FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Better at sniper in DoD
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sully
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why, but I feel like I'm a better sniper in DoD than TFC. This is not to say that I feel like I'm a GOOD sniper, just better than the other game.
Do you guys feel like it's easier to snipe in DoD, or requires different skills, or sneakiness is more effective or what?
Interested in your thoughts.

Sig courtesy of K.R.G.
JollyRoger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pros of TFC sniping: The sniping scope doesn't wiggle at all, you can move, slowly, and the scope sticks. Plus, they can actually hold thier own in an occasional close quarters fight.

Cons: A single shot often doesn't kill, you can't go prone so you are easier to spot.

Pros of DoD sniping: One shot kills, period. Scope is easier to see, usually. You can go prone and the maps tend to be darker, so spotting you can be very hard.

Cons: The scope moves slightly, since apparently the DoD snipers don't have a steady hand. Also, all but the slightest movement negates your zoom-sighting. Also, if close combat insures, unless you are amazing with the pistol, or good at guessing where you are firing with the sniper rifle, then you will probably end up dead.

All and all, it depends on your style. If you just want to sit and pop people in the chest as the walk by, Yea, DoD sniping is easier. If you want to be more of a 'combat sniper', TFC is probably easier.

Just a brief overview, and, of course, only my opinions. Noone probably agrees with me.

The ladies man,
JollyRoger.
Snaggletooth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer DoD sniping because it's more realistic. It's not a point and click operation. You have to be aware of what is going on around you, and can't camp in one place for too long, unless you're in a really good spot. The scope eventually stops moving for a bit, and you can be insanely accurate with it. And, if you can't get them in one shot, don't take it. Sacrificing your position to get a quick shot off isn't wise. My advice is to not fight the scope, use it to your advantage. And get good with the hand guns. It can surprise the crap out of jokers who think they've got the upper hand with their close range primary weapons.
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a long time to get used to how the sniper rifle works in TFC. It is very awkward to "charge" a sniperrifle. The DoD sniper action is more realistic in some ways except that sway is way out of line. I rarely hit anything standing up unless I get very lucky. Now Unreal Tournament was where I was an awsome sniper. I could even get kills without the scope on there. I'm finding I'm more of a MG kinda guy in most DoD maps. Now if I could just get people to PRESS H when they pass me.

kazebari?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. One shot kills? No way. I have shot sooo many people with the sniper rifle and they just walked through it..

And hey! I'm super-awesome with the pistol! It r0x0rs! Only 3 clips tho.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never warmed up to the sniper in TFC but DOD is great. (not that I am) I think the reason is that all the weapons handle more realisticly and the rifles all fire the same, regardless if one has a scope or not. You have to be fairly firm in your postion to be accurate. John Wayne style just gets you killed. SO if you are careful and use cover the seperation of snipe and rifleman is not all that great. Machine gunner too, you have to be set and under cover and...get the similiarties? Maybe that is why I play Random class at all times. I feel comfortable in any class in DOD. (comfortable not good

In TFC there is a big difference between soldier and snipe. the classes are just to far apart to overlap. Being a jumpup and die type I never liked or wanted to snipe.

[ This Message was edited by: ROOFCUTTER on 2002-02-27 21:30 ]
NerUKierFKeal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i been playing sniper in tfc for a long time and after playing sniper in DOD i found that sniper in tfc is a "lot" easier

(+)ASSASSIN(+)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure which is actually harder but I can tell you that Ive rarely played snipe in TFC, I just dont care for the whole setup, however depending on the map I will play sniper in DOD and love it. there are so many more places to snipe from so if your creative you can really keep the NME on their toes. Another reason I like DOD so much is that I actually hold my own on it as I do sooo much better on it than TFC, on TFC im lucky if I can get a couple kills over .500 where as in DOD I can do it consistenly, and I find its not rare for me to go 2 kills to 1 death, Its alot more fun when you can make a big impact on the game to help out your team. Hopefully some of you have seen this and or been on the receiving end of it

[ This Message was edited by: (+)ASSASSIN(+) on 2002-02-28 12:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: (+)ASSASSIN(+) on 2002-02-28 12:52 ]
PyROZen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do alot better at sniper in DOD than TFC. I hate sniping in TFC because it seems pointless where you shoot someone, espically HWs. Unless your aiming for the head in TFC, you probably won't kill the person in one shot. At least in DOD, 1 shot = 1 kill almost everytime. The only thing i don't like about DOD sniping is the fact that you can't move at all while looking through the scope. This seems a bit unrealistic, since most people are capable of moving while looking through a scope.

"Conc Jumping, my old nemesis..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FingerDemon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is cool sniping in DOD. I suck at sniping in TFC, and I'm probably not much better at DOD. But its more fun I think. The fact that things are slightly more realistic gets you into the game more. It gets you thinking like a sniper would have to think. TFC is too much about waiting for elbows to creep around corners IMHO.

I got off a snap shot at a guy running out of an alley the other day without the scope, and I was thrilled. hehe Poor sucker probably never knew what hit him, or that I was standing up ten virtual yards away, a perfect target.

<TVB>FingerDemon

gindapoo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-28 13:09, PyROZen wrote:
... The only thing i don't like about DOD sniping is the fact that you can't move at all while looking through the scope. This seems a bit unrealistic, since most people are capable of moving while looking through a scope.

Have you ever tried to move rapidly while looking through a scope? I am a relatively avid hunter (relatively avid--oxymoron?) and when you are looking through a scope, your whole perspective is off for movement. If you move slowly and deliberately, it is usually OK. Move fast, and voila', it gets weird. IMO

Try this: hold binoculars to your eyes and try to walk at a normal pace for about 20 feet--most people cannot do it without looking away from the binoculars.

[ This Message was edited by: gindapoo on 2002-02-28 16:38 ]
thewz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-02-28 16:33, gindapoo wrote:

Try this: hold binoculars to your eyes and try to walk at a normal pace for about 20 feet--most people cannot do it without looking away from the binoculars.

Hmm, I tried it and I stubbed my toe against my bed. I will mail you my lawsuit first thing tomorrow morning .
PyROZen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while it is hard to walk while looking through a scope, i didn't mean all out walking. I just meant that in DOD if you are looking out the scope, you can't slide your body 2 feet to the side without turning off the scope or ducking. This sucks because you can't just peek out quickly and shoot. This gives your target valuable time to shoot you.

"Conc Jumping, my old nemesis..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No but if you move real slow you can move around a cornor without losing the scope zoom.
I practised last night and it works.
anthrex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got to say DoD is much easier after playing DoD for one day i had mastered it and was banned from pretty much every server i played on. it got a bit broing so i stopped playing DoD
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: