how many countries Alqaeda is in? You might want to cancel your travel arrangements if you're going over seas.

7. Give me a little more credit when I talk about things I know. When you have worked with the CIA, DHS, DIA, NSA, State Dep, and INS, you can tell me I'm full of shit. (This is not intended to be any kind of smack down, just making my point)

8. I need sleep<<steps off soap-box>>[/u]
JohnCarterofMars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a shame that it comes to this folx. I do remember the Iraq/Iran war and it was not a pretty thing. I also remember the Iran hostage affair and several other events that occured in the middle east before many of you were twinkles in your father's eyes. Its only going to get worse before it gets better.

Unfortunately (as it always is with this sort of thing) religious and cultural differences are aids for the pissed off and power hungry leaders to utilize against the infidels (anyone who does not believe or live like them). Thus this will likely continue until an entire culture is wiped out or assimilated. The latter very unlikely and the former too close for comfort.

Az, thanks for doing your job for our freedoms and I hope that you and your friends do not have to return and suffer the calamity of war again. Maybe it will be worked out... Ha fat chance right?

Well, whatever the outcome of this situation and similar situations in the future, we will always have to deal with the things that our parents left us with. Thank you forefathers for the Manhattan Project and the H-bombing of Japan in WWII. Thanks for creating things that are evil in essence so that we can "ensure our freedoms and securities". I seem to remember Nuke Drills in school as a child. Gotta love that, maybe we will get to enjoy similar days again?

BAH! Now we are free to fear mass destruction and death by nerve gas. What a world our parents have left for us and now we have to deal with it. Oh, well... Don't worry Az this thread is built for rants. That's all we can do, besides sit around watching what the gov't wants us to see and hold our loved ones close and hope for peace....

CAN WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

BTW, I voted no. No one would be here if the answer was a yes 50 years ago....

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SpeCies

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azrael wrote:
Dude, I was planning on writing a lot of stuff, but I'm just going to put this in a few bullets.

1. Of course Alqaeda isn't just in Afghanistan, I was just speaking from personal experience.

2. I did read the article, maybe you should read it again, as the missiles came from North Korea. http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/east/12/11/missile.ship/index.html

That was my point Azrael, the missiles came from S.Korea who has been forwarned about it's production of nuclear weapons. The ship was released and allowed too proceed Yemen (Yeah Man) Oman (Oh Man) with yemen's word that they would'nt sell the weapons to anyone. Although they were just scud missiles with the chemicals to boot they could of just as easily been a nuclear which was headed to a port somewhere here along our shores and then what? We just did not not watch them close enough. Just like the 5 warnings that were made that contained information about planes being used to strike our country. This was totally ignored prior to 9/11 by our government as just rubbish.

3. You're right, the info is only as good as the clearance level, but you don't get higher than mine, you only go sideways from me. I'm not a grunt with a Secret clearance.

4.being enlisted has no perks. Not unless you want to count less pay and more responsibility as perks.

I meant this as, Depending on your security clearance you are still not told everything AZ nomatter how high your your status is . If your not going to be involved than it falls under the title of "Need to know". I am not saying that you don't! Just not all who are enlisted that is. I do agree with you Azrael that our military personal don't get paid enough for what they do and commit eachday for our country.

What I find pathetic is all of the Football, Baseball, NBA Pro's and College Coaches/Players who are getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars each year for training these people too play a damn game when Soldiers, Police officers, Firefighters are paying the ultimate price for their country and fellow americans.

What is even worse I think is when these players go on strike asking for more $$$ or they won't play. Greedy S.O.B's!

5. N. Korea is not a new ballgame, we've been watching them for decades.

6. Do you have any idea how many countries Alqaeda is in? You might want to cancel your travel arrangements if you're going over seas.

7. Give me a little more credit when I talk about things I know. When you have worked with the CIA, DHS, DIA, NSA, State Dep, and INS, you can tell me I'm full of shit. (This is not intended to be any kind of smack down, just making my point)

I never tried to discredit you Azrael, I just put my 2 cents in as all. I appreciate it. Your point is well taken

8. I need sleep<<steps off soap-box>>[/u]

Last edited by SpeCies on Wed Dec 11, 2002 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion Nukes are the most worthless weapon ever created because its going to take some super huge cahonies to use them. Our nukes are basically for intimadation only, and I think the statement that was released is more a deterrent then a threat of actually using them. Even though Washington says it will now shift from a stance of retaliatory strikes to preemptive ones, I still think its going to take an EXTREME threat for us to Nuke someone and make that area utterly useless for the next 120 years or so due to fallout. Are we saying we would use them?? YES, is that likely to happen? probably not. If managed to go 50 years in the cold war without ever using one, (even with the cuban missile crisis) then its going to take a huge threat for us to use one now. JMO
5th GHG E.G. Mine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nukes don't kill people. The moron who built them does.
(Recalls "4th Of July" by Soundgarden).
Azrael

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ack, NORTH Korea, NORTH Korea, oh my ulcer. Species do you have a different abbreviation for North? (J/K) #Fade in

And while you're right about things falling in the realm of need to know, in the new world of anti-terrorism, the lines have been muddled, whereas before you would not usually find guys in my field working with Counter-terrorism guys, now it happens alot, I myself have worked with them several times.

As for the missiles
CNN wrote:
"Obviously this was suspected by American authorities for some time and I think it is what it is," U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage said shortly after arriving in Beijing, China, for talks.

I think it's safe to say we knew where they were the whole time, but politics will be politics. Sure, the scuds are in yemen, but scuds are a horribly inaccurate missile used in "pot shot" situations, where you're just trying to hit a huge general area, with a max range of some 500 miles on some of the newer missiles. Since we had no legal course to hold them, it was better to return them to a country where we can keep an eye on them.

on a side note, if you want to tell someone to go stick it where the sun don't shine , say "NIK NAFSEK" (literally, go fak yerself)
in farsi, it would be "KHAFEH SHO" (literally STFU)
so the next time you run into a terrorist, you'll know the culturally acceptable way to respond to them!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: