FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
don't know if u can help me NO one else can it involves DDRA

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OK_Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everyone else hates me in these forums but maybe u can help me

I quit playing counter-stike around 6 months ago. i have the retail version on my computer. I just recently got DSl and i need help with Cs. At some point in the setup my display drivers crashed and i had to reinstall them.

Everything is fine now, I then uninstalled counter-strike, and half-life for that matter. i reinstalled it and when i tried running counter-strike it said that DDRAW.DLL cannot start. So i went to the microsoft website installed DirectX8.1 and it installed on my computer fine. So the next time i tried to start Counter-strike the screen turns black, like it ussually does right before the main CS screen shows up but before it comes up the computer crashes back to the Desktop.

i then tried installing a seperate DDRAW.DLL file and It said i could not replace the one that is currently there so i am lost and have no idea what to do. Do i have to have half-life to play CS-retail because i have no idea what happen to that disk. and if i find it i am seriously going to just download the mod version and have a useless CS-retail version. Can anyone help me.

I have Windows ME
-Pentium 3 intel proccesor
-128 megabytes of ram
-and what ever video card came with a Sony Vaio
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, You'll want to find out what video card you have because that will determine a few things for you. I have a P4 Vaio and Sony has traditionally used the nVidia GeForce line of cards. Once you've determined the card, get the latest driver from the webpage of the card manufacturer. (most likely http://www.nvidia.com) once you have your drivers loaded, you'll want to uninstall CS and HL and start a fresh install. when it comes to choosing the video settings, make sure you go with the default to begin with. Once you're certain what your card can handle switch to OpenGL or Direct3D with a suitable screen size. Hope that helps a bit. Snaggle
thewz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what ddraw.dll is, but if it is associated with direct x, your best bet is to reinstall windows. I had a problem with my direct x and once I reinstalled the os everything worked. No reformatting is necessary, just pop the windows cd into the drive and reinstall. Of course if you do do that, make sure that you back up any important files first. I'm not sure if this would work, but if all else fails, might as well give it a try, although you might wanna wait for someone more knowledgeable to respond first.
OK_Sniper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are the best thanks i'll try it. i had this post up here for 1/2 an hour and it has replies and its been on the Cs website for 4 hours with no reply

Also when Directx installs it asks u to restart. i restart and thats when Counter-strike goes to the black screen. but if i turn off the computer again everything goes back to normal.
Mongoose_Slayer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i had stopped playing TFC for a while, i had missed the upgrade (so most servers i couldnt use) it said that the required dlls are missing, but when i upgraded it worked, so i dont know if CS has had any recent upgrades, or if thats even it...im kind of stupid actually..i better stop my rambling before i break something..
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> F-A-Q All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: