FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
D Day

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: D Day Reply with quote

Let's all remember the brave men who gave up thier lives for the free world on this day in 1944. It's a far better world we live in because of the things they did on that fateful day.

THANK YOU

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
[FoX]KickinASCII

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.

Today is the 58th Anniversary of the Allied D-Day invasion of Normandy Beach in German-occupied France on June 6th, 1944. All of the soldiers who died valiantly...you will be remembered. I hope I can visit the D-Day museum in New Orleans someday.

If it weren't for them, we'd be speaking German right now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Enrico

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget about the paratroopers also, who took out the costal batteries and being the first line of attack.

A good book about DDay is "The Longest Day"
You won't forget it anytime soon.
MuLiShA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my grandpa flew the planes that dropped the paratrooper on d-day
[FoX]KickinASCII

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather landed on Omaha Beach with the first wave, got shot 8 times all over his body, but luckily made it to the beachhead and is still alive today
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet all of our fathers and GrandFathers could tell us some great stories about that day. Try to take some time today to thank them and ask if they would share a story or 2.
My dad was in the Pacific durring WWII, but the best story he told me was on the Pearl Harbor Attack.
He and his buddy had been out drinking the night before. His buddy woke him up that Sunday morning and said "SAM something is happening at Pearl" My Dad stuck his head out the window and said "Go back to sleep it's Just Manouvers!!!"

So they slept through the Bombing of Pearl Harbor.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
[FoX]KickinASCII

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, that's what happened in the movie until the Japenese machine gunned the windows of the bunkers, then they got on their asses and moved!!
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad wasn't on a base. He was a civil engineer for the Army working as a surveyer on airfields. The Army dumped him from Flight scholl cause he was color blind. He spent the war on various Islands in the S. Pacific setting up airfields.

hoaxie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here is my moment of silence out of respect... It'll actually be about 2 minutes....

You cannot make another post so soon after your last, please try again in a short while

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
Rata-tat-tat
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaken of which. I just watched a history deal about it just this mornen about 1 am mainly talked about the tanks that had water proof lining that should have landed to provide alot of cover fire. But the tanks were aiming for a land mark on land (a church). The thing that went wrong was when they turned and took the waves broad sided in order to stay on course. The waves busted their linings and they sunk to the bottom. They had been dropped miles off shore, and almost made it.
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 miles off shore to be exact. These tanks made it on other beaches and were a great help to the landing infantry. Too bad they couldn't help on that beach. We suffered 90% + casualty rate on the first wave. It must have been the scariest thing those men ever saw. Thank GOD for those Brave Men.

Ameanman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, casulties could have been much worse, we were lucky that we tricked the Axis into moving part of the army to the other coastline where we faked planned landing (with the help of an inflatable tanks/vehicles)

Tune into the History Channel, you could call it the World War II channel, seriously.

Keep alive the memories of those brave men who were lost
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: