FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Proof that the Spy is too powerfull
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As most of you know, I almost never play spy. I think the combination of speed, disguises, health, armor and weapons make the spy too powerfull. Well now I have proof.

After playing mostly spy saturday I came away with 3 daily awards. 59 SGs down, 38 gasing and 314 stabbings. This is "me" we are talking about, the person who only plays spy when I go random usually. I mean if I can do that then there is something wrong here, right ??

I would also like to point out that I played other classes as well, since I get tired of a steady diet of any class. I did snipe, engy, medic and demo as well. I really only went for the gas bomb award in keeping with my attempt to get really high frags in the "overlooked" weapons area. The fact that I did so well on my first try surprised me, but then I reminded myself just how overpowered spys are.

Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with scores like that, you may have found another class you do well at. I believe each class has there strong points and there weak points. Figuring those out as well as the person playing helps me considerably. I've been playing this game for a looooong time and every class in there own way will have an advantage in the right hands.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my high set of detpack kills on my real first time at playing demoman, so does that mean that demoman is also overpowerful?

BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with CyCoDaD that spies are too huge... I really really liked Neo when the MGs would shoot at spies... it took away a little of their perfect disguise. Other than the weapon they hold, the spy looks too perfect when disguised... IMNSHO.

Dispensers work great as spy detectors, but only in choke points, on warpath for exampe, you can't choke any of the major hallways with a dispenser, so you're helpless against them.

Oh, and get rid of the stinkin' air strike, let the scout have it, but the spy doesn't need it to take out SGs and MGs, since they're immune to being shot at by them anyway, and they get 4 grenades.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ToRaK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spies are weak against a good team. I remember a game where me and EE where playing as well as a regular engy (don't remember who) and I think collectivly we went about 40:0 against their spies (2 or 3) with the engy losing his gun to the spy maybe once. A good team doesn't really have any problems with spies. But that's just my opinion.

ToRaK

Ktulu

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with BitterBeerFace completetly! On the neo servers with spy detection turned off it is only fair to turn the spys airstrike off too!
And like CycoDad said this class is powerfull enough already, the spy detecting mg's leveled the play ground in my opion.(unless you are like CycoMom and spy detecting mg's don't stop you anyway)
MuLiShA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spy might be easier since you know how to play other classes making it easier for you to hide.
NerUKierFKeal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think pyro is a little too powerful too because they can fly around and the new neo let them have freeze which is just crazy

Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play spy a lot and also play against spys a a lot. And like Torak said, a good team can stop them. Learn to spycheck and it's really not that hard to control them. While the only thing that sticks out and says, "Hey! I'm a spy!" is the default gun, there are other ways to tell if they're a spy in disguise. Cycodad, I think you were either just lucky or have a natural talent for spy. Because if spys are too powerful, then how come a team of 4 of them, 2 HW, 3 soldiers, and a sniper can't even destroy a single sentry gun? Sad as it is, this happened in a game.

So IMHO, spys are just fine, and only powerful if you know how to use them. Same goes for the Hw gods *cough* *cough*
Thom Yorke Obliterator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you need to bring back one of the old Spy-spotting threads, CyCoDaD! Depending on the spotting ability of the opposition, it's either feast or famine for a Spy. Unfortunately, even veterans players will get lax in their Spy-checking. But that's not the Spy's fault.

CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that I'm half joking and half serious. This is more of a running joke between Frag and myself which dates back to a time he grabbed a kit, did fairly well for his first time as med and said: "This medic stuff is pretty easy. I see why you play it so much " Of course he didn't get Daily Awards for Med stuff, but I' sure it's because he didn't really try.

Actually med and spy have similarities, except the spy gets more Stuff. Medic doesn't get a one hit one kill weapon, just the kit that keeps on giving. Unless of course someone types KILL in the console.
Goldom

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyro jet is just insane... i tihnk if anything it should use up pyro ammo instead of armor, so that if they over use it they become useless.
FragFailure

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spycheckers can make a spies life hell, and many will chase down that spy (A no-no in leagues on defense.)

There's about 10 guys on TV that spycheck great. CyCoDad is not one of them he still likes his NEO spychecking teslas. If you guys took 5 minutes to learn how to check a spy..you wouldn't say they are too powerful. The only reason I play spy is because of SG's. Otherwise I'd play medic. I don't make any attempts really to blend in. If you know it's me...great.

- PWG member 2001
- TVB founder and leader 2001-2004
- The Ville's Vegas Bashes I-V
- T.V.L. (Ville TFC League)
- The Originator of the Off-Topic Posts
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ToRaK

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consider myself a decent spy checker. The only reason I go after a spy (which I wouldn't in a match) is because I can't count on my team to kill the spy if I don't. I don't understand whats so hard about spy checking. Shoot everything that moves...if it bleeds shoot it some more. To make sure you hit the target in question it has to either bleed or do mirror damage to you (a real bitch if your sniping). The only exception for this is your spy. This is a non issue in all cases except when your spy disguises as one of your team mates. It doesn't bleed, it doesn't do mirror, and it's doesn't appear to be a spy. Otherwise spy checking isn't really that hard.

ToRaK

BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a good spy checker too, but an engie can't kill them fast enough before they've dropped 2 nades or their airstrike... as a fatty, I almost never have a knife in my back, they just can't get to me, same with soldier... as medic, they're infected if they get to the front... but as an engie, I hate how they are tough enough to take 3 SSG blasts before being killed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: