FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
For you older people :)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 10:59 am    Post subject: For you older people :) Reply with quote

Hey, well, on monday I am moving into my first apartment, and I was just wondering if you could give me any tips or any kind of lessons that you learned when you moved out of your parents house

Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you make a list of EVERYTHING that is wrong or broken in the new apartment and bring that to the lanlords attentions immediatly and make him fix it, other wise your risk losing your deposit and maybe even having to pay for the repairs out of your own pocket.
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you don't forget essential things...like toilet paper, dish soap, dish towels, pizza cutter, knives, trash bags, lamps...the general house/kitchen stuff you never have to worry about when you're in the dorms, and take for granted at your parents' house. If you plan on having any ladies over...have extra clean stuff around... towels, pillows and blankets (but we all know you're the consumate ladies man... ) Also make a place to file things like your bills and stuff, losing them sucks . Like Assassin said...don't let your landlord give you crap about things being broken when you move in...you have the right to withhold rent money until they fix things. There is a list of renters rights for your city if you go to the local housing board, or there might be info online for it, given the size of where you go to school.
Dahak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visit your parents often, steal food from their fridge.
Verman
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that most walls are thin and can transmit the sounds of TFC quite well (especially with a subwoofer). I found this out at ~2AM one morning when my neighbor called me thinking a war was brealking out in my unit.
three_gunn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...learn to eat Top Ramen/Cup O Noodles on a daily basis...and watch for any kind of McDonalds deals...(99cent Big Macs)

...oh yeah...and pay rent.
hoaxie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let you meat loaf.

Maybe this isn't the right thread for that advice... then again... it is good advice.

Sometimes when you move into a new place, especially an apartment, you may find a roach or two scampering about, depending on where you live. I know that in TX and CA this was a problem. I have to tell you, nothing wigs me out worse than a roach. The best way to combat those lil boogers is to do what I do... even if never see one when I move into a place I do this... buy some Combat Roach thingees... hell get two boxes and put those things EVERYWHERE! And whatever you do, do not settle for some store brand imitation. Okay, yeah, I am a little OC when it comes to roaches or the potential threat of them... but they are just nasty!

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the above plus.
Try to have a few months of rent/utilities etc saved up don't blow it all on fun. That way if hard times hit you will have some time to recover. Buy the best furniture etc that you can afford. They will last longer and stay in better shape because:
1. You spent good money on them so you will take better care of them.
2. Quality product almost always last longer.

Keep the place clean you never know when a lady or your folks might drop by.

Speaking of that. Once you are setted in ask Mom and Dad over for Dinner. Cook something nice for them. Have the dinner table setup like Mom would have at home. When they come over your parents will know they did a great job raising you because your place looks so good.

Get to know your neighbors. Say hi, give them your phone number, get thiers, ask them over once in a while, if you drop in on them to say hi bring something nice with you.

Have fun!

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
OpTlk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t, go Bada! good tips

Snag, said it, but i'll say it again...find out what essential things you need! bathroom stuff, kitchen stuff, living/family room stuff...you'll find a lot of simple everyday thigns are easily forgotten because they're taken for granted. hEh I found out the hard way.

If you haven't already accepted those cool hand-me-downs you were hoping you would get to suddenly fill all these extras rooms you're gonna have besides just a bedroom...go buy stuff of your own!

Oh and yes, cant' forget when you're broke and lookign for dinner, your mom will almost always be happy when you surprise them and are then asked to stay for dinner.

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, looks like everything was covered pretty well. As Bada said, budget your money and put some away just in case. It really sucks having to go to Mom & Dad for a few bucks because you weren't thinking ahead.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
SVT Cobra

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot's of good advice so far so I'll only add a few things...

1. Pay your rent on time or even early if you can. This is probably one the best things you can do. Landlords love tenants that pay on time! When I was in an apartment and had to break my lease (which usually voids any chance to get my deposit back) they sent me my deposit anyway because I was a good tenant.

2. Be friendly with your neighbors. Say hi when you see them, etc... Be a good neighbor it might pay off in the future.

3. Just to reiterate....Keep the place clean! All your boys might like the bachleor pad, but the ladies won't come over if you live in a dump.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other tip, do the #*$&%ing dishes! If you let those things pile up, the sink is gonna look worse than a kilaak's sleeping chamber, and you won't want to do them... it's sort of a downward spiral.

If you have roommates, it's always a good idea to clearly seperate your food... i.e. you take one cabinet, roomie gets a different one...

like others have said, be cool with your neigbors. If you're friendly with them, they don't seem to mind that wild orgy you throw every once in a while, but if they don't like you, they'll be quick to get you in trouble for the cow someone stole and brought to your pad in a drunken stooper! Oh, and no, I don't know about this from personal experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks a lot all. I am gonna add this thread to my favorites (would print it out, but am inkless at the moment) I am gonna double check it when I pack and again when I move in

thanks again, you guys rock.

hoaxie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah... another things.. no bugs this time...

Keep a pad of paper somewhere in your kitchen. A pen too, DOH! As you use the last of something or notice that you are getting close, write it on the pad. Before you head to the grocery store, go over your list and add anything else that you intend to buy. Eat BEFORE you go to the store. Never grocery shop on an empty stomache. Remember to take your list to the store with you... do not stray from your list. This is crucial if you are on a budget. And, keeping the list updated throughout the week will keep you from realizing, at the worst moment, that *Gosh, I meant to buy more toilet paper!*

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, again, if you have roommates: get one of those dry erase boards for your 'fridge. Put phone messages for each other and things of that nature on it. Make sure it's on your beer fridge, that way you'll all see it, often.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: