FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Nothin like the smell of burning silicon

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Nothin like the smell of burning silicon Reply with quote

Sunday started out real good. Played some TFC, got fragged a lot, and then went to the ville to check posts. Next thing I hear is "POP" and my screen goes back.

Then a ohh to familiar smell of a small electrical fire. For a second I though that i was going to need and get a fire estinguisher out of the kitchen. But with a little bit of wind the cpu fire was out.

Too bad it took out the whole system (the glass of water did not help but the fire was growing ). It was an old celeron 466 and voodo 3000 video card. The only thing that could be savaged was the hard drive.

And that let me to my new machine that is about 80% up and running today.:

P4 2 Gig Northwood
512 MB pc 2700 ddr
GeoForce 4 ti 4600 with 128mb ram
raid card
2 x 40 GB IBM 7200 drives on raid 0
Asus MB designed for the pc 2700 ram

Maybe the fire was not too bad afterall. Frame rates are just nutz.

DK

And of couse it runs Windows 2000 pro.

Last edited by DaKon on Tue May 21, 2002 1:51 am; edited 1 time in total
hoaxie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know whether to send condolences or congratulations! uuummmm, Welcome back?

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
5th GHG E.G. Mine

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I destroy your computer will you send me one like your new one?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dahak

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet system you got there, what OS though?
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<===jealous

Sorry bout the fire. Was the new system a custom job or is it a premade one?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LanceMantis

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet rig!! But aren't you worried about that RAID 0 taking out your other disk if one goes bad? (And wouldn't you want an AMD? Well, thats just me)

DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it is a custom job. I have a very good local part supplyer that I can get the parts with little mark up. Built it myself. There were headaces but it is fun and a lot cheaper and really not that difficult ( Icannot justify adding about $1000.00 to a sys like this to have someone build for me).

As for AMD or INTEL. Ahh the old debate. I read as much literature on the AMD Althon Xp +2100 and the P4 2.0+ ghz Northwood chips. All of the major gaming magazines were in agreement that the p4 is simply faster. Also the P4s are built about 30 miles from where I live.

But the speed of the machine with gaming is dramatically effected by the agp card. So I choked up about $400.00 for the video card that is just psycotic.

As for raid 0. I did not want redundancy--- just pure access speed (all critical files are backed up on a server).

Lets just TFC just took on a whole new look. I now run at the second highes resolution OPEN GL (I am just not a fan of d3d) on my 19" monitor and love it. Clear crisp and no lag stutters.

The OS is Windows 2000 Professional. I am a huge fan of this OS. The ability to control the hardware and the stability of the OS is the best. Also good old Micro$oft has made Windows 2000 (something designed for office applications) run all games on the market (except really really old ones that want to control HW directly and not let the os control it). Key word with this os is fast and stable. 98 and ME were totally not appropriate for this build. XP home addition, too memory and process taxing. I was looking at XP Professional, but it is built with Windows 2000 technology and I had a sealed new copy of Windows 2000 (hehe I have a friend that works for mircrosoft up north).

DK
PondScum007

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm that would be ultra-kick-ass if it wasnt a blasted intel...oh well but im likeing that pc2700 ram...quite sweet...i think im gogin to pick some up at the end of the summer...is that the corsair stuff?
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ram is PC 2700 333mhz set up. It is meant to run on a FSB than intel desigined. I am not sure of you can get DDR for a AMD( at 333 mhz). Video now runs at 300mhz GPU and 600mhz rambus.

DK
PondScum007

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea you can stick it in most asus boards and a few others, but its not "offically" made for it.. did you get it from corsair? and bah, you seem to have slightly trounced my measly 290mhz/525mhz gpu... nice ;>
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the GPU runs at 300/600. that is set by factory and also is set up for overclocking. (The Geforce4 has serveral diff clock speeds but this is what the fact gives and what i have tested to be so).

And you can run the mem in other asus boards, just be careful (very CAREFUL ).

DK
Lil-Yugi

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PondScum007 wrote:
hmm that would be ultra-kick-ass if it wasnt a blasted intel...oh well but im likeing that pc2700 ram...quite sweet...i think im gogin to pick some up at the end of the summer...is that the corsair stuff?

You made the right choice. Intel is the way to go. not like that blasted AMD chip.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: