FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Banning an IP address?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Computer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here's a question, I have a friend that lent his CD to a friend of his so he could play HL single player, well soon that friend found the joys of not only TFC, but the Ville also. So now when friend #1 tries to get on the Ville and the other friend is already there he can't play. This person has been asked very nicely to stop playing here and doesn't seem to listen very well.

The real question here is... is it possible to ban a specific IP address as opposed to there WON ID? Hope you can help.

(this was posted somewhere else but I think I needed to put it here to get a real response to it, neither of the two people involved are me)

Bada Bing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An IP addr can be banned but if the person does not have a static IP address it will not do what you want. I would suggest your friend demand that the other remove his software. If that doesn't happen then his best recoarse would be to buy another copy of Halflife.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ToRaK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either that or attack your friend with a sling blade (Lemme hear it from all you who thought that movie roxored!!!)

ToRaK

Chan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is what you do,
Challege him on a 1 on 1 lan game of mulch and w00p him up and say he is not worthy of TFC if he has to cheat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they are both really good friends of mind, but the one that barrowed the copy can be a little selfish sometimes. It has been demanded but well... anyway. Is there any chance that he would have a single IP address? Anyway my friend that let him borrow the copy just signed on the forums so maybe this thread will attract his attn.

Whybkuul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLING BLADE RULED!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ToRaK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only cases where you'll get a static IP are in a few cable/dsl connections and a dedicated line (T1, etc). I think cable more often gives a static IP whereas DSL does not, but I'm not current on the matter. Dial-Up does not give a static IP.

ToRaK

CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry but the software license doesn't say anything about LENDING CDs. If your friend gave your other friend his CD then I guess friend number 2 just needs to go buy an additional CD and NOT LEND that to anyone.

Said this in a different thread, but, if you GIVE your CD to someone else it isn't really yours anymore.
Bada Bing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoapBox TIME.
You tell Dad. Both Dad and I work for Software companies so can tell where we are coming from. It costs a lot to develope a piece of Software and we have to get something back for that work. So come on please don't violate the copyrite by loaning your CD out or using key generators.(remember a key generator just steals someoneelse key, it doesn't generate a unused #)
If a friend has a bad cd have him contact Sierra for a replacement or just let them buy a new one.
If he wants the game let him BUY IT!
The price for this game had dropped significantly this yearit's cheap.
If everyone steals software there would be any jobs left for the programmers, sales, or support guys because there wouldn't be any $ to pay them.
Soap BOX Placed back on the rack!!!!

Are you threatening me ???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Albino Gibbon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start choking the one friend until the cd pops out of his hand and then let him free again. Cable connections usually do give you the same ip, even if yu are dynamic. I don't have a static setup, but I have had the same ip for 8 months now. Even if I renew, I get the same ip. I would advise the software purchase. You can get the counterstrike cd for about $19.00 now. I kind of agree on the not lending the software out, I mean if you buy a car, can't you lend it to somebody to use? I know it takes a way the software comapnies profits, which sucks. But if I buy a piece of software and I have four machines in my house, I will install it on all four machines. I am talking personal use. I know if you have a business with a hundred machines, it doesn't seem right to say........well I purchased all 100 machines for my business, so I will install my one piece of software on all 100 machines. As we all know, personal things and business things work a bit different. Just ask Sprint or the Sanitation departments. They charge businesses more..........why?............because you are a business and they think you should be able to afford more. Bullcrap stuff. Back to the banning an ip. If it is static, yes we can. If it is dynamic and not a cable connection.....no. We might be able to ban a whole domain, but that would affect innocent people.

CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can load software on as many boxes as you want personally. It is implied that you can only use one at a time per legal copy you own. I have Half-Life installed on 3 of my computers and have a legal copy for all 3 since there are times when we use all 3 at the same time. It works the same for buisnesses as well under most agreements these days. Load up 200 copies of Visio but the lic server regulates no more than 20 at the same time say.

In the case of your friend and his friend, when it is in use the other can't use it. End of story. He can either erase it from his friends disk and get back any copies he has or just go buy his own and maintain the friendship with the selfish friend. I doubt highly we would BAN someones IP just to fix a mistake your friend number 1 made. It is his mistake, he needs to deal with it.
Computer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for all of your help. Yea I told him that he shouldn't have done it, really stupid if you ask me. Although usually when I have a friend I don't expect these kind of hassle's. I understand what your saying about violating software copy right laws, but again, it wasn't me so don't kill the messenger. I could give you the name that he plays with, but I don't guess that really matters seeing as how you said it was there problem now.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: