FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
For you SEASONED drivers out there

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: For you SEASONED drivers out there Reply with quote

That should be read, all you people who have had their license for at least 10-15 years...

What advice can you give me on Hydroplaning? I had a rather harrowing and white knuckled drive home tonight, mostly due to near constant hydroplaning on US Route 40...not fun.

So, I am just wondering if anyone can help me out.

thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Goldom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know this doesn't exactly help, but if you ask me, floating on top of water in a car sounds FUN. (that is, assuming of course, that there's no one else in the way to run into )
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here are my tips i am from the state of Oregon where it rains too mutch:

When hydro ing and know it:

1. Dont stear the car
2. DONT HIT THE BREAKS

Just let of of the throtle. you will know when the car hooks up. Then goose it and you are good.

And if you see Motorcycle Cops slam here down in 3rd then 4th adn then 5th and pass em at 140 and life is good

<TVB>DK
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLOW DOWN!
Give the tires time to cut thru the water.
pump your breaks when stopping. Lightly. not enough to jerk car
stay away from other drivers, leve lots of room for error and action.

Try not to brake and turn at the same time. slow for curves and let car roll thru the turn. Do not heavy accelerate when turning.

Did I mention SLOW DOWN! Most important.

skinner tires do better in rain than fat ones. if you got 12 inch wide tires your going to "lift off" earlier than a 4 inch wide tire.

Again SLOW DOWN.

if your in a slide ...get off the brakes. turn into the turn and let the wheels bring you back toward the correct direction. but dont hold it to long or you will spin the other way.

Remember a locked set of brakes wont slow you down if your wheels are turned and your on the brake and still going straight let off the brake, you will be surprised but the wheels will suddenly steer again.

If your skidding into something out of control, it to late to SLOW DOWN. there is no respawn...

If your young and have access to big wide wet parking lots that are empty, sunday night is good. you can practice.
Or if you live in the cold country you can do the same easier when the parking lot is icy.
If you live here in dry country firm dirt roads with a loose surface are good for practice. Remember rental cars are perfect for this

[edit for Goldom ]
Not all cars have abs if your does I,m sure you have an emblem or something that says you do.

Last edited by ROOFCUTTER on Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Goldom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

um roof... what good is pumping the brakes gonna do with a car that has abs? which.. all new ones do...
gindapoo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in college I drove into a sudden downpour and 65 mph. I hydroplaned and ended up doing a 720 (yes twice around #Shocked ). When I came to a stop I was sitting in the median of I40 going WTF! and trying to get my heart to beat. I have not lost control of my vehicle to hydroplaning since--some 13 years.

ROOF is absolutely right. SLOW DOWN. That, by far, is the best defense against hydroplaning. Also, make sure you have good tire tread. Don't skimp on tires--if they are worn nearly bald, they need replaced.

Also, what type of specifics are there about your vehicle. I have found that front wheel drive vehicles hydroplane less easily and are easier to control in such situations. Also, the more power the vehicle has, in general, the easier it is to hydroplane (especially rear wheel drive sports cars ) ---obviously this is IMHO---

Best thing, I echo ROOF--SLOW DOWN and just be careful.

where the name came from<---clicky
Ameanman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gindapoo wrote:

Also, what type of specifics are there about your vehicle. I have found that front wheel drive vehicles hydroplane less easily and are easier to control in such situations. Also, the more power the vehicle has, in general, the easier it is to hydroplane (especially rear wheel drive sports cars ) ---obviously this is IMHO---

Best thing, I echo ROOF--SLOW DOWN and just be careful.

How about All-Wheel-Drive vehicles (front and back wheel)? Do they hydroplane easily? Im wondering because my car is AWD.
gindapoo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time I drove AWD in the rain was on a dirt (well OK mud) road, so I really don't know. I know that my 4WD (part-time) does a little better in 4WD than 2WD on wet pavement. It would seem to reason that AWD would be better--but I really don't know. Anyone?

where the name came from<---clicky
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, goldom, my car is nigh on 13 years old, so, guess what, no ABS.

Roof-Thanks, I did slow down, but the rain tonight was so off and on, it was crazy, it went from no rain to full on down pour in less the 5 seconds. I have found that, for myself anyway, it is so freakin hard to force myself to RELEASE THE BRAKE when I start slipping. Its so scary...

Gindapoo-I have a FWD chevy cavalier. Very NON high performance. Its got a whopping 2.2L 4 cylinder...ph33r me! My tires are rather good, about 8-10 months old or so, so my tread is fine, and my tires are well inflated.

Thanks for the help guys, and I hope this thread helps any of you other n00b drivers *cough* bobins *cough* like me (I've had my license for 4 years now)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all cars come with ABS. Most car companies still have it as an option on there base model cars. And for the AWD, when hydroplaining your tires are not making contact with the driving surface. Doesn't matter how many tires will spin when you hit the gas cause they're not touching the driving surface.

And SLOW DOWN. Roof definitely hit something with that one (so to speak). You'll get there a lot quicker if you have control of your vehicle the whole time. If your in that much of hurry to get there, you should have left sooner!!

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Whatever

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick reply...everyone has already covered the slowing down part well.

I just want to mention that in the southern US, it can be hard to find cars with ABS. This is due to the weather, as more cars up north come with ABS. Ask any salesman down here, and they will tell you that. I tried to find a Nissan Altima with ABS, and I couldn't.

Oh, I did buy one of this year's Altimas though. The 2.5S model, couldn't afford that 3.5 V6 one. It still has great power, with 175 horses. Not bad for a 4 cylinder.

Play under the names...Darlon Jeel, The Ghost, The Spirit, and <NSA>Whatever
(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well with the issue of AWD or 4WD or whatever like was said before if your tires arent touching to road this does you absolutely no good. Same thing goes for driving on snow or ice. there will always be the yuppies with their 4WD suvs that drive 15 or 20 miles an hour faster that everyone else because sure the 4WD helps you get better traction but they never relize that it WONT MAKE YOU STOP ANY FASTER. whether its water or ice just keep in mind that friction is needed to slow down or stop and unless your touching concrete or blacktop, your driving on less friction.
ProudWhiteTrash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROOFCUTTER is right. Slow down til you feel comfortable enough to drive. If that means you have to drive 10 miles a hour with your 4 ways on then so be it. If someone comes up behind you pull over and let them pass. Dont ever let anyone tell you, your driving to slow. You and only you are responsible for what your car does. I have been driving truck for a little over 10 years now and I have seen way to many dead people laying on the side of the road or crushed in there car. The way I look at it is this, if your going 30 mph and you skid off the road you may get hurt your car will get damaged things will be ok. The same accident at 65 mph and your dead. SO listen to what roof says he's totally right. Slow Down until you feel your going slow enough to continue driving and always wear your seatbelt.
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man...I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt. I have noticed if I like drive to the mailbox (about a block away) with no seatbelt, it feels so WEIRD. I am so used to wearing my seatbelt that I don't even notice putting it on or even wearing it anymore

go Seatbelts!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: