FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Scripts? What the hell are they? (Trigger Speaks)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use a script?
Yes?
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
I think I'll pass thank you.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Paddyjack

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: mine are... Reply with quote

I have a build sg script: one key to build sg level 1. This mean I don't have to go through the menus

I have a spy script: one key each bind to a different disguise. Note that using this, I'm limited to the class I decided are the best to disguise to. Again I don't have to go through these annoying menus.

Of course I have one key bound to "primeone", and another key bound to "throwgren". This way I can time my throw better, for better distance accuracy.

Note that a key bound for exemple to "detdispenser" is not a scripts. It's a perfectly available command. Valve could not include every possible combinations in the design of the game, it would have given a very long useless menu. Instead, they give the minimal, then release the commands for players to bind their keys. If you want, I can give you the website where all these commands are listed and what are their founctions. For exemple, the supershotgun is bound to the letter t for movement reasons. DO you really think Valva could have included a menu where you can bind all every possible weapons to every class?? Come on, thats plain useless. Instead you write yourself a small text file with these 4-5 binds for every classes.

I don't see why ppl get angry at scripts like rocket jumping. The only scripts ppl should hate are those who allowed players things that could not have been possible without them.

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 cents worth.
I'm a "hard liner" when it comes to this topic.

Any script is bad.
Any bind that allows you to do something that gives an advantage, of any type is just plain cheap. Best example is the 'nade priming... tap grenade once, then tap again to release is bad. It takes more skill to be able to hold down the grenade button while jumping and shooting, then releasing.

I have 4 "non standard binds":
"_special2"
"detspecial"
"detdispenser" (by my definition, cheap, but apparently demanded here at the Ville)
"detsentry" (by my definition, also cheap)

The binds to build SGs and rotate them suck, also. It's not that hard to build and rotate your SG, come on guys.

I don't care what anyone says, a reload bind to movements is cheap. A very large part of a player's "skill" is the ability to remember to do things. Reload after every battle, drop packs after you grab ammo, etc etc...

And amen to everyone who said hardware is the biggest difference. You're darned right it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Trigger Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-=CLOSES HIS EYES, NODDS HIS HEAD UP-AND-DOWN AND SHAKING HIS HANDS UP IN THE AIR IN A RAPID MOTION=----/> AMEN MY BROTHA AMEN!!!

Just giving him an AMEN because me and my frenz do it all the time.

"You know that chick, dayem she was fione dude!!!"

"CAN I GET AN AMEN MY BROTHAS?!?"

"Certainly, AMEN MY BROTHA AMEN!"

- Sig Made By <TVB>Bada^Bing-TPF-

Last edited by Trigger Happy on Wed May 08, 2002 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
EagleEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBF I am assuming you have never used a reload script or any scripts you're talking about. So you don't have any experience with them, so you don't know if they are cheap or not. And Lin, I am talking in the lines of Fair, when it comes to customizing. Remember HW guys have default tracers, they are yellow. Whats wrong with changing the color? It's the same as customizing your rockets. But not the tracers that give true aim while conced. Those are plain ghey!
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have white tracers and cannot shoot conced
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: BitterBeerFace.... Reply with quote

Well, that is your opinion.

However, even though I respect it, I think you are mistaken and you should refrain from employing "cheap" and other similar adjectives. Because in the minds of countless players, binding a key to a simple thing like "rotate 180" is perfectly harmless. Moreoever, Valve wanted it that way. Ask them, you will see.

So you can keep your opinion about this, even argue you r point, I don't mind about that, but I don't like seeing the insulting way you put it.

*edited to add a title*

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ktulu

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could even take this in a related feature that most use here (including the hardliners) that put a different skin on your weapon like that cool rocket launcher or the custom crosshairs, those do give you a advantage but nobody would dare say there cheap or cheeting and they did not come out of the box that way did they?

For you hardliners I say try these binds first and then decide for yourself if we have an unfair advantage.
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, I've never used any script in TFC. I don't intend to either. I can do pretty well with my crappy hardware, laggy as hell connection, and 1337 skillz! (LOL)

Really though, I don't see the point in using a script, I've made myself a mental script... after every fight, I reload... after I grab packs, I toss extra ammo... no extra help needed here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
EagleEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, if you haven't used said scripts, then how would you know if they are unfair or not? Until you have tried out the scripts and know what they are like you are just assuming. So I still have yet to find a decent arguement as to why scripts are bad/unfair.
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't I say that twice already? Why isn't anyone listening to me? I don't suck that much do I
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EE - If a script means that you only use one button instead of two or more buttons, that is an advantage.

Ap.
Trigger Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lin you don't suck, you just SHMMMELL! Hehe, just kiddin.

</----- feeds my fish scripts for breakfast

- Sig Made By <TVB>Bada^Bing-TPF-
EagleEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since you can do the same thing as I can, that doesn't make it unfair. And how much of an advantage does it give, about *squeezes fingers real tight* much?
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question:

Depends on alot of factors, reflexes, speed, what your trying to do at the time. and so on... an advantage however small is still an advantage, Especially when in the middle of a fight, time is the ultimate killer, or lack of it, buts a whole bucket full of fish when it comes down to ping time and hardware ....

I will say this, congrats to all that have debated this so far for keeping it civil, despite the obvious strong felt difference of opinion.

Ap.

Last edited by ApacheEyes on Wed May 08, 2002 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krayonz

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love using scripts, expecially all the sniping ones. They are great, they do all my aiming for me, run away from the NME for me. Throw my grenades at the NME for me, lets me know who the NME spies are, and tells me where the NME is coming from. But my favorite script is the one that automatically takes the flag to the cap point, doin all kinda crazy stuff like bunnyhopping, jumping funny so I am harder to shoot, and then it rocket jumps me right to the cap point. It dosen't get much better than that. Where would I be without scripts? I LOVE SCRIPTS.

Krayonz

Seriously though, scripts dont do the things that require skill. So EE loads his rocket a little more efficiently, big deal, it has nothing to do with why is a sick soldier. If scripts were such a big advantage dont you think you would be able to tell who had them? I kill people using scripts just as easily as those without scripts. Like someone said before, reloading isn't a real skillfull task. People have conc jumping competitions and stuff, but I have yet to see a reloading competition. But if anyone wants to have one, Im down, I have mad reloading skills.
Krayonz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: