FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
help me plz. :URGENT: (thx for all ur help. cards in. :).)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: help me plz. :URGENT: (thx for all ur help. cards in. :).) Reply with quote

ok not that urgent but... im trying to install my graphics card. i know how to put the card in my machine etc.

but im told to first.

geforce2 users guide wrote:
please first configure your operating system to use a standard VGA driver befor installing the AGP VGA card.

how the hell do i go about doing that. it's probably really obviouse.. im using ME,.... but im used to 98.. so i aint got a clue where to go and what to do to configure the standard VGA driver.

Last edited by bobins on Fri Dec 06, 2002 11:00 am; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
SpeCies

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick Control panel

then Display..

Pick Adapter then change it to Standard vga then reboot.
SpeCies

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

makesure you change the settings in your bios to type of card also

Change it from PCI to AGP
bobins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what i havent done. i havent changed my bios settings. thanks . ill try that now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standard VGA driver?

well... uh... don't know if you *have* to do that, but assuming you do: if you right-click on "my computer", then go to "properties" in the menu, that should bring you to a window with 4 tabs across the top... the 2nd tab will be "device manager"... this is your driver/hardware problems best buddy. It'll list everything that's installed in your PC, and if a device is having a problem, it'll show a little yellow "!" or a red "x" over the device...

anyway, once you're in the device manager, about the 3rd thing down the list will be display adapters... if you single click on "display adapters", it'll expand down to a list of the ones in your PC... I'm assuming you only have one... then double click on the adapter... that'll bring up a window with 3 tabs... click the "driver" tab, and then "update driver"... This is the "update device driver wizard", or something like that. It'll then do a fairly long step-by-step process of picking a driver... somewhere in that process, there will be window with 2 choices: basically "search for a driver", or "select a specific one from a list"... you want to select from the list.

It'll then go to a window with two white boxes for vid card manufacturers and that company's vid card types... below that are two options... one is "show compatible hardware" and one is "show all hardware"... you want to show all hardware... when you click that, the amount of stuff in the two boxes will increase dramatically... in the left box, the top of the list should be something like "standard display types"... click on that, and on the right side, you should see "standard display adapter (VGA)"... click that, continue the install process, and you should be good to go.

I checked this on windoze98, but it should be very similar if not exactly the same in windozeMe

Once you go to the standard VGA driver, your graphics will suck the big one, so get that new card in and installed as fast as you can!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bobins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i followed what you said to do. the graphics are sh*t and stuff. so i inserted the card into my comp... closed up the come.. connected the monitor to the new card. and lonebehold... it didnt work. my comp beeped like mad at me.. and the monitor didnt turn on... boo hoo. wtf is wrong with this.... ill have another go in a min, but do any of you have any other sugestions. TIA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makesure that you have your card seated in the AGP slot: It's a seperate slot from where your PCI soundcard is in and it should be located behind your cpu Bobins.

After this makesure that your Bios is set to AGP .

bobins wrote:
ok i followed what you said to do. the graphics are sh*t and stuff. so i inserted the card into my comp... closed up the come.. connected the monitor to the new card. and lonebehold... it didnt work. my comp beeped like mad at me.. and the monitor didnt turn on... boo hoo. wtf is wrong with this.... ill have another go in a min, but do any of you have any other sugestions. TIA

bobins

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll try again now. im sure that my card was pluged in properly. i konw were it should go cos on my work experience i was building comps from scratch for 2 weeks.. but i only had to put in the parts.. some techy installed the software.

i hate ME. i know exactly were everythin is in 98. i may decide to switch back when i can be bothered. well ill try this now. *crosses fingers*

ill keep you posted. thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... i switches to the "standard display driver VGA"... i set the bios n all.. but when i put in the card.. n pressed the magic "ON" button... the monitor didnt display nothin.. and my comp beeped at me...

i givin up for tonight. its now 12AM... and yeah im knackered. i will be askin my computing tutor in skl tomorrow.. n c what he thinks.. and if any of you have any other sugestions i'd b extreamly greatfull. thanks ppl.

ill give it another go tomorrow.. n hope.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobins, are you sure the videocard is operational? Kind of a stupid question but what make is your motherboard? The reason that I am asking is, a PCI videocard only needs a 33mhz frontend bus speed to work where an AGP need's a minimum bus speed of 66mhz.

Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobins did you check you power supply? Certain video cards required a high power supply? Did check with your manufacture for a bios update?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbins did you take it out of the box first?

Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you turn the monitor on?? Did you plug the cables in?? Sometimes the simplest things are the ones you forget.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadKennedys wrote:

#Rofl
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadKennedys wrote:

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: