FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AOL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How many bad things can you say about AOL.
Unlimited(can talk about it forever)
91%
 91%  [ 32 ]
8%
 8%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 35

Linktodeath

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: AOL Reply with quote

In this post say everything you hate about AOL and the things you like(can anyone even think of one )

Here i'll start: THE 400 PING AND DISCONNECTIONS EVERY 10MINS
Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bad thing about AOL??? Hmmmm....

How about their CRAPPY COMMERCIALS!
They come out with a new version of AOL each month and their commercials are all about How wonderful it is, and LOOK! I can talk to my friends ONLINE!!
The best part about the versions is that they probably lower the ping by one (No, I don't use AOL thank god, but a lot of my friends do and I havn't heard one good thing about it from them)[/b]
Ktulu

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AOL sux0r's

I have always made it a personal mission of mine to convert as many AOL'ers as I can, I am well over 100 now and Steve Case has a hit contract out on me.

If I hear "You Got Mail" one more time I'll.... I'll..... burn the Zen garden! yeah that's what I'll do
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I began to truly hate AOhell when I was trying to help people set up their PCs on a college's network... everyone of them who had previously used AOhell involved a whole lot more headaches. I had to 'kill off' so damned many things like "always dial aol to get online"... that sort of annoyance.

When you work on dozens of PCs, and every last one of them with AOhell is a pain, you start to hate AOhell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats AOL?

Sounds like a Neo mod gadget, thats on the lame side.
Linktodeath

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just playing on the Private Server with about 200 ping (never seen it any better) then like a rocket 4096 Ping. I couldn't even move. I got crowbar killed by JollyRoger and then had a sideways screen for about 5mins when i got disconnected. I connected back on and i never even saw ping ower than 600.

And Ktulu, if i can ever figure out how to post files on the new forum without the old "upload file" box, i can post a "You've got Mail" hack where i have it saying something else...
Linktodeath

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats funny is that the slogan "You've got mail" is bad grammar, because it would be You have got mail and thats not right. Everytime they come out with a new version its worse than one before...that is why i am still on 6.0.

The reason, i believe, that they say its never been easier to use is that the speed has been getting slower and slower that you cant do anything and its not very hard to do completely nothing now is it?

Another thing is that it costs $23 a month and when half the time its so slow you can look at a webpage its a rip-off.

I only like AIM, which they are stupid enough to let you download it for free.

If anyone is curious, it takes me about 7 1/2mins to 8 1/2 mins from the time i turn on my comp to the time i actually get onto a TV server.

This is why:

Takes 2mins two turn on my comp.
Takes 2mins or so for AOL to open up.
Takes another min to sign on.
Takes 30sec to get to the internet games in TFC
Takes 2 to 3 mins to actually connect to a server (that is if it connects the first time)

BOOHOO... I want DSL......WAAAAAA WAAAAAAA!!!!!
three_gunn

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

put it this way.....i work for time warner....and before the time warner/aol merge that happened a couple years ago, our stock was through the roof....now, our stock is below $20 a share...they are draggin' us down.
we had tons of success last year with multiple academy award winning movies and t.v. shows....yet 'AOhell' has managed to find a way to pull us down along with their crappy service.
`RaphX

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's bad enough over here seeing all these AOL CD's saying "100 hours free" to be used in the first 30 days. 3 hours 20 min per day on British Dial-up? No thanks.
But get this - an AOL ad appeared on ICQ saying "1000 hours free" to be used in the first 45 days. Normally, 45 days contains 1080 hours...

It annoyed me so much that I had a letter printed in a magazine about it.
Linktodeath

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

three_gunn wrote:
put it this way.....i work for time warner....and before the time warner/aol merge that happened a couple years ago, our stock was through the roof....now, our stock is below $20 a share...they are draggin' us down.
we had tons of success last year with multiple academy award winning movies and t.v. shows....yet 'AOhell' has managed to find a way to pull us down along with their crappy service.

Yeah, I have time warner's digital cable, apart from it being very very expensive, it is good quality. I want to get ether Verizon DSL or Roadrunner Cable soon... hopefully for a birthday present or somethinglike that. Just have to keep my fingers crossed.

Oh, do you have Roadrunner? If so how good a ping does it have of TFC.

DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Earthlink DSL, and in my opinion stay away from the good ald pos @#$!@# verizon. They were no help to me but earthink has been great,

DK
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents have AOL, and if any of you remember back to January of this year, you noticed that I had some rather high latency while playing. That my friends is due to AOL and it's barely 34k connection at home. I also had to wipe everything clean before I went back to school, because as BBF pointed out, AOL doesn't like you to use any other form of connection without consulting them first... Yes, my parents are quite fed up with AOL and the terrible service and connection, but AOL is the only ISP they can get out where they live, other than a satellite connection. But that costs quite a lot, and my dad doesn't feel like spending that much for a connection that will only give him speeds slightly better than the current AOL one.
three_gunn

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linktodeath wrote:
Oh, do you have Roadrunner? If so how good a ping does it have of TFC.

nah sorry 'linktodeath', i have Pac Bell DSL and i have yet to experience any poor performance, problems, difficulties, frustrations from these guys...
*knock on wood*

-ive had both (cable and DSL) at my apt and DSL is my top choice...
OpTlk

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All i have to say is i've had AOL, TimeWarner RoadRunner, Cox Cable's Cable Modem(my current connect) and a T1 in college...and i choose...the T1 nah, seriously AOL sux0rs mainly because they're goal is QUANTITY over QUALITY, always bragging about thier 7(or whatever it is now)million users that conned into signing up for it, instead of "souping up" thier connections and making it worth the $23/month. Hell, im spending $40/month now for my cable modem and i average a latency of 100 on the TV servs. its usually closer to 60 on 3, but for some reason im laggy on 4...anyways...down with the evil infection!

Oh, and whomever that was that worked for Time Warner, first, you're support is better than Cox Cables' heh and second..you're right...you were doing GREAT before the merge, but like i said AOL is an infection!!

**leaves 2 cents in the jar**

http://www.myspace.com/pvallone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sSdD

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe i have officially transfered from AOL... heeh and i love DSL now.. will NEVER EVER go back to AOL..... dispise them
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: