FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Adventures In Publand

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Adventures In Publand Reply with quote

I was wondering the wild frontier of random public TFC servers today. I am always on the look out for a good place to hang out while TheVille is down or while waiting for TV2 or TV3 to come up. It goes without saying that PWG and BR servers are a great place to go in this situation. However, it's still fun to go out and see what's around from time to time.

I'll start with the worst server I found.

Got Hunted??? 128.104.203.73:27015

No HL guard or cheat detection of any kind. The rules in place for Hunted are childish and silly at best. You can be kicked for AR'ing the pres. If you are caught on any roof at anytime, you will be kicked for camping. The reglulars are not inviting at all, in fact they are quite rude. They have the "how dare you play on my PUBLIC server" attitude. The roof camping issue is not stated anywhere in their MOTD so I immediately nade/rj up to the top of the roof. I slaughtered around 5 snipers and was met with a flurry of *$#@&, lamer, Llama, skilless, etc etc. When I asked what was wrong with being on the roof, I was met with the same attitude from the "admin" so I just left. All in all, a very poor excuse for a server and not a fun place to play at all. This server gets out of 5

{666} Klan Public 64.230.80.165:1025

No HL guard or cheat detection of any kind. At first I was impressed at the skill level on this server. It was running 2fort and everyone was just playing along having a great time. Then I walked out of respawn, took one step and got sniped. I layed there wondering. . where could he be? I respawn and walk behind the wall on the snipe deck and get sniped again. Now I lay there and look around and I can't even see the other snipe deck, let alone a sniper. I chalk it up to lag. Now I am in the enemy base standing on their flag spawn when. . I get sniped. That was it, someone was totally wallhacking. I told the player that I knew he was hacking and he immediately left. I then witnessed a solly kill three people back to back by not even moving his rocket launcher. He just ran straight as his rockets flew sideways lol The people that were not hacking were really great to play with but open hacking is just to prevelant to enjoy playing. I give this server out of 5

sKl Clan Server 208.254.35.29:27015

This server uses HL guard. I was very impressed with the gameplay on this server. Everyone had great attitudes and the team play was excellent. The skill level isn't spectacular but there were a few peeps that raised some hairs on my head! A couple of the meds reminded me of some of the greats I have seen here. I never saw any of the clan members but their regulars are fine folks. I give this server out of 5

I visited several servers today but these really stood out for one reason or another. Feel free to check these servers out and develop your own opinion. If you know of any good pub servers to play on while TheVille is down, post them here for all of us.

Pubbing always reminds me of one simple fact though. . .TheVille servers are truly the best servers on the planet!
=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Sully
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would toss out a recommendation for Mad Scientist Lab. I can't remember the address. I was there a little while ago and found the players to be a very cool group of people. The skill level wasn't very high (I went 11:1 k/d ratio over 2 hours) but no one ever accused me of anything other than bein' pretty good.

Sig courtesy of K.R.G.
EagleEyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't really judge a server by one random game. Even the ville has it's ups and downs. But all in all, I like the idea.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EE, I totally realize that. It's a valid point. That's why I said you can go to these servers and develop your own opinions. I stayed on two of these servers for at least 2 maps until I left. The Hunted one however completely sucked do to their rules and admin attitudes. That I will say! Now EE you betta post an IP to a pub server! Come on, I know you go somewhere. . . . throw us a bone here!
Ville Admin - Retired
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Off topic:
What's with the new name KRG?

On topic:
It's ghey to AR the prez. Your a sniper use your sniper rifle for pete's sake. I play at Got Hunted and Mutilated Khali all the time. Great games once they are used to seeing you. Your right they aren't inviting at first but it's great game play if you hang in there. I also like Dah rlb Green Fire Hunted. Got green snipers and red pyros.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my opinion that you should be gracious to anyone that joins your PUBLIC server. If you don't want people playing on it, buy a private one. The AR thing I could care less about, I never play assassin. I wouldn't think it ghey if someone AR'd the pres but that's just me. A good team of bodyguards will never allow a sniper to get that close anyway. But no hopping on the roof? What's that all aboot? That's like saying it's ghey to get on the roof in epicenter to take out SG's. It's funny how a sniper can sit waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back and pick people off but when a solly or scout does it, it's ghey? Concing the pres onto the roof is an awesome way to get him home free!

Even that aside, at least put it in your MOTD! Otherwise people have no idea it is not allowed. That's why the server really earned bad points with me. I take the time to read server rules. If your rules aren't written there, you can't complain when people break them. You know?

If you like those rules and are willing to play there for a few months, I am sure they will be nice to you. But if you are just looking for a quick game, I really would not recommend that server.
Ville Admin - Retired
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently started using the advanced filter options type in what map you want then click are running map only then go back to servers and click refresh

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed that you can now select in your filters to only view servers with cheat detection software! WOW what you learn from one day of pubbing lol
Ville Admin - Retired
Ameanman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmfp. About the Got Hunted server.

That was actually my most frequented map before theVille. I had both good games and bad. I just loved killing the snipers with the solly and catching them by surprise. However I understood why ARing the prez would call for a ban. IT IS ABSOLUTELY CHEAP. With only 50 hp an AR could take down the prez in a matter of seconds. I found it absolutely frustrating to have the whole sniper team charge down the ramp in the very beggining, blasting away and killing the prez almost before everyone even got out!

There were great games though. In one game the person who was the prez was absolutely nutz (if you can be 1337 as prez, he was it) Using teamwork (i was his ever attending medic) we successfully escaped 8 out of 10 times (which is quite a feat). We would get him to the storage level and while he crouched in the corner with me and another solly protecting him, got another med to open the doors. When they opened he told me where to throw a conc and succesfully CONC jumped to the exit! We did this repeatedly with him COnc jumping to the exit from other places as well. Totally insane and best game of hunted I ever had.
Demented Avenger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Vendettas Blood Fued. Not a bad server with really good players. My only bitch is with the BH'ing on this server.
OpTlk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The server only gets full during the day about 50% of the time and gets pretty full at night, but i've found myself lately playing on the -nC- Guild Servers when i cant get into TV3 and/or TV1 & 2 are empty. They have a dedicated conc server with mapvotting enabled to choose from about 50 conc maps and then their public server is a modified Neo-TF server. Not all of the neo features are available, but its enough to have the feel and the regs there are pretty good both attitude and play. there is almost always at least one clan member(or non Clanner) or admin around most game. They also run HL guard and disable Nemesis.

In my opinion, its usually a fun serv to play on and usually have a pretty good game in there.

-nC- Guild Conc Server 207.126.64.35:27016
-nC- Guild Retro-Neo TFC 207.126.64.35:27015

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: