FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
HPB vs LPB
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyROZen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HPB vs LPB, the eternal stuggle. I routinely play at TV with a ping never below 250. I still manage to do well, even though this is a small handicap. Here's an example:

90ping Vs 270ping
The guy who has a ping of 90 moves roughly 3x as fast as the 270 guy. This doesn't mean he moves faster, the server just acknowladges his movements faster. So the 270 guy could move out of the way of a rocket, but still be hit since by the time he saw it, it already had connected. How many times have you ran around a corner to get away from a sniper dot and still been headshotted?

I AM NOT saying that low ping generates higher skill, its just that the HPBs have it a little bit harder than the LPBs. Keep in mind, I too would be an LPB if they offered broadband near me. This post isn't meant to offend anyone, just to aknowledge the HPBers and the somewhat more difficult game they play. before im finished i just want again say "PING DOES NOT GENERATE SKILL, SKILL COMES FROM THE PLAYER".

"Conc Jumping, my old nemesis..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JollyRoger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, you're wrong. Ping generates skill.

Heck, if i had cable, i could take on every last one of you all at once, with my crowbar.

But i have to stick with my 56k lagginess for a while longer.

The ladies man,
JollyRoger.
Firehellkite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite... I have cable and my ping is probably about equal to yours... my low is like 225 and my highest ever is somewhere over 70,000 yes SEVENTY thoushand!
PyROZen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that ping does affect skill somewhat, but a truly "good" player should do well no matter what connection speed they have. You could put a complete n00b on a cable modem and they would do terrible, then you could put a TFC-stud on a 56k and they would still stomp the competition, maybe just not by as much.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JollyRoger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It caps at 4000 somthing? Or did you mean in something else?

I meant to say powerlink, for one, and two, mine is in the 325-350 range on any given day.

Regardless. The intent of the post, was, yes, if i had a low ping, my crowbar would be feared. A simple whisper of My crowbars name(I call him herbert) would send the mightest fighter running!

And stuff.

The ladies man,
JollyRoger.
sSdD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welll it does to a certain degree... i of course have AOL so i am slow as x-mas...and sumtimes with high ping you don't see everything as fast as everyone else does.. so it can be tough...my lowest ping it 500.. haha try playin with that...the hardest part is tryin to stay connected
PyROZen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a good connection in the hands of a skilled player would definetly benefit. But the player must still have the skills to top the scoreboard. A good connection does not make a good TFC player. Vice-versa, a bad connection does not make a bad TFC palyer either.

Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cable and my ping can range from 30-4095. Pings about 30-200 really don't make a difference. Pings 200-450 start to make a difference but nothing too significant. Anything above that seem to make alot of difference. It's almost impossible to play with a ping >600.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a Indy driver this year using a 1977 top of the line car yet.
If your not at the top of the tech heap you automaticly start back in the pack.
You may still be a good driver but your limits will drag you down. Try suceeding in school now without access to computer generated homework papers and reports.
YourPowersAreWeakOldMan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer generated? You mean the reports you can pay for that people make? I'm making it and I don't use those. If you're talking about doing schoolwork on a computer yeah, I think that's pretty much standard for all reports and such.

When I first started out at TheVille May 2001 I was on 56K. It was ok, I could live with it. A couple months after that I got cable, and it was like my eyes were open. Everything moved at the speed it was intended to. It made a great difference in my level of play. I was good on 56, but even better on cable. That's the thing though, I think everyone should start on 56k, and eventually graduate to HighSpeed. It'll make you a better player if you can play well with the 56k handicap and then get let loose on the High Speed connections. Think of it in terms of ROOFCUTTER's post. When you get good at driving the GoCarts and not so high end racers, you get to strap into one of the superfast powerhouses to race with the big boys.

DreadVile

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played for years as a HPB and never had a prob. In fact it helps now cause I had to guess where someone was going. So, when I am fighing I can see where your going and nail ya. Now that I am a LPB not much has changed only my connection does not go slideshow at odd times. If it makes a Diff I have not seen it, but playing as a HPB for 2 years has maded me a better player.

BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain.
In the last week, I've been VERY happy with my pings... they've been down around 150-250... I used to say that my average ping was "take your ping, add 300, that's mine"... I got killed so many times when I thought I was around the corner, etc etc it was agonizing. My all-time favorite was a game of warpath, 2 times in a row I was a demo, was fighting, got killed, and I thought I had thrown both my MIRVs in the fight, only to toss the 1st one into a full respawn room when I respawned...
High pings might no mean you'll do badly, but man can they be frustrating!

As a general rule, I agree, pings of 0-200, there isn't much difference, 200-450, starts getting annoying, 450+ bouncing 'nades off the door frame and back on yourself... time to disconnect and go be a forum junkie

Ever wonder why I got 200+ posts so darned fast? LOL

[ This Message was edited by: BitterBeerFace on 2002-02-24 17:08 ]
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my opinion. I had a friend that well, kicked major ass as a medic on 56k. He had a ping of around 500-300 kbps. Well, with hl 1.1.0.8, he lost sound he lagged so bad, so he gave up. He could double conc perfectly on 56k. So, it doesn't really matter IMO. If you play on 56k you get used to it, and you time everything the way you have to. If you are always on DSL/Cable, you time everything differently. Doesn't really matter once you get good at the game.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes YPAWOM I mean the stuff you generate NOT others work. that is a different thing altogether.
PyROZen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while yu do get used to playing on a slower connection, it is still harder. my example above about a soli shooting a rocket is good. sometimes you dont even get the chance to dodge rockets, grenades, ect. because by the time you even see it, the server has already reconized you as dead. while this happens to LPB player too, it happens much more frequently as a HPB

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: