FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Voice Com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Voice Com Reply with quote

I was wondering who of ya all good folks use voice com. I just started to use it on every game (and when I come though over mic everyone says I am Bada, lol poor bada you sound like me lol).

And i just heard TVB Hoax and I swear she is CycoMom. LOL

I find voice very good for game ply, as long as you dont start to chat and b$. I would love to use it more on the ville but I can talk a lot as to flag local, enemies etc (and I think poeple mute me lol). The prob is very few talk back with the same intel.

DK (living life one day at a time)
hoaxie

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that those who have it, use it. Especially when you have great team players like Jolly Roger, PondScum, Bada, etc. Heck, JR, PS, and me were communicating beautifully earlier when we were playing on the private server. It was great.

I have to say, there are moments though when I just feel very drained, and I will sit back and be quiet. But, I believe voice is a glorious thing.

CyCoMoM, huh? What a nice compliment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
My Personal Insanity

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Voice Com Reply with quote

DK wrote:

I find voice very good for game ply, as long as you dont start to chat and b$. I would love to use it more on the ville but I can talk a lot as to flag local, enemies etc (and I think poeple mute me lol). The prob is very few talk back with the same intel.

I need to find a decent key to bind it to so I can use it more...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Hoax you sound like mom, just minus the 50 birds she owns going buik buk in the back round lol.

lol
DK
gindapoo

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use it more, but I have problems with it being garbled sometimes. I don't know why it is like that; I have tried numerous things to try to correct the problem. I like getting the intel quickly through the voice comm--very useful.
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gindapoo are you on dsl or cable? DSL on voice com no prob. Cable I have had probs becuase of the shared bandwith.
\
DK
Vulcan

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I have voice working, I will be using it in game.
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a high speed connection from rural NW Oregon. You have to have dsl or cable to do it good, otherwise it wont work and lagg out you sys. And if it work on the opp team has and not yours does not, you are toast.

DK
Vulcan

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DK wrote:
I have a high speed connection from rural NW Oregon. You have to have dsl or cable to do it good, otherwise it wont work and lagg out you sys. And if it work on the opp team has and not yours does not, you are toast.

DK

I don't think that this is correct. I have a 56k connection and my lag is just the same with voice as without it. I also think I am doing it good, One Big Hoax correct me if I am wrong, but I could have tweaked things so the voice doesn't affect it much.
SoDum

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Especially when you have great team players like Jolly Roger, PondScum, Bada, etc. Heck, JR, PS, and me were communicating beautifully earlier when we were playing on the private server. It was great.

Aww, how nice. Yes, i do use voice comm, even if my voice is rather thug-ugly and probably scares the crap out of anyone listening. It helps teamwork, even if half the team can't understand me and the half that can is writhing in horror.

I'd like to make an open apology to all those that must endure the pain of listening to me. Just remember, it could be worse. I could live with you.

Really though i can only name about 5-10 people that commonly use voice com. Other than the ones that Hoax mentioned, the only one i can think of off hand that uses it all the time is Brujah. DK and Borg both do now, though.

I really think voice com is a wonderful thing, if your voice doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard.

In otherwords, Never use voice comm, Omega SiN.

Stillness of Body, Focus of thought, oneness of spirit. These are the virtues of a concer.

The only man to boycott happiness!
MASTER OF KILAAK

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U HUMANZ IT CULD BE DA FACT OF VOICE ....ok english that I have leaned. Voice com will not work in yoiu sit if it is 56k and you have a slow cpu (it uses a compresion algorithim that is cpu intensive). That will cause your voice come to studder, Besides that it is your 56 k conn. I am sorry to say that.

In burst voice com, even on dial up, all of your entire bandwith will be for the mic and your comp has to deal with the comp on the server runing on an OC3 line atleat. And your voice will stutter and so will your game.

Most DSL users have atleat 768k up and 368k down bandwith. I can ply the game on my dsl full voice com and no lag.
Unforutnaley sir, it is a pure bandwith issue, and it wont get better till you go high speed.

MK
ToRaK

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MALIGNANT OF KILAAK wrote:

Most DSL users have atleat 768k up and 368k down bandwith.

MK

Wouldn't those numbers typically be reversed? Also, I've found the upload bandwidth to be typically between 256 and 512 for ADSL.

ToRaK
MASTER OF KILAAK

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they are backwards...that is what I get for cooking dinner and trying to type on the 3rd mood.

And up 368k down 768. But voice com uses at lot of power or bandwith depending on the connection.

For example if you are on 56k dial up your cpu load is ranked as very high and you bandiwth is low. It is up to the server to decode and post the voice com and there wil be a lag.

If you are DSl you run low cpu processes and the bandwith is a lot higher. The server has a lot less to decompress and there is almost5 no lag.

MK

(and Torak sorry will spec not asyronis dsl but full channel dsl)
ToRaK

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could get SDSL.

Most broadband connection allow for full game and voice. I think game takes around 350 down max, not sure the upload side or the voice side. Guess it depends on the compression/quality.

ToRaK
hoaxie

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for you 56kers... remember that just because your modem is capable of 56k doesn't mean that is what you will connect at. It will almost always be slower than that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: