FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Boomspeed Users

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ameanman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 2:33 pm    Post subject: Boomspeed Users Reply with quote

These important notices were taken from the www.boomspeed.com site:

The enforcement started today, August 16th.

To be as brief as possible, BoomSpeed has been very lenient and inclined to not be harsh or even strict when
it comes to the TOS (Terms Of Service). Over time, the amount of abuse in violation of our rules has just come
to be no longer acceptable. Accounts in violation have started to degrade the speed and very usability of
BoomSpeed, so we are in very simple terms, shutting down all abusing accounts. The result being, that all of
us who are going by the rules (with particular attention to our paid account members) will basically reclaim our
speed and ease of use.

We have been working on this project for some time now, as we could see the need coming.

Thanks to those of you who have had patience while BoomSpeed continues to grow at a frenzied rate.

Rest assured that we are very on top of user needs, aware of current speed issues, and we are most
certainly implementing steps to keep the service as fast and easy to use as people have come to enjoy.

We know you like BoomSpeed and like it that much more when it is as close to perfect as possible.

We LOVE BoomSpeed, and we are working very hard to keep it fun, fast, easy and even excellent!

If your account was disabled because of these reasons, you may upgrade at

https://secure.boomspeed.com/secure/boomspeed/saver.html

Greg Deeter
Greg@BoomSpeed.Com

"And some day man will develop, cherish and revere a remarkable shared method of global communication,
and it shall function with complete accuracy, precision and without flaw." -unknown

By william On Aug-16-2002 11:34

As an additional note on the tech side, we have had the unfortunate responsibility of disabling and deleting accounts. As the TOS strictly specifies what is and is not acceptable, reqests from users after your account is deleted stating that you didn't know about the terms and want your images back, can not, unfortunately, be honoured. We hate to have to do this, but as the service is free, we have to start being strict on following the TOS to ensure the longevity of the company to support our paying subscribers as well as the free subscribers. Our priority has always been our paying subscribers as they support the service for the free subscribers as well. Without enforcing the TOS, we risk continous degradation of service for both paying & free accounts and can no longer ignore this.
We are sending emails to every TOS violation account with details on what is being done. We have only deleted those TOS accounts that have measurably impacted our service. The rest are given options in their email on how to return to compliance and keep their accounts. Please follow the instructions in the email, or you will risk your account being deleted.

For those paying subscribers who have stood by BoomSpeed, we thank you and have to apologize to you for letting this go on for so long. Trust me, you are not the only ones frustrated by this and we feel your pain more than you know!

The criteria we are using for free accounts are:
Any NON-HTML file referenced from a BoomSpeed account must have been referenced from an ebay site, a yahoo auction site or from an html file hosted on a BoomSpeed account.

What this means is:
1. If you create an html site on Geocities and use a BoomSpeed free account for your images, your account is in Violation.
2. If you create a chatboard and reference AV's, images, banners, bars, ANYTHING except a webpage/html file from it, your account is in Violation.
3. If you host an image on your free account and use that image ANYWHERE other than eBay, Yahoo auctions or inside an html file that is also on a BoomSpeed account, your account is in violation.

Now, when we say 'eBay' we mean ANYTHING eBay. IE eBay chat boards, eBay 'Me page', eBay Forums, anything referenced from a server owned & operated by eBay is allowed.
For Yahoo though, ONLY Yahoo auction sites are allowed, NOT Yahoo Chat, Yahoo Message Board, Yahoo anything else, ONLY Yahoo auction.

If you receive an email stating your account HAS been deleted for violating the TOS, then the files have already been deleted and cannot be recovered. We have double and triple checked log entries proving the violation and are exempting those that have a minor number of violations, such as listed in a news article or someone else linked to your image a little and stopped, so if you meet that criteria, don't worry about your account being removed.

William Devine, II
BoomSpeed.Com
--
BoomSpeed.Com Support (support@boomspeed.com)

So yea...pretty much what they have done is disabled a ton of accounts because. They also state that boomspeed is not supposed to be used anywhere outside of eBay, Yahoo auction sites, and Boomspeed related sites. That means no more hosting your Sig off of boomspeed for ANY forums.
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are all these ISPs that don't provide a small amount of web space with each account? I've never had one that wasn't at least 10 megabytes, enough to have an image for a sig on...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ameanman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know who can host my sig?
Linktodeath

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same thing from boomspeed about 2 weeks ago, but nevrer got around to posting it since i've been really busy. You can put your sig on www.pimpswithgrenades.com or i could put it on my AOL webpage. Just email it to me. (button below)

Ameanman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx Link.

Its back up now!
`RaphX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your account has been disabled

Ach, whit a scunner!

Seriously, it's probably for the best, as just about everyone using the service was doing so incorrectly, hence its very noticeable 1336ness. Oh well...

But my avatar works for now żżż ???
Vulcan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaphX wrote:

The avatar is saved in theville site I belive. If you right click and go go properties, it shows it as being on this site.
`RaphX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borg wrote:
RaphX wrote:

The avatar is saved in theville site I belive. If you right click and go go properties, it shows it as being on this site.

That's exactly why it works.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: