FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Pig in need

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spanish Warpig

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 11:00 pm    Post subject: Pig in need Reply with quote

Im having some serious issues with TV 1. when i connect i can play fine for a short period, but shortly after i accept the HLGuard message my computer locks up. it is not like a normar lag spike, when it normaly lags i can see others moving and i can hear sounds, but when this happens everything freezes and the sounds just repeat. my keyboard does not fuction at the point and i am forced to reset.

I have only had this problem since the day that HlGuard was added on TV1. i have no problems on the other servers though and i am able to play on different servers with HlGuard. There were a few changes made since the day before i had these problems. The playercount was uped to 26, HlGuard was added, and i got an email which tricked me into deleting a java script debuger. other than that nothing has really changed.

Here are my system specs. 1.2gig athlon, 256 megs ram, Voodoo 3 2000 video card, supra max 56k modem, Western digital 7200rpm 13.5 gig hard drive. i run TFC with Opengl at 800x600 resolution using the standard driver for my card, my isp is onemain, a subsidary of earthlink.

I have one other problem, a few nights ago i got repeated warnigs from my protection program while playing tfc, since then it seems like my computer is not clearing the memory, after being online for a while it says i dont have enough memory to do other tasks, even after i close all programs that i am using it continues to say i dont have enough memory. i though it might be a lack of Hard drive space but i have over a gig of extra space right now.

If anyone has any ideas about what could be my problem, or how to fix it, please post away.

After i get some serious answers you guys can make fun of me all you want...so have fun
Rest is peace trig ill miss ya buddy
Rest in peace Blue...
hoaxie

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like it could be a memory issue... either Your RAM or your video card or both... how much memory does your video card have? Do you have the problem doing anything else... running any other big programs, such as an animation program that has to do rendering, etc?

LONG LIVE THE 'VILLE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
PondScum007

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried reinstalling HL?
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know BBF is Tech Support too and maybe he will have something to add to this. It's real important to know the Operating System. If it's 2000/XP there are a set of things to look for and if it's 98/ME there is a different set of things to look for.

To answer OBH's question, Pig's Voodoo 3 should have 16mb although some had 32mb depending on the model. First I have to say update your modem drivers if you already haven't. Second you should know www.dslreports.com intimately.

Run the link test and save it's results. Connect to one of the other Ville Servers, after connecting run the link test again and save the results. Finally connect to TV1 and run the link test before you press 1. The test will finish before it boots you for not pressing a key. Compare the three test results and look for any anomolies.

It could be the circuit in your area having a problem communicating with the area TV1 is located in. Is there anyone else from Pig's area that is having problems with TV1?

I'd hate to blame it on the player increase or the new HLGuard. My ping is a little higher but not by much. I'm fortunate to play from a T1 most of the time. If it's making my ping a little higher on the T1 it could be choking you 56k to death. It sounds like you are the only with this problem for now. When I saw you on TV1 tonight your ping was around 400. It didn't seem to be doing anything weird but then you dropped.

I guess you should run the tests and we'll see what they say, hopefully someone from your area can post whether they are having the problem also.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into a similar problem about 5 months back.

I had recently installed Win2k, and apparently win2k doesn't like my RivaTNT2 32MB vid card. I would join a server and play for about a minute and get a hard freeze just like you are describing Pig. I had to hard restart with the button on my case.

The solution I found for my problem was unfortunately installing WinXP Pro. My vid card runs like a dream. I am only running an Athlon 700mHz with 256MB of RAM.

I dunno why it decided to crash so recently for ya. Wish I could help. We got enough IT techs here, you should get some solutions soon.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Pig's got Win2k he's okay with his video card. I have a Voodoo 5 5500 in my Win2k box. Everyone knows 3dFX got bought out by Nvidia so there are no new drivers. My Voodoo 5 card is running on Voodoo 3 drivers because that's all that is available. It's the same case for XP, Voodoo 3 drivers for Voodoo 3, 4, and 5 cards. Unless something is physically wrong with his video card that shouldn't be his problem. This is supported because he doesn't have issues with other servers. It's looking like a circuit connection issue or something like that.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my video card has 16 megs and i am running melenium
Linktodeath

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem with TV1: after i connect and choose my team and class, nothing happens and it just sits there spectating, i then try to change class and team but after that i am still stuck there watching. Then a couple of times, i have been kicked and it says in my console "kicked by console." It started when that dialog box asking to accept HLGaurd began to pop up. Sometimes though, i have had no problems.

SoDum

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is your Problem right there, Pig. ME is the absolute worse windows. Ever. You'd be better off with windows three point one. I know. I run it. And sadly i can't upgrade. Or 'downgrade', to an older one. If you can fix that, do so. Now. Don't walk. Run.

Aside from that however... I had a problem like this once, but it only was around for a day or so and then stopped, so i didn't pay it much mind... So, obviously i can't give any real help. Sorry.

Stillness of Body, Focus of thought, oneness of spirit. These are the virtues of a concer.

The only man to boycott happiness!
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! I get "called out" to help...

Ok, first off, I don't know something... after you agree to the in-game pop-up text, does HL guard start to check your hard drive ONLY after you agree? If so, then I have a feeling the problem starts when HLguard tries to scan you drive... if that's the case, I'm clueless. We need someone much more knowledgable about that specific thing...

If it's not triggered by HLguard, the first thing I'd try is making sure you have the newest drivers, especially video and sound. After that, I'd go to windows update and see what they say are "critical updates"... at least you'd be able to replace the java script debugger. If it still happens, I'd reinstall half life, and if that didn't fix it, I'd resintall OS... Millenium will let you reinstall without formatting, right? (my experience with Millenium is very minimal, went from 9x to NT-2K-XP)

Ya know, just for good measure, get the newest drivers and windows updates anyway.

Thank you for using BitterBeerFace's online tech support, your bill is as follows:
$ 100.00 Standard service fee
$ 45.00 "special case" fee
$ 249.95 Parts and labor
$ 16,345,789.32 Microsoft Licensing Fee

Thank you, please come again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows ME loses memory. You probably don't have enough memory to run Half-Life and support the drive scan. One solution may be more memory. A second solution would be a different OS. The 3rd choice would be a program like freemempro that can run in the background and recover your memory.

We had a couple friends that were haveing problems with games and ME, running freemempro solved it. That is truly the worst OS MS ever came out with. Mom and I are still running 98SE since it is the best gaming OS by far.
Computer

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2002 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I had this problem once and this might be the "too easy solution" to this problem. But this only happened to me when I hadn't actually joined the game before the ingame agreement. If I waited to spawn untill after the agreement the I would be frozen there.

Prolly not the right answer, but an answer nonetheless.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: