FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Clarification needed on Avanti respawns

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
son of the monster magnet

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Clarification needed on Avanti respawns Reply with quote

I know I've seen this brought up before, and in the last "respawn" thread I read, it was discussed that respawn is BEHIND THE GATES. So now I'm playing tonight, Avanti, I'm a pyro, the opp. team has capped so, now they appear not behind the gates, not near the fountain, but by the ramp landing below 2. God forbid I set foot on that landing when 1 or 2 people start blabbering about the "rules" "ah.... don't cha know.....avanti respawns move....yeah, that's it.... they move"

I understand that the "respawn" rule was originally started because of medics infecting entire teams inside the gates, but now am I to understand that as the opposing team caps a flag, and they reappear in an unguarded area, where if they choose, they can build an SG to keep opponents out, am I to now understand that if this area qualifies as a "respawn" then in effect you have halved the gameplay area of that map and that if someone, anyone from a fast moving scout to a lumbering HW, that anyone can be banned ? What about a spy? does that qualify as a banning offence too?

Surely this can't be true, as that would mean that on other maps ( like badlands) a demo wouldn't be able to blow the tunnel allowing his team access to 2/4 as now they would be too close to the spawn area? I can understand the gated area being off limits (as aside from gates, valve has included those beautiful auto-guns), but isn't the purpose to induce your team to try inventive things to either win the game of stymie the enemy. Isn't there supposed to be some sort of a challange to playing it? or is any challange removed, making Avanit (a very good map) a stepford wife of TFC? If this is true about the avanti map, they by taking any lattitude for inventiveness out of it, youv'e diminished it to simply a tug-of-war of a bad game of tic-tac-toe.

So I would appreciate a "golden rule" please. I need to be able to deciede if avanti is a map I'll be playing on Ville servers anymore or not.

Thanks
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said in that game...RTFM

The map you are referring to about tunnels is Warpath...not Badlands.

Ginsu

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what does RTFM mean?
Goldom

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theville.org/respawn/
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on "RTFM" in my other post and you'll see what I was talking about.

(Read The F***ing Manual)
Monk

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is widely debated, but the Gods have made one thing clear. You cannot attack anyone while they are respawning. To see a map of where the respawns are, Click Here.

You are however allowed to run through the respawn areas to go behind the lines for whatever reason. You can even go behind the gates and steal the enemy team's grenades, but not while this is their respawn area. You can attack people behind the outlined respawn areas. For example, after 3 has been capped, you can attack people around the well area since they are respawning under cap 2. There is nothing wrong with running through an outlined respawn area, but if you attack anyone, it is a bannable offense.

Read the rules about it Here for complete details about it, but I think this shouid answer the more controversial question.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read it, frankly I'll be passing on Avanti on the ville servers then. Rules (at least regarding avanti's spawns) are waaaaaay to tight for me, shit, I'd be afraid that If i even passed that way to get those grenades, next thing I'd be facing is a condump and screen shot from someone looking to Ban.....BAn....BAN!!!

It's a good map, it's a shame it's being limited to only half it's playing area, but that instead of rolling with the punches, and figuring a way to nail the medic that keeps comming down, the option is taken away completely, and then the guy that does pass through actually faces a ban.

I guess you must like it that way though, well, i guess some of you.
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, we haven't had a problem with people doing that in a long time. Most people who do it are informed by us regulars about the rules and they go on to live perfectly normal llama-free lives. Then there are the ones who get belligerant about how it's not fair, and how Valve would have made it impossible for people to go in there if they didn't want llamas. But to them I say this; "Go be an @$$ somewhere else." Valve has enough problems on their hands then to deal with how a small minority of players choose to ruin a game. I don't mean to get preachy, but there are very few rules here, and the ones we have, we stand behind and enforce harshly.
Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

son of the monster magnet wrote:
I'd be afraid that If i even passed that way to get those grenades

On Avanti, grenades are in each team's spawns, so this is not an issue. I presume your stance is being on defense and wanting to go down by CP1 to get grenades? They aren't there, they are by the barrel turret in the spawn. I'm not sure why the spawn points moving forward becomes an issue on defense. Usually the defending team has no reason to go behind the attackers, since that's not where the fight is.

In terms of pushing the enemy team back, that's fine - but when they're going for the church, you have to stop AT CP2 (or go around by the balcony area with the bag.) Grenades, rockets, etc. spamming or damaging anyone in the spawn is strictly off limits.

However, you are free to run through the spawn, if you need a pack, or just want to distract the enemy. However they can shoot you and you can't shoot them in the immediate spawn point.

If someone spawns under CP2 and chases you to the fountain, you're free to engage them at the fountain (or once they've cleared the spawn point.)

The intent here is to allow players to spawn without being immediately attacked.
SoDum

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That brings up something else. Is it possible to chase people into the respawns or not? Been here for months and i still havn't heard a final answer on that one, really, from an admin. I know it's ok to attack snipers firing from respawn, etc, but what if some pansey runs into thier respawn and you are chasing them? Do they become protected by law when they enter the respawn?

Stillness of Body, Focus of thought, oneness of spirit. These are the virtues of a concer.

The only man to boycott happiness!
Warhammer
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the blanket answer is that the spawn is off-limits. However I don't want to endorse the spawn as a safe haven for players who have already been in battle. The spawn rules are meant to protect newly-spawned players, not battle-weary ones.

I make it a point to toss as many nades as possible at people running back to the spawn.
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give Avanti on TheVille

I think it's perfect the way it is.

As for people running into spawn from a fight, I say it's that person's fault that there is spam in their spawn flying after them. If you build an SG in your respawn and it is attacking me outside of your respawn, I'm going to take it out. But that's just MO.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: