FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The Measure of a Man

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:17 am    Post subject: The Measure of a Man Reply with quote

What is the measure of a man? How should a man be remembered when he is gone? Many use success, wealth, and fame as measurements of worth and a productive life. Their success or fame may help them make a visible impact in the world but how many truly do something that matters and makes a difference in someone's life? When using those concepts as measurements we should factor in all the people they stepped on or sabotaged to get to their lofty position. When you factor those in can we really measure a man by his success, wealth, or fame? If we do, that says something about the person we have become.

What if we measure a man by the lives he has touched and the legacy he leaves behind with his family and friends? A man certainly does not have to be successful, rich, or famous to touch lives and make a difference. One person can touch more lives than anyone can possibly realize. If a man gives the last of what he has to someone in need this can be a personal hardship. If a man is the first to volunteer when something needs done where no reward or recognition is involved, what does this say about the man? What if the job he volunteered to do helped another get to a lofty position? Who would we measure as having more worth, the one on top or the one that helped him get to the top?

I'd like to describe the philosophy of Honor my friend lived by:

Honor is a very personal thing. It is the commitment to oneself to act according to a certain code or belief. A purely internal and personal dedication to do the right thing or, at least, what one believes is the right thing. Accepting the consequences of this action for better or worse. This is the Way of Honor. Accordingly, one’s Honor can never be directly affected by the actions of another, only by one’s own actions. If a man has chosen to live by his Honor, no insult, threat or attack can directly effect his Honor. It is how he chooses to respond which is an example of his Honor. If the man chooses to live by his Honor despite the insult or attack then his Honor is unaffected. If he chooses to abandon that Honor in his response then he has affected his Honor, not the attacker.

Tanaka would always hold true to this concept regardless of circumstance. He expected this of others even when he thought they would not hold true to it. This was to his detriment on more than one occasion but he never held it against anyone. Tanaka was the first one to be there for you, it didn't matter if it was for support or to help you work on something. He gave and gave and never once did I know him to ask for anything he himself needed. He touched all our lives and we are all better people for having known him.

It is with a heavy heart that I write this. The above are excerts from the eulagy I gave for my friend. He was killed by a drunk driver on Sunday night. Out of loyalty and the deep sense to honor my friend I am permanently adopting the name he used when we played so many online games.

I'll leave you with a final thought. Should a man be measured by the things he attains in life or should he be measured by the legacy he leaves with family and friends? That is for you to decide.

Bushido R.I.P. February 19, 1972 - September 8, 2002

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh man, this is really sad news and I'm sorry for your loss. I wish you well in this terrible event. Moreover, it is Chan Tanaka, so the entire Ville community will mourn the passing of a great player and a great friend.

Keep your courage my friend.

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry for the misconception Paddy, it's not Chan. Tanaka was Bushido's name in real life.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok.

My wishes are however still true. Take heart.

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its sad when someone else's life is affected by our or another's actions. What we do and how we do it always counts in life. The driver of the car has to live with Tanaka's blood on his hands.

I was shocked when I first heard how he died. I guess I still am. I guess that in the end Tanaka was more honorable (and responsible) since he was not the one driving drunk.

[RS]Potato-VS-
hoaxie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a beautiful eulogy. He must have been a truly special person, indeed, to prompt such wonderful words. My heart goes out to you and all of those who have suffered this loss.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is truly a tragic loss. To know that this could have been avoided is really sad. The foolishness of people that think they are well to drive after drinking just angers me. To lose such a person to someone elses ignorance is overwhelming. My best wishes go out to you and Tanaka's family for the loss.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: