FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HELP MEEEE!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enrico

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 8:25 pm    Post subject: HELP MEEEE! Reply with quote

Hey, I got some webspace from geocites to host my map off of. One problem, I'm a HTML moron (i know absoloutely nothing about it) and the easy file manager they have won't let you upload a .bsp file...

How do I zip a file with Win XP?

In the meantime, this is what I have done with thier worthless template stupid sites

http://www.geocities.com/juxt9000/page.html

I'm awfully up front about it dont you think?
Goldom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... with winzip? ^_^;
bobins

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or win ace -- any of those type of packeges

u can get winzip HERE
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
cstone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First zip up that bsp!! And if you want to make other people's lives easier, create a file structure within the zip, so that it can simply be unzipped to the HL folder, and all the files go to the right places.

I know that sounds complicated, but its easy . Just put your bsp and txt file in a folder called maps. Then put that folder into a folder called tfc. You can see that we are sorta rebuilding your TFC directory, only based on just the files that your map will add.

Now (assuming you have winzip), right click that folder called tfc and select WinZip->Add to Zip file.... This brings up the winzip prompt, asking how you want to save the zip. You should be able to just press add, which will give you a zip file named tfc. This file will be located in the same directory as the original tfc folder.

Now that you have a decent zip file, you will want to upload it to your website. If the upload is successful, you will find your file at http://www.geocities.com/juxt9000/mapname/zip. Visit this site if you want to learn more about coding HTML: http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp. You will get much more done with a basic knowledge of HTML than you will that site editor crap the free sits give you

Hope that made some sense, if not, sorry for making things too complicated lol!!

On a completely unrelated sidenote, everyone needs to tune in to ESPN2 to watch USA vs S Korea in the World Cup at 2:25 AM. WATCH IT!!!!
Enrico

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, i figured it out. And CStone, thanks for helping... but im not a idiot...

I thought that winzip came with windows, and when I DLed WinZIP I got it.

And BTW, im planning to learn HTML sometime, but for right now the crap editor works, look for a thread near you soon to a link to DL my map.
cstone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL sorry for writing that out like that, but that bit about uploading the unzipped bsp kinda threw me for a loop. Figured I'd spell it out w/ no room for error

If you can figure out WC (you did update to Hammer, didn't you?), then HTML should be a walk in the park.

Btw, you got that thing uploaded yet?
PondScum007

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spkg of WC...where can one find some good tuts for it? im totally lost in it...i used to be a qoole guru but never learned wc for some reason...id lvoe to get back into mappin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WC isnt hard at all to learn. Try the HELP section, they have a getting started tut that is very helpful. Once you have that you can pretty much make anything you wanted. If not, you can try these two links they are both very helpful.

Valve ERC- http://www.valve-erc.com/

TF Mapped- http://tf.valveerc.com/

Try getting into it, it can be very rewarding.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: