FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Scripts? What the hell are they? (Trigger Speaks)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use a script?
Yes?
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
I think I'll pass thank you.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 12

Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torak, I don't see your det/build "script" as anything I am worried about. It only performs one task when pushed. I dislike multitasking scripts. Something that (upon hitting one button) makes your character look down and fire a rocket. Things like that. Reload scripts I still do not like because you don't have to hit a single button. When Valve takes away having to reload, great! I will be all for it. Until then, I'll keep pulling back on my mouse wheel.

I can see Toraks point on one end though. Since I have a 5 button optical mouse and the next guy doesn't that is giving me the advantage. That makes total sense. However, TheVille rules do not say anything about using 5 button optical mouses or having cable connections. . .They do say this though,

Quote:
6. Anyone found running hacked mods, proxy bots, or any kind of 'helper' paks, or addons, are considered cheaters and will be kicked and banned immediately. You will also be reported to server admins globally for possible banning from many other servers. SO JUST DON'T DO IT!

I always considered a script an "addon". Obviously, it is tolerated here so anyone complaining about scripts users are just blowing hot air. The only thing we can do is just play our way. Regardless of whether some think it is cheap, if it's legal, it's legal. Nothing more can be said really.
three_gunn

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only 2 scripts i run is in the'engy' class: the build/det dispesner and build sg(but NOT to auto-upgrade or auto-rotate 180)...and the build SG script is also binded to tell my team that im 'building an SG'.

when i first started playing as an engy...i never used a script..it was always right-clicking, choosing from the menu to build SG, upgrading manually, going back in to rotate 180 if i needed too...i learned to get used to doing this and eventually pretty fast...but the more i talked to other engy-guys...they all said they used the build/det disp and build SG scripts..so in order to keep up with the other engys, i started to also(peer pressure man...whattabyotch) to be honest..i felt bad for using this script for awhile because it was whole lot faster.

but now i dont see the scripts as an advantage anymore...because as im building(either an SG or disp)...im still helpless...just sitting there taking my sweet-engy time, trying to get this SG up while some soldier is hovering right above me with a grin on his face, a primed up nade, and 3 rockets left in his launcher to send up my arse...(but the tables turn when i become solly )

however, when i play solly...no script is needed. i find it hilarious that someone needs a script to RJ. there are going to be different scenarios and different reaches and dont RJ scripts limit you?? IMHO...RJing with a primed nade and having deadly accuracy should be learned...not typed in.
EagleEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AP, you are contradicting yourself with every post. You say that you think less of me because I don't have to push a button to reload. Did you read my post? I said if I push W A S D it reloads. That is pushing a button isn't it? My auto-reload script does not reload any faster than just pressing mouse2 or R, so saying it's giving me an unfair advantage is BS. You guys are knocking something before you even try it. So go try scripts out before you judge the people who use them.

P.S. here is what the script looks like:

Echo *OMG TEH H4X!!1*

alias +f "+forward;+reload"
alias -f "-forward;+reload;wait;-reload"
alias +b "+back;+reload"
alias -b "-back;+reload;wait;-reload"
alias +l "+moveleft;+reload"
alias -l "-moveleft;+reload;wait;-reload"
alias +r "+moveright;+reload"
alias -r "-moveright;+reload;wait;-reload"
bind "w" "+f"
bind "s" "+b"
bind "a" "+l"
bind "d" "+r"
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....OK LISTEN GUYS....

i think you people are whining waaaay too much about scripts giving an unfair advantage. if you want to look at unfair advantages then you should think about what HARDWARE people have. that by far gives the most advantages. my 5 button mouse, my fast computer, and my fast connection give me tons more advantages than a reload script. i'm still constantly hitting my buttons to move since thats what my reload keys are bound to. its not as if you can reload while firing either. so i have no clue what that discussion about a soldier never running out of rockets was about. even if you have a script you run out of ammo. you people against scripts are killing me. you treat them as if they are some amazing thing that helps you aim and think...because they just don't help like that.

and this whole respect thing...give me a break...geez!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EagleEyes wrote:

P.S. here is what the script looks like:

Echo *OMG TEH H4X!!1*

alias +f "+forward;+reload"
alias -f "-forward;+reload;wait;-reload"
alias +b "+back;+reload"
alias -b "-back;+reload;wait;-reload"
alias +l "+moveleft;+reload"
alias -l "-moveleft;+reload;wait;-reload"
alias +r "+moveright;+reload"
alias -r "-moveright;+reload;wait;-reload"
bind "w" "+f"
bind "s" "+b"
bind "a" "+l"
bind "d" "+r"

how cute eagle i think we almost have the same script! except mine is bound the the 4,5,6,8 keypad keys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EE - I apologize, I missread your post,

you still have an advantage though.. While I'm trying to move and reload, your moving and auto reloading... I still fail to see how this is NOT an advantage to you and a disadvantage to others that don't.

As for going off and trying different scripts, no thanks, I'd rather die 50 times and kill you once knowing I did it unaided.

oh and congrats on winning the cup with BR.

Ap.
three_gunn

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigCaulk69 wrote:
....think about what HARDWARE people have. that by far gives the most advantages. my 5 button mouse, my fast computer, and my fast connection give me tons more advantages than a reload script.

-that is a good point...but the reason i have an infared mouse with 5 buttons is because...well first off, im right handed, so i use my right hand for priming both nades(w/out a script). holding a button down while still aiming isnt a problem with my right hand thx to my multi-button mouse.
EagleEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you understood what I wrote. I said pressing mouse2 and R, took the same amount of time as the script. NO ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER! If I took off my script for reloading, you make it sound like I wouldn't be able to kill anyone, because I am too slow to reload. That is nonsense, I hardly ever need my fifth rocket to kill someone.
The only way I can think that it gives me some sort of advantage, is having more keys to bind stuff to. But then again, someone who customizes there keys for better flexibility has an advantage over someone who uses default. Or someone who has better aim with RPG or Super Shotty has a Unfair advantage over someone who has lesser aim. Or someone who is smarter has an advantage over someone who isn't, bleh I could go on forever.

P.S. Thanks Ap. the cup was a blast.
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EE - dude, most times you only need 2 rockets to kill anyone

One of the best things about the english language is its ambiguous..

We are obviously reading different things into what we are writing and meaning..

I first stated that any script that is used so that no key needed to be pressed, is an advantage. if they not, then why use them.

Ap.
Trigger Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peeps, villans, gents and ladies calm your hormones down a notch. I just wanted to know what a script was, and a good definition wouldn't hurt neither. What kind of scripts are out there and where do you find them? I am not about to install a friggin' script in my computer because I did it accidently before, LOL. I was like oh shiz what da hell am I going to do with all these friggin control options! So what I had to do was reinstall my hl or whatever I did to erase them. Funny thing is, that was way back when I first started playing TFC. The amazing thing was, man there were so many things I can do with it. Good stuff

- Sig Made By <TVB>Bada^Bing-TPF-
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scripts
Hate em - weakest form of cheating IMHO.

Only person I've ever known to be justified in using them is Species.
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trigger Happy wrote:
Peeps, villans, gents and ladies calm your hormones down a notch. I just wanted to know what a script was, and a good definition wouldn't hurt neither. What kind of scripts are out there and where do you find them? I am not about to install a friggin' script in my computer because I did it accidently before, LOL. I was like oh shiz what da hell am I going to do with all these friggin control options! So what I had to do was reinstall my hl or whatever I did to erase them. Funny thing is, that was way back when I first started playing TFC. The amazing thing was, man there were so many things I can do with it. Good stuff

Simple definition of script.

A script is a bind that performs more than one action (i.e. a scripted action) at the touch of a key/mousebutton etc.
EagleEyes

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApacheEyes wrote:
EE - dude, most times you only need 2 rockets to kill anyone

One of the best things about the english language is its ambiguous..

We are obviously reading different things into what we are writing and meaning..

I first stated that any script that is used so that no key needed to be pressed, is an advantage. if they not, then why use them.

Ap.

I already explained why I use the reload script. Because it frees up a key that I can redifine something else to it. Simple as that.
BigCaulk69

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApacheEyes wrote:

you still have an advantage though.. While I'm trying to move and reload, your moving and auto reloading... I still fail to see how this is NOT an advantage to you and a disadvantage to others that don't.

As for going off and trying different scripts, no thanks, I'd rather die 50 times and kill you once knowing I did it unaided.

ok i had to lift this from apache's post to eagle....

of course its an advantage for the people who use them. using scripts is done so you can minimize your actions, and not do things excessively. everyone who has used a RJ, LJ, CJ, or GJ script knows you can do them better on your own, so they dont have much use. i am not talking about those kinds of scripts. i am talking about the reload script. yes it is an advantage to have your reload bound to your movement keys. its also being smart as well. kind of like how its smart to bunnyhop since you will move faster. kind of like how its smart to learn how to concjump to get you across a wide open map faster. kind of like how its smart to learn that you can use corners to rocket jump higher.

perhaps we should advocate a puritan version of team fortress where you can't use scripts, can't rocketjump, can't bunnyhop, can't concjump, everyone has equal ping, and everyone has a 5 button mouse.
PHISH

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: bloh Reply with quote

Reloading in TFC is not a skill(as opposed to counterstrike, where you have to decide when to reload and such), it is a repetitive task, there is no skill in it AT ALL(holi shit that was some nice reloading!...you really out reloaded me there! good fight pete!...just doesn't work). Halflife included the ability to script repetitive motions for a reason. If you think you are a more pure player because you have enough buttons on your mouse /around your wasd configuration to warrant pressing a button over and over everytime you fire, more power to you. I for one would like to save myself that so I have keys available to do other things that actually require skill

About a grenade prime script: There is a simple script that allows you to press the grenade key once to prime, then press again to release (rather than hold it). I personally don't use it because I'm so used to holding the key down, but since you just have to press once to prime and once to release, that finger is free to do movements and such, as opposed to my configuration where i have to hold it. I don't view this as a big deal and I could care less if people use this, I can move fine while holding down my grenade keys.

Soldiers who know how to rocket jump in any situation will always have an advantage over a scripted rocket jumper having no abilities to do it manually.

There would be no point of a conc script, too reliant with wait commands on ping and choke and loss, plus guys who can do their own concs will just totally blow away someone who manages to make a simple script.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: