FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Maj. Richard Winters (U.S. Army Ret.)---MOH
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Major Winters receive the upgrade to the Medal of Honor?
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 12 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't know who he is, so I can't say.
45%
 45%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 22

KAMIKAZE MadMax
Resident Kamikaze Bomber

Location: East Lansing, MI formerly Lubbock, Tx Guild: TVR -V$=

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Maj. Richard Winters (U.S. Army Ret.)---MOH Reply with quote

I have been doing some research and I am realizing how much of an injustice has been done to Maj. Winters by giving him the Distinguished Service Cross. It is a good medal and all, don't get me wrong and I have a lot of respect for anyone who receives the award, but after reviewing the actions by letters, documents and such and now by reviewing the official website of Maj. Winters, I feel I should spread the word that we should all be thankful for him and try to push for his DSC to be upgraded to the Medal of Honor. The website is http://www.MajorDickWinters.com. Go through and read the articles and learn more about this amazing indiviual. Also each of us should contact our respective senators about this issue and I feel if we push enough and keep pushing, eventually he will get the recognition he should receive. Again all of us should have a say and if we all say the same thing, eventually someone will have to listen. KAM...... #Beer .....Here's to you Maj. Winters! #Beer

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a true hero. if he isnt deserving of the medal of honor no one is.
The Nut Stalker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to read about some more heros go here.
http://www.army.mil/cmh/Moh1.htm

ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the breakdown of awards by war and who they were awarded to it looks like up to WW1 they issued proportionally more to people who had survived their particular deeds.

During WW2 the numbers of posthumously awarded metals climb dramatically. I wonder why that is and what the mind set was at the time for issuing metals.
Richter-
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who don't know who he is by mere name recognition, if you watched the HBO series Band of Brothers, he was the central character.

Here's to you Major. SALUTE.

SwEeTLuScIouSGaNjA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya he definitly deserves alot for his service no question. .. Thank you Kmm for starting this thread, its awsome dude.

Heres to you Maj. Winters Applause #Beer

-GaNjA

Kindness in words creates confidence. Kindness in thinking creates profoundness. Kindness in giving creates love
-Lao Tzu-

Last edited by SwEeTLuScIouSGaNjA on Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kixx
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: I agree, but...... Reply with quote

Hello,

I agree he most likely deserves it, I am guessing this is for his actions in Normandy..capturing the German 88 positions?

But there are many men out there that are also deserving of this medal, both alive and dead. This months edition of World War II magazine is a great example, there a two men...who were grossly not picked for this honor...and most definitely deserve it.

1. Llewellyn Chilson- served with the 45th Infantry Division, he spent 511 days in contact with the enemy(not continuous of course), he was awarded 2 Distinguished Service Crosses, 2 Silver Stars, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star, and 2 Purple Hearts. Over the course of his time in combat, he personally Killed, Wounded, and/or Captured over 200 Germans, and knocked out many enemy pillboxes, machinegun nests, 20mm gun emplacements, etc....

2. Harrison Summers- served with the 502nd PIR, 101st AB. Dropped with them on June 6th, 1944 D-Day. Not all of the 101st objectives had been accomplished, including a German barracks complex supposedly holding about 100 German anti-aircraft crews. Staff Sgt. Summers was given the job to go and kill or drive off the german soldiers in the complex with only 15 men..that had been stragglers from misdrops. None of the men that went with him seemed eager to do there duty...so basically...with the help of two other men...one of which was killed....he cleared the entire complex himself. Summers rampage lasted for 5 hours, and by the time it was over he personally killed nearly three dozen Germans and had a hand in the death or imprisonment of dozens more.

My grandfather served in the 2d Infantry Division during WWII as a rifleman in the 9th Infantry Regiment, Company I(Item)'44-'45 from the Battle of Brest, France to the Battle of the Bulge. The Bulge was where he was wounded for the second time and finally evacuated. In fact, he only received ONE award for being wounded.
I remember him saying he witnessed heroics EVERYDAY while he was over there. So I am sure there are alot of men who have been overlooked out there, more than we know about.

Kixxin' Azz in DoD ~
Canadian Rifle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think he should he led the men to victories of impossible measure and in the line of fire...he should get it HERES TO YOU!!!!
#Beer #Beer #Beer #Beer #Beer #Beer

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KAMIKAZE MadMax
Resident Kamikaze Bomber

Location: East Lansing, MI formerly Lubbock, Tx Guild: TVR -V$=

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for looking at this.....but I do not say this because I appreciate it. I say it because it something that needs to be done. There are a lot of vets out there who have been wrongfully over looked by the U.S. government and it is WRONG. We see heroics every day, but yet no one says thank you. Maybe it's time we take a stand and finally at least undo one unjustice that has been done. World War II vets are dying by the hundreds possibly thousands every day, and it won't be too long before the last one says good bye to us. I hope to keep this thread going as long as I can. Write your senators, call people there is a petition going at http:/www.petitiononline.com/Winters/petition.html. Sign it. Maybe just maybe for one old vet who did his part in a terrible great war, we can finally give him the thanks he really deserves.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
v.o.c

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

been English i dont really know much about him but in my opinion any soldier on anyside who puts his life at stake for the good of their country really should be given the respect that bravery deserves. most of us will never be in that position. as for the men who fought during the world wars, alot of these guys were conscripts and didnt forsee a future with guns.

heres an English hero whos from my home town, who was awarded the VC for his bravery our highest medal. http://www.bbc.co.uk/stoke/local_heroes/a_f/baskeyfield.shtml

www.3foottall.com
Ranger<3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it hard to really establish a fealing on this one. Don't get me wrong, i have a brother that serves. As this may come across negative i find that Band of Brothers the Movie has clouded my judgement on this one.

I can not sit there and read the accounts of a few people and say yes of course he deserves it.

I think the biggest honor that he is bestowed with is the numorus freedoms he protected and lives he saved. I don't believe any Medal is more valuable then that.
JtH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, i think many many people deserve the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I mean no offense by this, but i think the only reason why most of you are agreeing he should get it, and possibly why it was even brought up in the first place is because of the Band of Brothers series.

If you hadn't seen that series would you ever in life have a clue who Major Dick Winters was? You might only if you watched the history channel, or were a history major in college. 90% of us would have no clue who he was or what he did.

There are many soldiers fighting and dying right now for our freedoms. Hero's that deserve our utmost respect and honor. But sadly, they dont have a TV series about them, so no thread is made on our forums, and noone is fighting to give them the CMoH.

I don't think Major Winters should receive priority and special notice above any other soldier because he has a TV series that galmourizes and glorafies his actions.

I'm not saying that Major Winters was not a great man and soldier in any way and I'm thankful for what he did. I just think he should not be so hyped up because of a TV series.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this thread has me thinking about medals and who some of these people are.

Here are my Dads Medals from WW2.

American Defense Ribbon

American Theater Ribbon

Asiatic-Pacific Theater Ribbon with 3 stars

Air Medal

Good Conduct Medal

Victory Metal

AirCrew Man 3 stars

As a boy most of the men on the block were from one branch of the military or another. Most were battle veterans. My Uncle was the only one who escaped his tank. My dads Brother was Killed in Europe.

No one really talked about it to much back then. But when the times were right the stories would come out of them.

As I can remember most were humbled and had horrible memories of fallen friends who they missed dearly.

rest in peace Dad... I miss you...
Ricen
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Grandfather was a gunner in the 751st Tank Battalion during WW II.
He turned 21 on Anzio beach head, and had several tanks knocked out from under him as they fought their way north under Gen. Clark. Last year he made an audio tape about some of the things that happened to him during the war. To those of us who know and love him, it's priceless! He turned 83 on March the 4th 2006, still coonhunts at least once a week, can drive anything with wheels, tracks, or skids, and has a very nice girlfriend (our Grandmother passed away about 15 years ago). He is my HERO!!

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Greebo
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandfather was in the Kings Rifle Corps, he never did say how much fighting he got involved with though, not that I asked much, I always feel uncomfortable asking people about such experiences in case it's too painful for them.

He did, however, publish a book which was more or less all his letters he wrote to his mother while in Europe. I still read it at least twice a year. The letters have obviously been dumbed down to pass censures but you can tell places where euphemisms cover up places where combat took place.
I would recommend anyone read it though the chances of you finding a copy are slim to nil - it was done on a university press in scotland, all proceeds went to charity. I think most of the copies made were bought/distributed in one way or another (though I have seen the odd copy pop up on amazon.co.uk through re-sellers...always thought it was illegal to re-sell charity stuff to make a profit but oh well).

Anyway it's called 'Letters from Normandy and Beyond'; ISBN: 0952347903
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: