FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
symptoms for carpal tunnel syndrome?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 11:43 pm    Post subject: symptoms for carpal tunnel syndrome? Reply with quote

i dont have anything serious yet, but im gonna lay off the game playing for a bit. i have some odd tingling in my wrist that starts happening when i play TFC. its in my left wrist and i use that hand to control my keypad. just curiuos if anyone had any trouble with that before.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: symptoms for carpal tunnel syndrome? Reply with quote

BigCaulk69 wrote:
i dont have anything serious yet, but im gonna lay off the game playing for a bit. i have some odd tingling in my wrist that starts happening when i play TFC. its in my left wrist and i use that hand to control my keypad. just curiuos if anyone had any trouble with that before.

That's the initial sign that the cartillage in your wrists is growing
scar tissue. You'll want to visit your friendly medical doctor and
get checked. I've had problems with this off and on for a couple years
now.

When you play TFC what position is that hand in? Is your wrist bent
or straight? Are you supporting your arm?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
hoaxie

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it. It is more in my right hand than my left. My fingertips go semi-numb. They gat all tingly. It is probably from using a mouse for so many years. I highly recommend a roller ball that fully fits and supports your hand so that there is minimal bending and movement. Also, get one of thos pads that sits near your wrists for your keyboard.

When I learned to type so many years ago, we were taught to type with our wrists in the air, of course we had typwriters, not computers back then. I am still very lazy sometimes and rest my wrists on the desk... so the pad is imperative.

Oh yeah, one more symptom that I have is I will get this pain through the palm of my right hand that almost feels like a cramp and can hurt like heck when I write a lot.

Good luck! And, yes, see a docotr. Though, mine told me there is not much he can do about it. He told me to wear hand splints (kinda like a bowler's wrist thingee) in the evenings and when I sleep.

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PondScum007

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my right shoulder gets sore sometimes if im slouching in my crappy chair whilst heated TFC aiming... good chairs and good posture are good to ahve with computing!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this thing sometimes in my wrist area on right arm, I dont really know how to describe it other than "If you could have a heart attack in your wrist, thats what it feels like." And it hurts for a couple minutes like that then goes away... but I never get it while actually on computer... so i have no idea what it is.
5th GHG E.G. Mine

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think that's bad? I play TFC for about an hour and my whole forearm hurts until the next day! I have to avoid TFC(the second worst thing in my life) every so often. Of course, all I do then is play Gameboy. Ah, well. I think I'll just get my arms turned into human-computer interfaces. I'll keep playing NO MATTER WHAT!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it in both wrists. It's worse in my right hand because of the crappy desks they have at school...too high. I've got a contour keyboard and a trackball to use when I'm not gaming. I'd check out some webpages about ergonomics and stuff. I found some cool ones that have desk adapters for comfort and stuff.
PondScum007

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2002 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5th GHG E.G. Mine wrote:
I think I'll just get my arms turned into human-computer interfaces.

heh windows XP calls USB "human interface" what are you suppsoed to do plug your finger in? hehe

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it in both wrists, and I get stress on the nerves all the way up into
my shoulders. Usually if I watch my posture and don't bend my wrists,
it's not a problem. Lately, with a new job, the desks in the training room suckz0000r, so I've actually grown a lump of scar tissue in my wrist under
the base of my thumb. It's very weird to look at. Just this bump sticking
out.

carp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PondScum007 wrote:

heh windows XP calls USB "human interface" what are you suppsoed to do plug your finger in? hehe

*plug* *zap!* Ow!
5th GHG E.G. Mine

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PondScum007 wrote:
Quote:
what are you suppsoed to do plug your finger in? hehe

(Still working out the quote thing.)
(Crack, snap, snap, snap, POP!, crack).
Yup, I'd tell you but that would require having to move my arms, which would shut off the computer. So just let me-

-5th GHG E.G. Mine has left the computer.
Say: WTF
-You screwed up the computer, stupid.
Say: Doh
-Moron.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Linktodeath

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it too but i have tendititus(spelling?). I had it last year but it comes back once in a while when i am super typing for a research project and other school related things. This is why school is bad, it's bad for my health. LOL

Goldom

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it ever go up like into your hand, halfway to fingers about? Cause all the sudden yesterday and still now I have this awful pain from left wrist thru left side of hand and it hurts
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well in case yall were curious...i went to my doctor the other day, not actually for the pain, but for something else. i asked him about my pain (the numbness went away pretty quickly after i rested it) and he said it wasnt carpal tunnel. and basically to just rest my hand for a week or so. but you guys who are having major trouble should probably go see a doc before things get worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AFI

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was having wrist problems too, from guitar, computer, school writing, and more...

my advice is that every 15-20 minutes just take a 30 second break to stretch, shake out, or whatever to your hands, wrists, knuckles, arms, etc.

it helps a lot, trust me
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: