FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Avanti for DoD?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thewz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any mappers here that could make a DoD version of avanti? Then we could have avanti running on all the servers!

Of course the map would have to be a bit different, like maybe a bit darker, and put more cover and a trench or something.

Damn just the thought of avanti for DoD makes me excited...

Goldom

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be so happy happy i would say HAPYP1
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd have to bomb out some of the buildings, and make the doors work, like the ones by CP 1 and 2, and maybe add a tower on top of the death room. Then there is a secondary objective, you have to bomb the other team's base. It could be a Ville signature map, any takers? I'd do it, but I need to figure out how to use Worldcraft first.
Secret Agent Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah me too........COOL!

aa, oshiete sensei-san
PyROZen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this would be badass. the only problem is that you have to decompile the .bsp into a .map to work with it. Decompiling creates TONS of invalid brushes and it take forever to fix them all. You could do it but it would be a monumental task.

"Conc Jumping, my old nemesis..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thewz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of having to capture a church, you would have to capture a nazi stronghold. We would need sandbags on the ledges of cp 2 and 3. The buildings around cp3 and 2 would be bombed out, and you could enter them and have a sniper pick off the enemy D. It would be cool if it had the same sort of atmosphere as dod_thunder, dark and stormy.

If I knew how to work worldcraft, I would probably try it, unfortunately, worldcraft is not idiot proof.
bman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be good but WITHOUT it being dark and stormy like that thunder map. i hate that thunder map . that would be cool, someone make it

[ This Message was edited by: bman on 2002-03-09 13:50 ]
[Wolfpack]Deqlyn Moquei

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nooooo. You people are sick!LOL. You want to attack uphill play Overlord. Avanti for DoD would be terrible. No offense and I know you guys are avanti crazy but come on. If u want the Saving Private Ryan map play Ramelle.
[Wolfpack]Deqlyn Moquei
thewz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does avanti have to do with saving private ryan? I think avanti would be a fun cqb map for dod...
Vulcan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avanti for TFC is fun, and I would actually like to see the DOD version, but for some people that may be too much work. I haven't done any mapmaking, but I would think a conversion would take a LOT of effort, I may be wrong, if so I wouldn't mind being corrected. I have just gotten DOD so I haven't played it much, but it seems like a good mod.

PyROZen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are right that converting a map takes alot of work. Also, i don't know if Valve would be to happy if Avanti was converted to another mod. They technically own Avanti, and they might not want it for DOD.

"Conc Jumping, my old nemesis..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thewz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valve can eat me if they want.
NerUKierFKeal

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love to see avanti on dod, it would be so cool but the graphic might be a little different

Ikana

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That actually is a neat idea and somewhat feasible if you guys decided you really wanted to. I mean, other things have been done with avanti like adding the guy in the spawns and stuff, though this would be a much larger undertaking than that.

I've had experience with mapmaking but I prefer the vastly superior Unreal Tournament engine for that stuff. The half life engine needs maps to be compiled and stuff and it takes a very long time and makes editing complicated. If it were a UT map most of the work would just be adding whatever you want to the map and having everyone download it but unfortunately, that's not really possible with the half life engine.

Games are very, very complicated things.

I do think this is possible, though, depending on how many capable mappers there are here. As for making sandbags and such... *shudder* Unless you made your own brushes, even doing that in the UT engine would be a mess of textures and brushes and stuff... Well, not a really bad one, but still unpleasant. Fortunately, though, sandbags are easy brushes to make, unless they are actually .mdl files added to the map, which isn't actually that farfetched, though it does seem rather pointless to bring out the 3d program for something so basic... My guess would be that it's geometry subtracted by the level editor...

Anyway...

Good luck! I don't know if I'd be able to help in such an undertaking, I'm not really a mapper, more of a 3d guy, and if anyone's noticed, my free time has been greatly diminished recently because of baseball, but it is oh so fulfilling to be able to play a sport and have advanced computer skills simultaneously. I suggest that you all try it.
PyROZen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2002 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avanti would be cool as a DOD map, but I think that CanalZone2 would make a much better DOD map. It has multiple cap points and both teams go at the same time, not one attacks, one defends. Of course, the majority of players out there can't stand CZ2 even though it's badass. Perhaps a kind Admin could put CZ2 on one of The Ville servers...

w00t!

[ This Message was edited by: PyROZen on 2002-03-10 10:46 ]
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: