FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
For all you Ladies out there
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: For all you Ladies out there Reply with quote

NOTE: THIS IS NOT FOR SOMEONE HERE IN THE UNITED STATES PLEASE USE 911, Roofcutter

Thought this might be something good for you to know.

MUST KNOW *677

I knew about the red light on cars, but not the *677. It was about 1:00 p.m. in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on. *Lauren's parents have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather to wait until they get to a gas station, etc. *

Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called 677 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right away. She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her. The dispatcher checked to see if there were police cars where she and there weren't, and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her.
One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes.

I never knew about the *677 Cell Phone Feature, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a safe&quiet; place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e. put on your hazard lights) or call *677 like Lauren did.

Too bad the cell phone companies don't generally give you this little bit of wonderful information.

*Speaking to a service representative at **Bell** Mobility confirmed that *677 was a direct link to OPP Dispatch. So, now it's your turn to let your friends know about *677.
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh, interesting, didn't know that... I do have the number to the cops here on my cell though, never called em, but I have it just in case...

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this is straight to dispatch though .

Men tell all your wives,GF's,mothers,grangmothers or any other mate you have
WiseOldJames{ATL}
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...i tried to think of something clever and wity...but i got nothin, this is just good info, thanks man !

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Speaker's Xeno

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiseOldJames{ATL} wrote:
...i tried to think of something clever and wity...but i got nothin, this is just good info, thanks man !

you and me both

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bullseye lespaul
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im just goin to metion the 677 part if i told the gf that whole story she would never drive alone again! but it is good info ill pass it on
crackhead_fred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I would never of known that. Thanks for the info Simpleman! I will pass this on right away!
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dial *677 - Rapist Impersonates Police Officer (Ontario)
Netlore Archive: Female college student pulled over in her car by a cop-impersonating would-be rapist is rescued by a real officer after dialing *677 on her cell phone (Ontario, Canada version)

Description: Urban legend
Circulating since: July 2004 (this version)
Analysis: See below

Quote:

Email text contributed by A. Mann, 07/22/04:

Subject: Fw: Good advice and the importance of *677

I knew about the red light on cars, but not the *677.

It was about 1 PM in the afternoon, and Lauren was driving to visit a friend. An UNMARKED police car pulled up behind her and put his lights on. Lauren's parents have 4 children (high school and college age) and have always told them never to pull over for an unmarked car on the side of the road, but rather wait until they get a gas station, etc. Lauren had actually listened to her parents advice, and promptly called *677 on her cell phone to tell the police dispatcher that she would not pull over right away.

She proceeded to tell the dispatcher that there was an unmarked police car with a flashing red light on his rooftop behind her.

The dispatcher checked to see if there were police cars where she was and there weren't, and he told her to keep driving, remain calm and that he had back up already on the way.

Ten minutes later 4 cop cars surrounded her and the unmarked car behind her. One policeman went to her side and the others surrounded the car behind. They pulled the guy from the car and tackled him to the ground. The man was a convicted rapist and wanted for other crimes. I never knew about the *677 Cell Phone Feature, but especially for a woman alone in a car, you should not pull over for an unmarked car. Apparently police have to respect your right to keep going to a "safe" place. You obviously need to make some signals that you acknowledge them (i.e. put on your hazard lights) or call *677 like Lauren did.

Too bad the cell phone companies don't generally give you this little bit of wonderful information.

*Speaking to a service representative at **Bell** Mobility confirmed that *677 was a direct link to OPP Dispatch.

So, now it's your turn to let your friends know about *677.

Send this to every woman you know, it may save a life.

[bold]Comments: What you have just read is an Ontario, Canada variant of an urban legend circulating via email since March 2002. While it's true that the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) can be reached by dialing *677 (numerical equivalent of *OPP) on any phone in the province, the rest of the story (a college student named Lauren narrowly avoids becoming the victim of a rapist impersonating a police officer by calling the real police, etc., etc.) was cut and pasted from the original three-year-old message. The tale has never been substantiated.

That said, there have been cases in Ontario and elsewhere of criminals impersonating police officers, so caution may be warranted for drivers pulled over in isolated areas. "What I suggest is that you pull over as soon as it is safe but keep your doors locked and windows rolled up until you are satisfied the officer has properly identified themselves," said a police sergeant interviewed by YorkRegion.com.

A spokesperson for the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association said Ontario drivers can reach police in an emergency by dialing either *677 or 911.[/bold]

Email This Article

Sources and further reading:

Suspicious? Don't Call *677
YorkRegion.com, 12 August 2004

Cell Phone Users Can Contact OPP via *677
Community Press, 4 August 2004

Dial #77 - Rapist Impersonates Policeman (U.S. Version)
Netlore Archive, 22 April 2002

Last updated: 08/16/04
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm interesting it was sent to my by someone that even called me about it...lol I guess I should have googled it to see whats up. O well sorry everyone.

Hmm is it just for Canucks

The Hope Township Community Policing Committee would like to remind the public that *677 can be used on cell phones to contact the OPP for non emergency calls. This number is easy to remember because it is derived from the letters OPP on the cell phone keypad. It connects the caller to an OPP Communications Centre usually the one that is closest to the caller.
Everyone knows that 9-1-1 should be used for emergencies. However, the public should be reminded that there is a three-tiered response to a call. The call taker will ask whether police, ambulance or fire are required and the caller should have some idea before making the call. This would be applicable to a car accident on a busy highway more than anything else.
Parents with teenage children that are travelling throughout the province can make use of cell phones for emergency plans. Pre-paid phone cards are available that would limit their use. Family plans are available with unlimited calling between phones used by different family members. There are other star numbers that can be obtained from your cell phone service provider.
crackhead_fred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I won't be passing on the information lol
bullseye lespaul
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i passed it on and she said everyone knows that lol! tehee o.p.p ya you know me! wierd it was so much funnier before i wrote it
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roofs general rules on being pulled over.

when officer approaches window....duck down on your seat!

When officer pulls gun and yells for you to exit your vehicle....sit straight up lock all doors and windows

When officer breaks window to open door. Start car and drive off

When officer pursues...weave back and forth and spit at him

When officer shots you....jesus this is a game forum, what did you expect?? good advice!
5th GHG E.G. Mine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROOFCUTTER wrote:
Roofs general rules on being pulled over.

when officer approaches window....duck down on your seat!

When officer pulls gun and yells for you to exit your vehicle....sit straight up lock all doors and windows

When officer breaks window to open door. Start car and drive off

When officer pursues...weave back and forth and spit at him

When officer shots you....jesus this is a game forum, what did you expect?? good advice!
I prefer, "When officer shoots you....respawn!"
WiseOldJames{ATL}
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WiseOldRulesForBeingPulledOver hehe...ok it's more like a procedure.

1.Pull to side of the road and turn the engine off.

2.When he asks for your license make sure he he's the military id, or accidently give him your military id and right as he has enough time to see what it is, say "Oops! sorry, here you go." Hand him your drivers license, if your a smart one you got your picture taken ON DUTY AND IN UNIFORM lol.

3.Engage conversation about the Army and how you've been to Iraq (Note: Your either going later that month or just got out of the feild for a month).

4.Make sure he is aware that you are COMBAT and have an actualy PURPOSE in the Army, and your not some paper pushing wuss or a buger fliper.

5.Accept your verbal or written warning for doing 80 in a 55 and drive off. (NOTE: If you are in a military town, or a town near a military town, this will fail for sure because odds are the last moron they pulled over tried the same line and that's the 10th GI they've pulled over that hour lol).

6. Drive off hooting and hollaring that your invincable and resist to break the law again, wondering if you can be 2-0.

lol thats EXACTLY how it happened when i got pulled over driving to see my wife (i still have the warning he wrote me in my truck). Also....Killeen PD doesn't care because they lock us up CONSTANTLY.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
WiseOldJames{ATL}
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullseye lespaul wrote:
ya i passed it on and she said everyone knows that lol!

I know! my wife already knew it too, I didn't know that at all ! lol

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: