FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Global Warming...

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are You Taking Part
Definatly
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Thinking About It
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
No Way
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 11

bobins

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: Global Warming... Reply with quote

Oxford University are running a HUGE climate change experiment using the aid of the public... not sure if you've heard about it in the us.. but its been all over the tv here... i konw im interested in how the results will turn out.

this is why im currently participating.

all you do is download a secure climate change model from THIS SITE

the model will run on your computer in the background. and so far as ive been using it it isnt a resorce drain, which is why it takes so long to complete i guess. they obviously dont wnat to hog your computer. your free to run the model and pause it at any time of cause. but me i've just left it running.

each person that participates gets a slightly different model. thus giving results depending on what our actions could be as a united globe..

then the researchers will gather together the similar trends from all the models that the 'people', us.. have ran and will have the most likely results.

hope some of you participate. it's somthing thats going to effect us all. and i for one am interested in the results.

check it out ppl.

bobs.

Last edited by bobins on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bobins siting! Long time no see mate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey hey.. how've you been mate.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds kinda like that thing where you can donate some of your processor usage for some protein thing at some college that requires alot of computing.
bobins

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it kinda is. but you run your own model that your given. you run it when you like your not constrained.. to a deadline.

then your results are uploaded and they collate the results of all the models ran by themselves and the public.

and whalla... we have a global warming model...

i can predict some of it.. myself.. were all screwed if we dont do somthing about it.. lol.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went with the accelerated program...I cut the power to the CPU fan and let the program run.
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobins wrote:
i can predict some of it.. myself.. were all screwed if we dont do somthing about it.. lol.

we've just gotta work on making the membrame for hydrogen fuel cells cheaper and the car pollution problems are solved, then we've gott work on a clean way to get pure hydrogen thats faster then solar pannels or windmills and most of the pollution problems are gone. ofcouse, easier said then done.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global warming is a win win situation.... if we warm up people in Siberia will be able to grow some food....if we go into a freeze people will go to sleep... either way do you expect to live forever???
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROOFCUTTER wrote:
I went with the accelerated program...I cut the power to the CPU fan and let the program run.

rofl, roofy!
Ricen
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't golbal warming start at the end of the last ice age ? Ya know, after global cooling. I belive if we look hard enough we may find a historic pattern here. Think

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
DukeNukem
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides some are now predicting another mini ice age during the next 200 years.

=US-])uke]\[ukem-V=
I STINK, therefore I SPAM!
[doctored Descartes]
Malanthros

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should all ready State of Fear by Michael Crichton. Its mostly science fiction, but in his book the characters quote actual scientific works that were done about Global Warming. Michael even writes down links at the bottom of the page when he mentions a cited article. It's fantastic and will really open up your mind to the real non-threat of global warming.

And thank you whoever mentioned that we started a period of warming after the last period of cooling. Welcome to how the world has been working FOREVER!!

Oh, and if anyones worried about icecaps melting. That one iceshelf in Antartica that keeps melting and everyones so worried about, consists of about .2 percent of the whole place. The rest of it has been steadily growing in ice, not receding. Read the book i suggested, I swear it'll turn things around.

http://www.crichton-official.com/fear/

Thank you Loka for helping me realize my dream of having a Sig.
loka

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well aside from this i dunno how its been in other areas. but it hasn't been winter in boston in the last 2 years. it's been in the 40's-high 30's the entire winter and only 2 snow storms which is not normal. and its getting hotter in the summer so weather is changing here.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: