FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Overclocking

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:30 pm    Post subject: Overclocking Reply with quote

Well it was only time before I overclocked my sys.

I bumped the P4 from 2.0 ghz to 2.1 ghz with no noticeable heat gain nor fan rpm increase. ALso there has been no change in sys stability.

I wonder what I could do lol

Anyone else have experience with overclocking?

(CPU, GPU, Power Supply, and 3 case fans for cooling and all heat critical components are heat sinked)

<TVB>DK
anthrex

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if my clan gets server we will be overclocking our p4 1.6 to 2.4 with only a little bit larger fan to put onto the case
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have and won't do it again. I had nothing but problems with mine when I did it. I probably didn't know what the hell I was doing so .......

God Bless You Blue Ruler
AFI

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, here's a dumb question, what exactly is overclocking?
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overclocking is simply with your mb allowing the cpu to run faster than recommeneded. This will also effect the pci and agp bss speeds.

I am stil messing with mine. This is not a OEM machine, but a custom build. I do not recommed the fact builds tweak with there sys.

I have now pumped my 2 ghz p4 Northwood to a new level. It is now at 2.4 ghz. I will let this burn in for 72 hours before I bump again.

This also effected my agp card (lol i can override that from another driver).. My Geforce 4600 ti 128mb card I have also hit with a tweek. It is now at 550x1200).

I had a voltage spike after boot up but I allowed the correction. No it is as cool as all hell.

From what I can tell, due to voltage and heat limits, my P4 should hit about 2.7 gh running stable.

DK
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK wrote:
Overclocking is simply with your mb allowing the cpu to run faster than recommeneded. This will also effect the pci and agp bss speeds.

I am stil messing with mine. This is not a OEM machine, but a custom build. I do not recommed the fact builds tweak with there sys.

I have now pumped my 2 ghz p4 Northwood to a new level. It is now at 2.4 ghz. I will let this burn in for 72 hours before I bump again.

This also effected my agp card (lol i can override that from another driver).. My Geforce 4600 ti 128mb card I have also hit with a tweek. It is now at 550x1200).

I had a voltage spike after boot up but I allowed the correction. No it is as cool as all hell.

From what I can tell, due to voltage and heat limits, my P4 should hit about 2.7 gh running stable.

DK

Better put your order in now for a replacement, tee hee hee. BTW, didn't you burn up your last machine that way?? Just curious

God Bless You Blue Ruler

Last edited by Bright Red Nipples on Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhh yes my last sys actually caught on fire. Sh dont tell anyone (beter heat and fire monitors now). And it aint a AMD

Shake that Ass

DK
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I overclock my celeron?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I burned out a Voodoo5 5500 when I overclocked it. Just be careful.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I overclock my voodoo 3000?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky_Lil_Mikey wrote:
Can I overclock my voodoo 3000?

Unless you know exactly what your doing and have a deep pocketbook Mikey, I would leave your machine as is. It is really painful to see the smoke coming from your tower knowing right away that you had made a mistake. I'm sure that DK has been doing this for some time and has it down to a "T". It may run great for a while, and then ............... JMHO

God Bless You Blue Ruler
OnE_BuC_FaN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:17 am    Post subject: Overclocking vodoo cards Reply with quote

I did it with software on my vodoo3 and 2 mounths later I was buying a new card. It worked great up till then. I would say don't do it.
Chuck
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, overclocking without some truly drastic cooling measures usually means you're buying a replacement soon. I've looked into it alot, but never done it. Why the heck would you want to overclock a 2 GHz machine anyway? It's not like it's too slow to run TFC, and if it runs TFC well, what else do ya need?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: