FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Can i make thsie?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
erba_knoff^

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possibble to bind a On/OFF Button...
If... It is possible to do thsie:

Make so exact same time as i shot a shot i duck... and then after like 1 or 2 secs i go up again...

i whant thise fot my snipning...
Cuz when i snipe i always go and then duck before i shot...

Can i bind thise?
how?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those kind of binds are looked down upon here at The Ville.. how about you just keep ducking when you shoot, like everyone else does?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make it duck after you shoot, because if it's before it will screw up your shot. As for the timing, it would be kind of hard. The "wait" command isn't that long.
ToRaK

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you are talking about is a "script". What a script basically does is allow you to hit one key to execute a string of commands, one after another. Some scripts are semi useful and aren't too heavly frowned on. One example I could think of is having a script which disguises you, and tells your team not to shoot at you. However, most skill scripts are frowned upon, be it playing at The Ville or elsewhere. These scripts (rocketjump, conc jumps, snipe ducks) can be acomplished just as well by developing skill.

Additionally, scripts are sEnSiTiVe to latency conditions. Your script will execute differently depending on your in game lag. Further, scripts don't allow for variation and make it difficult to adapt on the fly. I would recommend you stay away from scripts and work on making yourself so you can do what you want.

ToRaK

Paddyjack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't help a sniper because I hate them...lol!

I've got some scripts that help building a sg or disguise without going through all those menus that appear. Usually a good script is something that help you make a redundant action. I used to have a rocket jump script, until I realized it prevented me from doing all different sorts of jumps.

So be careful with those scripts that "help" you performing. They can also limit you from a world of kickass moves...( wow, I feel like a poet today...).

PJ

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Computer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok we had a huge thread on scripts not that long back, entitled "Script Whores". I was showing my friend who just recently started playing about how to bind keys and the conversation ended up on scripting because he wondered if you could bind keys to do things, ie. rocket/conc jump. I explained that it was frowned upon here and he asked

"If everyone is capable of doing it, then why is it cheating? It isn't off limits to anyone and it is a built in function of the game, I dont' understand how that can be cheating? If someone doesnt' take advantage of all the possibilites set in front of them then they are cheating themselves."

Those are a few selections from the conversation. Needless to say I ran out of answers and at the end I was wondering how to explain that they shouldn't be used. No this "my friend" thing isn't an acronym for myself. I was just wondering how you would go about explaining that it's unfair given those questions/comments. I still dont' use them because I think alot of the actions that can be bound are more easily done manually, and can be adapted for lag/situations.

And just a comment on the wait command, you can make aliases that contain several wait commands and name the wait1sec, or wait2sec and use that instead of typing wait over and over again.

(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just tell them that its frowned upon because your not using your own skill and timing, the computer is doing it for you. thus making you perfect in what your trying to accomplish, I mean even the best rocket jumpers miss a jump every now and then.

Computer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best rocket jump is done manually, I agree about that because it can be adjusted and altered per the situation. So then the question comes as, if you can do it better manually anyway, who really cares that I script it untill I learn to do it better?

yes I am playing the devils advocate.

Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because....How can you get better, or why should you bother getting better when you have a script to do it for you?
thewz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you're at it why don't you just get a bot to play for you?
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

. . . frowning. . . . .

I frown upon any script that allows you to do more than one action with one button.

erba, what do you need scripts for? You're a good player without them.

Edit. . .Computer it was titled "Script Freaks".

[ This Message was edited by: Kjeldorian Royal Guard on 2002-03-20 13:32 ]
Computer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-20 13:25, Silent Snaggle wrote:
Because....How can you get better, or why should you bother getting better when you have a script to do it for you?

because scripts aren't perfect and as I've already mentioned it can be done better without them so there is your reason to "bother getting better". And then what if they aren't skills that are bound? ex. SG scripts, spy disguising scripts...

And I've noticed everyone that has responded has failed to answer the question.... If it was implented in the game by the creators, and was made possible to do, then how can someone justify there argument that it's cheating.

Side note. I agree KRG, don't start using scripts the best players on here dont' use them and that should tell you something right there.

Violent Pacifist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people that made the game added scripts because they're losers. They needed help playing the game, because while they made it yes, they stink at actually playing the game. They know all the little secrets but lack any skill. They figured that everybody else was the same since they have a mind for computers and not games and decided to add scripts in so that the game wouldn't "flop" for being too hard. They were surprised that people could actually play the game BY THEMSELVES and were thinking about taking scripts out. Then the programmers saw that their script creations were amazingly popular since people that were lazy and lacked the skill to practice something were using them constantly. Therefore, they continue to allow scripts.

(No, I didn't read this somewhere but to me it doesn't sound like it could be to far off )
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok before this gets too involved. . .

Some here feel that using multitasking scripts are the lowest form of cheating.

Some here feel that using multitasking scripts is the only way they can be competitive.

Some feel that the use of multitasking scripts does not enhance your play enough to be considered a cheat.

Either way you look at it, hardly anyone agrees. I have already voiced my opinion on this issue in the older post.

If you want to know what is acceptable, PM Robert or any other admin about it. They will tell you yes or no without having to hear all of this!

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Paddyjack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2002 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your friend is right in that if scripts are allowed to be done, then it's correct. However some people choose to use scripts to do actions not allowed in the game, like the infamous demo script in the old days before 1.5, and also the proximity det script.

Now, I find very annoying to move through 3 different menus when buiding a sg or disguising...so I have a key bound with "build; menuselect 2" (or something, don`t remember). If some people think this is cheating, well I think they are wrong to think so.
Cheating would be to make a script in which the sg will take 2 seconds to build instead of 4. Or, the sniper dot instantly poweful, without waiting 2-3 seconds.

I missed the earlier thread on that, but now, I'm thinking that I will stop right here about that subject. I guess everything has already been said about it

Rock2..... JUST SAY NO!!!!!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: