FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
This Sux!!!

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sSdD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha this really stinks...my comp got a lil sort of virus the other day...i of course use AOL..and it wouldn't let me sign on, it said i had the wrong password, so i put the right password in, and it still didn't let me on...it did this for all of ur screen names...so we called AOL customer service, and they said that somehow, someone had gotten on my younger bros screen name and sent out 124 emails with over 300 attatchments on the emails... and so we had this sort of virus...and now my dad is sayin that i can't play any online games (meanin TFC) so i have to stop playin for a while.. he thinks that someone got into our comp while i was playin...is that possible?? i am tryin to figure that out...i mean idk.. i hope they can't...i usually only play at TV.. so idk...but do u guys know if it is possible for someone to go into my comp while i was playin and like hack in??
Computer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what type of connection do you have?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that isn't possible. The ports used for gaming don't have any privs for doing anything else.

What sounds like happened is your brother opened an email and executed som attachment that ran on your computer and mailed itself out to everyone on his address list. This isn't likely to be a case of someone hacking your brothers AOL scrn name. It is more than likely that your computer (whichever one you brother used) is infected with a virus.
sSdD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use AOL and have about 56K...so are you like positive about that Cyco?? b/c i gotta find some way to show my dad that this isn't they way that we got this problem... it wasn't really a full virus...and my bro hsan't been online on his sn in over a month probably...but idk...i'm just wonderin.. the way we found out that his sn had sent all those out was that the customer service lady told us that this had happened...and that was y we couldn't sign on...so it is not possible for anyone to get any info about my comp while playin?? does anyone know maybe how this happened??
sSdD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just readin what you said Cyco....i have Norton and it is continuously running... and it will usually pick anything up?? is there anyway i can run a different method to check for viruses?? i jst want to be sure i get this comp cleaned up...and i don't think he even has an adress book for email adresses... it just sent it to like random peps i think
Whybkuul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i suppose it IS possible for a server to make you download a virus or trojan horse.. but the possibility that this will happen is slim to none.. someone could also exploit the netbios protocol that most win 98 computers have open, though one would not need to be connected to the game to do this. your father needs to remember that viruses can be downloaded from ANYWHERE. just getting on the net is making yourself avaliable for viruses.. the best way to protect yourself is to get a nice software firewall (i like tiny personal firewall) and a virus scanner. tiny firewally is free, and you can get it from http://www.tinysoftware.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sSdD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i showed him what Cyco said...and he is thinkin now...i'm thinkin that we probably got some email or sumtin that was infected... so i gotta fnd it and get rid of it ...but i doubt i downloaded sumtin off a server..the only server i've played at where i had to download was at the NeoTF server..and i don't think they would do that.. so now i gotta find out where this virus is and kick its a$$
Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your on AOL, surprising it took you this long to get a virus.

Stop by, http://www.dslreports.com/forum/security
they usually do a good job of fixing you up.

[ This Message was edited by: Lin Sivvi Defiant Hero on 2002-02-22 18:08 ]
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to http://www.antivirus.com and have your computer and his scanned for free. Very good program. Just follow the screen promps. You will download virus definations, dont worry just say yes.
CycoDad is correct. That is the most likely scenairo. There are other possiblities but none involving your gameing activitys.
If you don't have a anti-virus product you should get one. Keep it updated too.
CyC0Dad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with virus checkers like Norton(symantec) etc is that they only catch known viruses and only if you keep your files updated. Most of the newest e-mail viruses contain worms that stick themselves in your registry and email large or numerous attachments to akll the addresses in your address book. Since it was your brothers account that was sending the emails it was most likely him that opened an attachment. If he did you can use whatewver info he has about what happened to help find the virus. I can't believe AOL didn't telll you what the email virus was.

By the way AOL blocks the netbios ports so there is no way a game server could gat access that way. Also any files downloaded while playing TFC are executed in a TFC/Half-Life environment. All half-life script related stuff.

You need a few clues as to which email virus it was but http://www.norton.com might have some info for you as well since you run their anti-virus progrem.
sSdD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i gotta update my Norton..but it still does the job...but i'm thinkin about gettin a firewall...so ...if you guys have any other suggestions...then tell me...but i might try some of this stuff...and thanx for all the help guys...and if anyone can... type me some stuff that can say that we didn't get the virus off playin TFC...i need to convince my dad that TFC didn't cause this
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: