FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Alternatives?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[.dM]coffee_cavern[L]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said in the forum last night we have our own servers. Contrary to what people may think we don't accept llamas any more then The Ville. But we do handle them differently. We are not a ban happy group, instead we resort to admin_slapping and admin_bury. We also use admin_llama which is useful for when they start to run off at the mouth. But unless they are being extremely offensive we do not ban. It tends to take a lot to get banned with us. We usually have pretty good groups coming into our servers. But every once in a while we do run into those who just have to go. I think all servers have those. My question here is can't you find a better way to deal with people other then banning them? I don't want this to be perceived as a complaint. Just food for thought.

I took out the drop of a hat comment. I was incorrect in my perception of your banning techniques in so far as that goes. Please ignore it. Thank you.

[ This Message was edited by: [.dM]coffee_cavern[L] on 2002-02-24 01:26 ]
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to popular opinion, We don't ban at the drop of a hat. Some things get immediate ban like racism and cheating. People who continue to break rules also get banned. Since Respawn Camping seems to be an accepted practice on a number of servers we try to explain, we point out that there are rules against it and we ask them to stop.

We use all the things you mentioned, including admin_gag. When there are admins on the servers things can usually be handled. Most times when you bury someone and they get bored and tend to leave after a while. The problem is mostly when admins aren't on.

Considering your limited exposure to the Ville, I can understand how it could appear that way to you, but I can assure you our ban files are nowhere near the maximum. For the people envolved in the most recent incident, it wasn't an isolated occurence. Unfortunately there will be those who say "If we had banned them sooner, this would never have happened". You see you can't please everyone, can you ?
[.dM]coffee_cavern[L]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I am not new to your servers. In fact, both I and my husband have gone to your servers for six months now. And in that time, neither of us have seen the previously stated commands used.
I was just making a suggestion here of possible ways to get around banning. Looking over the forums I keep seeing statements on banning. So I was making suggestions.
JollyRoger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admins arn't always around to use them...

Though i've seen CyCo do it a few times, and one other do it once, can't recall of the back of my hand who it was.

I think the real problem is that the admins have other lives and can't devote all thier time to TFC. If they could i could see how that could work.

Since i don't think they can however, occasional bannings tend to be a decent solution under most occasions...

Anyway i'll stop here. I'm probably wrong anyway.

The ladies man,
JollyRoger.
Chen Kenichi

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admins love using their powers to llamas in game. For an example, check out the legendary titan ban.

http://www.theville.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=197&forum=6

http://www.theville.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=207&forum=6

However when an admin is not in game any regular will ask the offender to stop and tell him the rules. A ban request only occurs after many warnings and failure to comply with the rules. If the offender comes by and begs for forgiveness, the ban may be lifted if the crime isn't too serious. Bans aren't dished out like peppermints. It may seem like we have a lot of banishments only because we get a lot of llamas. The Ville has a popular line of server. And with good comes bad.
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This place is so entirely open to everyone. Everyday it grows. If one thing has been proven it's that this site is run correctly. Have you ever noticed how many new faces you see everyday? There is a reason for that. TheVille has it's growing pains just like anything else in this world. However, it houses "The Best" servers out there in my book.

The only people that ever have a problem here are the people that have been banned by the server anticheat software and the people that break rule number one. No one is ever banned from here for being a nice person. When you are in someone elses house, . . . . .you obey their rules. Doesn't matter who you are. It's common courtesy. I've seen people come here within the last month that are more respected than people who showed up three months ago. Just try to be cool. No matter what. Don't start it and you won't have to finish it.

. . . .note to self. . .take own advice. . .

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is acting llamaish.. ie. Respawn camping/foul mouth. I don't wast my time with them. I USE TO have a tolerenace for such fools. After almost 2 years of admining my patience has worn very very thin. I don't think twice.

The only thing this does is disrupt the game for everyone. The best thing to do is to get rid of these people. The "bad apples" have no place here.

Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are always alternatives. If a Llama does not want to listen to them what do we do? As said above when you come to my house to play you follow my rules. It is to bad that there are lots problems in games where there is no TVB tag in action as happened to me tonight on server 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... well Red, I can see your point. Although personally I think there is a difference between newbies who inadvertantly cause trouble and those who make a habit out of it. By your comment, I take it to mean, you lump them all together in one category. That doesn't seem right to me. If that isn't what you mean then please correct me on it. As I stated in the beginning here. I was just making some suggestions on alternative methods.
[.dM]coffee_cavern[L]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Blue that can be true. But please keep in mind that quite a few of the people playing happen to be kids between the ages of 9-16. Most of them don't pay any attention to what is being said. They are to enthralled with the game itself. My 9 year old is learning to pay more attention to what is being said to him in a game. Now this is only because his father and I have made an issue of it with him. But take the average player out there and they tend to be quite oblivious to everything around them.
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are really 2 more points I could think of making in regards to how we do things here.

1) A ban isn't always permanent. It can be considered a way of getting someones attention sometimes. You make it sound like it's the end of the world.

2) There are hundreds maybe thousands of other servers out there. It isn't like a ban from the ville keeps someone from playing TFC.

OK so I lied, a third point is if my 9 year old was playing TFC, I'd be more concerned about the language etc that he might be exposed to than his maybe getting banned from one of those thousand or so servers. I'm not so sure I'd want him paying attention to what is typed. I know my 7 year old has started reading over my shoulder while I'm on the computer lately. Makes me pay attention to what is typed

[.dM]coffee_cavern[L]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I can certainly understand that one. I used to be very careful of what was said in front of my son. I still am to an extent. The problem here is that he hears the same things at school as he would in one of the servers out there. I can't protect him all the time but I can make sure he understands that what is being said isn't right or nice.That is all a parent can do to help their children. Our children aren't stupid. They know and hear a lot more then they let on. All we can do is guide them as best we can when they try to venture out. For if we hold the reins to tight that is when they start to rebel.
[.dM]coffee_cavern[L]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way CD I never said it was the end of the world or that the banning would be permanent. I have second hand experience with that state of affairs. Again all I was trying to do here is mention some alternatives that I personally haven't seen used. By the way keep an eye on the girls. My son tells me he has 3 girls fighting over him everyday. This is at 9 years old.It boggles my mind but he says 2 have already tried to kiss him and get him to hold their hands. They are growing up to fast and that my friend is some scary business. I would rather see him holding onto a keyboard then flirting with girls right now.

[ This Message was edited by: [.dM]coffee_cavern[L] on 2002-02-24 06:47 ]
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its been touched on already but here are my two bits worth.

Banning a player is the last option I will resort to, verbal warnings are the first option followed by admin_slaps or slays if I am not getting their attention. Of course this only applys when we can catch the person in game, and for the most part the person that is not following our guidelines quickly toes the line once he understands why we do what we do here at the Ville.

Now if a player is a llama while there are no admins around and other people are warning him to not continue with his llama like activities and this falls on deaf ears well then we have very few options. The player usually is reported to the complaint forum, the complaint is reviewed and the player is banned based on that complaint.

Now if this banned player wishes to come to the Ville website and apologize for his actions then we will consider lifting his ban and leave him on probation.

We try to make the Ville a place where people can have fun and enjoy the game without having to worry about llamas distracting them from the game play, and to an extend we do that.

JD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know after reading all of this and seeing alot of the BS that's gone on the last few days I can see why I would NEVER want to be an admin. Secondly why even be remotely tolerant. If someone is going to act like a llama in front of admin, then lord only knows what they will be doing when they aren't around.

Tolerating such behavior to any extent only works to promote it. Acting swiftly and harshly proves the point that "we aren't messing around" and if you break the rules then you'll have to go play somewhere else.

The Ville IMHO is the best server out there, no I havn't been to them all but I have been to lots of them, so I think playing here is a privelage and if you can't act responsibly with it then it should be revoked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: