FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Did any of you do this while in high school?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vulcan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Did any of you do this while in high school? Reply with quote

I am going to be taking three classes at my local high school, but then taking two classes at a local college. I don't really know what to expect for a workload. Any insight you could give me before I start would be greatly appreciated.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well borg, I cant say I have done that, but it most certainly is an option for me(my school is ON the UT campus) so if i ever do, we can talk and share stories. Anyhow, sorry I cant help(yet). Maby someone who has actually been to colledge can help u.

-KK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well most beginning level college classes aren't too hard, but they will expect quite a bit more out of you than highschool classes, in quality of work and quantity. Stuff like read this whole textbook and give me a report in 2 weeks of at least 10 pages. No typos, punctuation errors, or grammer errors at all or you fail it. Must have correct cover sheet and sources cited pages in the back. Put it in a folder and its due first thing in 2 weeks. No latework and no redos, its here or its a zero.

Thats the kind of stuff you can expect. I'm at the Art Institute so we dont get bookwork assigned, but I know the same policy applies to our other work like Video editing and 3D Models and for our general education classes some of them were like that, i.e. World Civ, Psycology, Public Speaking, General Math, Social Problems. So get ready to prioritize your work, Do the ones that mean more even if it means sacrificing ones that mean less, grade and futurewise.
Vulcan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I should also say what classes I am going to be taking. They will be Calc IV and College Writing, which is Writing 121(don't know if it is a standard name everywhere or not). I took Calc III during the summer and had an easy time, did homework at the very last moment to get it in on time, aced at least the first two tests with near perfect scores, and ended up with an A. So I would guess that Calc IV would be about the same. That is at least for Fall term. I don't know what I want to take for Winter term yet.
hoaxie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 pages? Sheesh, all my reports had to be 30 pages. I went to the University of St. Thomas in Houston. But, High School? Hmmm, I didn't go to high school, so I don't know. A lot of students do it here, though. Many of them actually earn their Associates before they graduate from high school. That is because college lets out before high school... but still, I think that is so awesome. Good luck to you!

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many moons ago, when I was still in high school, I did the same thing you did with the same calc class. I had to take a bus from my school to the college after like 3rd period or so. The work was much more intense than it was in high school but I was ready for it. High school was very boring so I opted to take advanced classes at the college. I only took science and math classes though so I'm not sure about the writing class but the name says it all. It's a lot of work but well worth it in the end. Good luck to you Borg.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
bobins

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well good luck to you borg...

at the moment i've got enough on with the last year of my A-Levels... which is the last thing b4 i go off to uni.

and damn... these courses are hard work... and the exams... omg the AS-Level maths exam was sollid.... it was so hard that when time was up n the papers had been collected in... and we could talk... we all just burst into laughter...

so when i take the A-Level exam at the end of this academic year thats about to start... damn

and the press and that sayin that the exams are too easy... all i say to that is... have you taken one recently... their extreamly hard exams and the work we have to put in alll year and into our course work is emense... theirs just so much to get dun.

and if you have forgotten what A-Levels are.. their the stage b4 uni,.... their exactly the same as going to colledge... except you stay in your high school... to do the course... you get privaledges that you dont normally get and stuff for staying at the school to do the course... and you know everyone... so its generally easier.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think it totally depends on the school, and on the professor. take OSU for example. I NEVER had to do anything crazy like what Powers is talkin about. I am gonna be a Junior in college, and I have YET to write a research paper, or a long report. Well, I did write one, but it was more of a story than a paper.

I would say, expect it to be different. It will be. Most likely, the prof will not hate you, they will not give you impossible assignments or deadlines, and, as much as you may disbelieve me, they actually do WANT to help you.

good luck borg.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Trigger Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart move man. If you can handle the work load more power to you. You should take care of your GEC classes so you don't have to take them in college. But you see, every college is different. Every college has different requirements/prerequisites and so on. You should take classes that are relevant to your major, well that's if you've chosen one already. You should definitely do some research and determine what college is best for your major. Once you find that out, I would make an appointment to see an academic counselor at the college of your choice. It is a great advantage to knock off those stoopid GEC classes because it is a waste of time and money. Here is more good advice, take your GEC classes that are tailored to your major at a JC (community college) to save you some cash. It is a lot more easier and cheaper versus a four year university. Once you finish that make sure those classes arer transferrable. I attend a private university and spend over 30,000 a year. If I had taken my GEC classes at a community college, it would've save me an arm and a leg. It's what, hmm..... over 600 dollars per unit at the college I attend. But if you were to take that same class at a community college, you will probably spend 13 dollars a unit depending on where you go. Good luck pal. It is very fortunate of you to think ahead at a young age, I hope things work out

- Sig Made By <TVB>Bada^Bing-TPF-
gindapoo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borg wrote:
I guess I should also say what classes I am going to be taking. They will be Calc IV and College Writing, which is Writing 121(don't know if it is a standard name everywhere or not). I took Calc III during the summer and had an easy time, did homework at the very last moment to get it in on time, aced at least the first two tests with near perfect scores, and ended up with an A. So I would guess that Calc IV would be about the same. That is at least for Fall term. I don't know what I want to take for Winter term yet.

Well, speaking as a college instructor who teaches calculus you probably will be spending a little more time on homework in Calc IV than in Calc III. (I am not sure where the college you are attending "breaks" the Calculus sequence--i.e. what topics are you are going to discuss--but in general the farther into Calculus you are the longer the homework problems take to complete .)

I have had several students who are concurrently enrolled in high school courses and college courses and they usually go just fine. Just remember that time management is going to be very important--and don't procrastinate (in other words do your homework before coming to frag us!)

where the name came from<---clicky
Trigger Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa...I never knew u were an edumacated calculus teacher. Good stuff.

- Sig Made By <TVB>Bada^Bing-TPF-
-=ITS=-GaladerieL[Vegas]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i didn't do much of this calc stuff but i was in a special educational class level for disabilities.. mostly basic easy stuff for high school level for me.. but i have never gone to college after that .. not sure if i can afford it now with the way prices look and i would need help in some levels for classes or i''d be distracted with not getting the work done on time :~()

anyways best of luck to u borg on your classes

ps. in my high school we did things such as woodshop, sewwing, home cooking classes, gym and etc to get the picture out and they also had a swimming ppol 12 feet deep there for gym class .. and you know i have seen any of my friends from there since i moved up to washington state in 1988 god i miss my old class m8s!!
Krayonz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OSU is right, it depends on the school. I have been going to community college for like $13 a unit, and this is my 5th semester. I've had no big research projects or papers, only small assignments and stuff. Tests are probably becoming more popular because the teachers don't have the time to read 100's of students papers. During my 4 semesters I have probably spent like 30 hours total of doing work , but I will be able to transfer to a state school at the end of the semester

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: