FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Dustbowl Crap or Crap?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Does dustbowl sOxOR?
Hell yes!
54%
 54%  [ 18 ]
Nah, I love being a llama defender!
45%
 45%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 33

JohnCarterofMars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Dustbowl Crap or Crap? Reply with quote

Well, I am here to express my extreme distaste for dustbowl. It soXoR to the maximum. Take it out of the rotation please!

If you are defending then it isn't so bad but the attackers are in a bad way when this map starts and it doesn't get any better as the cap moves up.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ProudWhiteTrash

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your missing one option.....

I love the challenge of attacking all the time.

I play DB lots and the only time I defend is if I will make the teams uneven by joining the attackers. There is a great deal of teamwork involved in getting the flag moved to the caps and I find it very fun.
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used to love dustbowl.. but the spam nightmares are coming back, especially with all the good spamm... i mean players here, 2 good engies and 2 good fatties and 2 good demo... well lets say capping all three is always quite the challenge, but i'm with shaft, i always attack. if ic ared about rating maybe i'd play sniper on def coughdarkathcough... j/k otherwise its funn to sneak past people. my only beef with it is the lack of nades.. i spsoe it woudl be mroe spam, but even one secondary nade in parts woudl be nice
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love attacking on Dustbowl! It's a blast for a soldier. The spam at the choke points sucks a little, but I still love the map. Played two good games of it today, was attacker both times.

Sig courtesy of K.R.G.
SpeCies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This map isn't anything but the training grounds for future Spammy Davis Jr's. Where does TPF come into effect ? It's a Demospammer's dream map if you ask me
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like to be on the attacking team on that map.
Monk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JCOM, I kind of saw this coming after tonights game of Dustbowl. I remember your team getting frustrated after some time attempting to cap 1. Right after you left, your team capped 1, and went on to win the game. I remember thinking, "If only JCOM had stuck around for another minute".

Anyway, I can understand your point here. I have also felt the frustration of facing a good Defense on Dustbowl. Actually, one time I was in a Dustbowl game where the attacking team could not get out of the gate at cap three. There were a multitude of Demomen working together to make sure that there were always pipes rolling into the hole. It was absolutely impossible to get through the hole without hitting at least on pipe.

If the defense is played right, it can be impossible for the Offense to even get into the game, but usually you don't face such good defense. The first two gates don't cater that well to Demomen, so this isn't even a problem until the third gate. I have only experienced this problem at such a level once. For the most part, the attacking team is able to work through the spam and move the flag up to the point. Once you are out of the hole, it is the same as any other attack and defend map. I think we should stick it out and see what happens. As long as there are people who don't mind playing offense on Dustbowl it should be fine.
Darkath

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizanked wrote:
if ic ared about rating maybe i'd play sniper on def coughdarkathcough...

The day you go sniper is the day i go medic. Probable, but not likely

^^^ Clicky
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 more cents to throw in, making that a total of 4 for this thread onmy part, now..
it woudln't be that bad if it were only one annoying class to make it past, but multiple engy, demo, hwguy, snipers, and pyros blinding you is not an easy task. shows how well def can work together if the are diverse. the onyl real way to get anywhere on the map ( cap 3 speceficly but others apply) is to snipe the sg's first thing and run out and create havoc. even if one person makes it out they can stir a def enough to get a break. if that doesn't work first thing then it is a lot fo spam to get by... also one quick tip as you go by, try to pick up the bags near the gates.. the emp's can cause some major pains when they hit your ammo, plus the bags from leik 5 other corpses if you knwo what i mean. anyways... back to my point. the other major problem, people always jsut run headlong into it, organizing waves of attackers so sg's get distraced is key. and beign a med/scout getting stuck behind a slower class can get annoying. its takes a buttload of team work to do well on dustbowl, thats hwy before i came to the ville alli palyed was 24/7 dustbowl or blueyonders dustbowl server. i'd like to say they helped me for that map but i sucked back then and i'm still pretty close to it now. this post si gettign too long... so its gonna end soon.

one mroe thing though...

DaRkAtH -VS- wrote:
Gizanked wrote:
if ic ared about rating maybe i'd play sniper on def coughdarkathcough...

The day you go sniper is the day i go medic. Probable, but not likely

we shoudl do that oen day for fun... it could be a blast sicne i can't snipe at all

=jFf- Gizanked-V= wrote:
Kickit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry JCOM but I like the map and it sure does draw the people in.

I tend to play attacker and while the spamfest can get frustrating it sure is rewarding to break through and overcome the odds. As unbelievable as it seems I sometimes get stuck on D and don't find it anywhere near as exciting. I really like fast paced action maps like dustbowl and murderball.
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to like Dustbowl, however I got tired of those choke points at the start of 2 and 3, where grenades are raining into the entrance. If it was not of these 2 area, I would like it.

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blown

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best way to play dustbowl is two rotations, one time you defend, the next time you attack. But most servers just have it go once in rotation so you dont get the chance to switch sides.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Whatever

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Dustbowl myself, but it can get very spammy. I try to play attacker, but when teams are uneven, I will go Def. I normally play soldier either way if possible, or maybe sniper on D.

Try it on some other servers, where they have 4 engies...I have done that, and that does get bad!

Play under the names...Darlon Jeel, The Ghost, The Spirit, and <NSA>Whatever
PondScm007

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you NEED teamplay to get the attacking done, otherwise it sucks...ALOT! SPAMBOWL! but if thersa bunch of regs holla'in on the voice comm and helpin eachother out sure it can be fun

BR, yo
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Meat Juice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustbowl does not seem consistant with other Ville maps in so far as Dustbowl is very much a map which generates frustration, spam and a host of other things negative. It's just the nature of the map design. That's my 2 cents.

Meat Juice
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: