FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TFC on TV (no, I mean television...)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:41 pm    Post subject: TFC on TV (no, I mean television...) Reply with quote

I read an article the other day about the popularity of PC games in Korea. Games are huge there. They have shops/bars called PC Bangs that have tables of PC's and fat pipes, and people rent the computers to play online, and browse the internet. Some of the games are so popular that they broadcast matches on TV! They have announcers, and color commentators, even realtime stats. Japan, and some other Asian countries aren't far behind.

Which got me thinking...

When will the U.S. broadcast its first online match on TV? Gaming is becoming more popular, and broadband penetration is growing. Pretty soon there may be enough 11-25 year old white males (the vast majority of American gamers) to actually drive the advertising funds for a televised Quake or TFC match. If you combined it with a Bikini contest, you could really lock up that demographic

Frankly, I really enjoy watching HLTV demos of good clans play each other. I like it at least as much as Monday Night Football, and I'm a big Madden fan (he's just so big and dumb, you gotta love him). Maybe I'm strange, but probably strange in the same way that the rest of you people are

Here's my prediction:
There will be a televised game match on TV (or cable, and I'm not talking webcast) before 2010!

What do you all think?

Once you accept that this might be a reality, a lot of other stuff follows...
= Sponsored Club teams - affiliated with schools or businesses ( I played club volleyball, but this kind of thing exists for a lot of other sports too, and are feeder programs for College and Semi-pro sports leagues)
...then => Actual NCAA approved Collegiate competition
...then => Scholarships
...then => Active recruiting
...then => Sports writers covering Electronic Game competitions
...then => Professional leagues
...then => Product endorsements
...then => Geeks getting as much tail as professional athletes!

O.K. maybe that's a slippery slope, but the possibilities are there

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give it about a decade or less. It's getting there, just slowly. I.e. EGM on CNNHeadline News, I mean C'MON HURRY UP ALREADY! I WANT GAMING TO RULE NOW!

Besides, I know I'd support it. I play computer instead of watching TV anyday.
Kazebari
Official Mall Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And next....

all wars/violence will be fought on the basis of gaming, so there will be no bloodshed!

Hurray!
RF

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Quite possibly Reply with quote

The korean cyber cafes are always full.

Game matches being on TV might not actually be too far away. I think that it will get there depending on how popular multiplayer gaming becomes. Actually something i think that's pretty cool is that MTV is going to be at the upcoming Winter CPL. Something that i thought was pretty interesting. Too bad they are there for Unreal Tournament but hey, it's coming.

BTW http://www.cyberathlete.com/ for those that don't know what the CPL is.
SpeCies

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

America maybe #1 in alot of thing's but technology compared to Asian countrys go concerning gaming we are not. I've even heard of people making a living off professional gaming ? Who was that kid who was so popular in DM Quake
"Thresh" or something close too it.

Anyway, why not? there is a big demand for it. When is another story.

Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: TFC on TV (no, I mean television...) Reply with quote

Wood wrote:

If you combined it with a Bikini contest, you could really lock up that demographic

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHHEHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH an Hw in a bikini I can picture it now lmpao. Good idea, maybe tv should broadcast hltv on its website...

[RS]Potato-VS-
Goldom

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm... it's already been done...

Well, not simply televised game match, but pieces from tournament game matches televised, to commentary. The show is.. ehh... i mix up all their shows names... I think it's Arena, on the G4 channel.

http://www.g4tv.com
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeCies wrote:

America maybe #1 in alot of thing's but technology compared to Asian countrys go concerning gaming we are not. I've even heard of people making a living off professional gaming ? Who was that kid who was so popular in DM Quake
"Thresh" or something close too it.

Anyway, why not? there is a big demand for it. When is another story.

Actually, you can make a living off professional gaming here in America too

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Dominator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, man that would be cool, i do not think it would go over well in america though, lol....Some parents will complain about it! It would be cool for the people that were well into gaming though
GoldenSpy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol I would love to see a sports commentator trying to write (or broadcast) a piece on gaming that would actually make sense to non-gamers, but still get close enough to the target it doesn't make real gamers piss themselves laughing at the guy.

Imagine your grandmother coming up to you and asking what a " #Newbie " is
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldom wrote:
Ummm... it's already been done...

Well, not simply televised game match, but pieces from tournament game matches televised, to commentary. The show is.. ehh... i mix up all their shows names... I think it's Arena, on the G4 channel.

http://www.g4tv.com

hmm, I've never even heard of 'g4' b4 (haha, i made a joke ) what exactly is their other programming??

Having tournaments and stuff online would be awesome
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLTV does rock watching demos or a live match is too cool

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Secret Agent Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. yeah we have those cyber cafes her ein CA...they havent reached the eastcost yet? funny thing is my friend curtis gets kicked out of them for being too good..... and the owners/employies dont want to face it that hes white and that good... well any ways.. yeah they are every where here

aa, oshiete sensei-san
Hosway[CJP]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kazebari wrote:
And next....

all wars/violence will be fought on the basis of gaming, so there will be no bloodshed!

Hurray!

I like the sound of that. But what about for those people that can't afford a computer? Will it take time for them to get a hold of what technology has to offer? I hope so. Then we can all chill

---
Hosway[CJP] is now Doppelgangster.
Come, let's talk with swords!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: