FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Scripts? What the hell are they? (Trigger Speaks)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use a script?
Yes?
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
I think I'll pass thank you.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too Silent Bob!

I'll meet you on the grudge server at. . .low noon! Ten paces back to back! turn and reload!

My reload skillz will have you screaming, "WOW I never even saw it"!
Computer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow here we go again with the script thing.

First all lets go ahead and announce that I do indeed use a reload script. One that I wrote on my own without going to any "cheat/hack" sight to download. So am I to be at fault cause I was given the ability to take something as simple as typing "+reload" and attach it to my forward button?

THIS GAME WAS MADE TO BE CUSTOMIZED!

This reload script isn't exlusive, gives no distinct advantage, and is in no way shape or form a cheat. So your calling me lazy for not wanting to add another friggin key so I can reload, well then I think your lazy cause you won't take 2 seconds to go into your config and type the word reload.

I never knew what the nade scripts did but now that I do I can udnerstand using one. I dont', but if you do then fine. I don't see it giving you any advantage.

Like I've already mentioned this isn't come exclusive Hackers Club for scripters. You can do it, I promise.
PHISH

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any script is bad.
Any bind that allows you to do something that gives an advantage, of any type is just plain cheap. Best example is the 'nade priming... tap grenade once, then tap again to release is bad. It takes more skill to be able to hold down the grenade button while jumping and shooting, then releasing.

From greebo:
Quote:
Once again - unless you are handicapped you have no excuse for not having a config that doesn't allow you to hold a grenade with one button while moving with another - we do have 4 fingers and an opposable (Spelling?) thumb - or have you all forgotten that?

Taken from greebo's config:
bind "c" "say_team Incoming spy as Sniper"
bind "d" "say_team Incoming spy as Engineer"
bind "e" "say_team Incoming spy as Demoman"
bind "f" "say_team Incoming spy as Spy"

Very hipocritical.
So essentially you are arguing that you should have to physically type those out every time, because this is giving you the advantage of instantly doing something that otherwise would require you to stop and type it out. Why don't you do it the default way? lazy ? "you have no excuse unless your handicapped to not type those out manually". See how trivial this is? You can call it a skill whatever, but in the end this is a game, and streamlining a few repetitive skilless tasks doesn't make someone a cheap player, just like your comm binds shown don't make you a cheap player, but rather a smart player. Valve included console commands for this very reason.
Computer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes I was gonna say that PHISH, you hit the nail on the head right there. You should have to physically type out everything you need to say because you don't have to stop and type it like I do. So you have and advantage becaue you "scripted" a say.

I'm not trying to flame promise, this issue just gets the blood pumping alittle faster.
ToRaK

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way Krayonz...

Bring a little humor to this otherwise hot issue.

GJ everyone keeping this civil. Way to go!
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHISH wrote:
Quote:
Any script is bad.
Any bind that allows you to do something that gives an advantage, of any type is just plain cheap. Best example is the 'nade priming... tap grenade once, then tap again to release is bad. It takes more skill to be able to hold down the grenade button while jumping and shooting, then releasing.

From greebo:
Quote:
Once again - unless you are handicapped you have no excuse for not having a config that doesn't allow you to hold a grenade with one button while moving with another - we do have 4 fingers and an opposable (Spelling?) thumb - or have you all forgotten that?

Taken from greebo's config:
bind "c" "say_team Incoming spy as Sniper"
bind "d" "say_team Incoming spy as Engineer"
bind "e" "say_team Incoming spy as Demoman"
bind "f" "say_team Incoming spy as Spy"

Very hipocritical.
So essentially you are arguing that you should have to physically type those out every time, because this is giving you the advantage of instantly doing something that otherwise would require you to stop and type it out. Why don't you do it the default way? lazy ? "you have no excuse unless your handicapped to not type those out manually". See how trivial this is? You can call it a skill whatever, but in the end this is a game, and streamlining a few repetitive skilless tasks doesn't make someone a cheap player, just like your comm binds shown don't make you a cheap player, but rather a smart player. Valve included console commands for this very reason.

Nice try but I defined a script as being something which performs more than one function at the single press of a button - do I do that - I don't think so.
ToRaK

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...getting really technical.

Step 1: Opening message
Step 2: Typing message
Step 3: Hitting enter/sending message

It did more than one thing!!!
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if we're gonna get *technical* lets use the console to control the game.
Computer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I think we shoudl all just go to TFC eutopia and play on equal pings with 5 button optical mice and all use default commands.
ToRaK

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe I think I'd rather go on a Haggis Hunt :p
FragFailure

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can give a rat's ass about scripts at this point. I can kick 85% of your asses in with or without them I bet. I don't think most scripts will give someone a decided advantage. I usually can tell when someone is using a script. I tried the primed grenades script once (when I actually learned about primed grenades thanks to Mike Rotch.) I didn't know you could just hold down the button and start the timer. Holding it down yourself is 10x easier. EE was easy to figure (reloading script) because I'm counting rockets against him. The 5th came faster than I expected. If it usually takes him five rockets to kill me then he sucks. Usually he gets me in 3 if he's after me. Does this also make strafe jumping "cheating" too?

Has Valve ever had an offical position on scripts?

I usually have less respect for script "whores." That issue is also not black or white either. It still comes down to talent.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
three_gunn

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with the ones that are saying its just a matter of skill. in professional sports their are advantages and disadvantages within each player....one wide receiver will have huge hands and be pretty stocky but is only an inch above 6ft...while an opposing receiver will be 6'7" lean and quick with smaller hands. its the same position(class) on a team...yet they are different. is one better than the other? it all depends on how he manages himself...or in our case...it all matters on how much skill we each have as we play. just because someone uses a script does not mean they are better than the next person. ill use myself as an example...i mentioned earlier that i have a script to build an SG. does that give me the advantage over an enemy soldier?-hell no...i could be placing my SG at the most useless, worst spot on the map...so out in the open that i might as well hang a sign saying 'soldiers eat here for free' people can do a lot of things to make gaming easier for them...but it doesnt mean they are superior in skill.
Blown

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also go to www.planetfortress.com and they have a section on how to do scripts, aliases, etc etc. Kinda funny to me that they show alot of these things rite there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Krayonz

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you are much better than me at spotting scripts, and probably anything else tfc related anyways. Most people probably can't tell if someone is using a script, I know I can't. That might be because I am running though. Lol I remember the first time I played at theville (I used to play at parkwest b!tches before it disappeared). I saw EE's name at the top of the player of the week list and then noticed he was on tv1 so I went to try to kill him. I killed him the first time I saw him and he got kinda pizzed (because I was a newb to the server prolly), he came after me again and I killed him just b4 his nade killed me. We both don't like to die so I made it my mission to kill him again(I assume he did the same). He killed me a couple of times and I did the same, anyways he came after me and killed me with a nade but not b4 I sniped him again. After that he said I was gay and left the game. I was so stoked that he called me gay that it made my day, but I stayed away from him after that because I don't like to die...and now we are chill. Hmmmmmm......I guess the point of the story was I wouldn't know if he was using a script by how fast that 5th rocket came out because I am either dead or running with my back to him.

Krayonz
Trigger Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snipa, please tell me that you don't use a script. Your like a good close TFC friend so tell me the truth I just got back from class, noticing there's three pages worth of comments added to this thread. So I'm just wondering dude

- Sig Made By <TVB>Bada^Bing-TPF-

Last edited by Trigger Happy on Wed May 08, 2002 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: