FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Why dont people understand us gamers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malanthros

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Why dont people understand us gamers? Reply with quote

When you talk to non gamers and tell them about how you play Online games and such, they just don't seem to understand the great attraction of it. You tell them about the social interaction, and how you have friends across the net through said games, and they think ur crazy.

Most recently, when Lespaul told me he was leaving ID, I was totally heart broken. I swear I was almost in tears. And as I tell my friends that are not gamers, they all tell me I'm over reacting or that I'm crazy.

Or else I told someone I wanted to go home and play DoD, and they said why i didnt hang out with my friends. They said that I didnt even know the people in game, they werent "real", they werent real friends. And I begged to differ, I consider Innocent one of the best friends I have. And a lot of the rest of you are good friends too that I'd rather talk with then some of my "real friends". Why don't people understand this? Any views? Comments? Questions? Donations? I'll take them all!

Thank you Loka for helping me realize my dream of having a Sig.
s.Squirrel
The Nut Stalker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheer up big guy We’re all one big happy family here.
It’s true you can become very good friends with people you game with.
That was one of the reasons I went to the Vegas bash last year. I wanted to meet some of the people I play DOD with. They were exactly what I expected, Old and hairless.
But beside that they are all very good people and hopefully good friends for life.
Now excuse me I need a tissue.

KopiKat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People innately fear what they dont understand. People believe that anyone who makes friendships over the internet is somehow consorting with the devil and planning either hisown or someone elses destruction. This is of course simply not true.

One of my best friends, whom I met over the internet, i have known for the better part of 6 years now, and we talk often. My grandparents hate it, as do most of the other people I know. This is simply because they don't understand it.

It is very possible to get to know how someone is feeling or what they are even thinking via the internet. It's also easy to get emotionally attatched. Afterall there IS a person behind the screen name, and that person probably thinks and acts alot like you do.

There is no shame in being sad about your friends departing over the internet. A friend is a friend, regardless of what form they take.

However, it is also good to have some friends whom yo ucan see on a dayly basis. This just makes things more interesting when your internet friends arent around.

Overall having friends of any type is usually good, so dont be ashamed, people just don't understand the internet and the relationships that develop over it yet.

-KK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 2 years ago I was really not a gamers at all, but when I discover DOD and then TheVille community I got hook! Long live TheVille!
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said KK.

Sometimes people communicate better in text than in speaking and I am sure that is some of the draw for some to talk more intimately with friends they have met online.

Anyways, I wouldn't trade any of my online friends I met on the ville for anything, and one day I will make it out to a Vegas Bash to meet yall in person... Especially now that I am finally 21

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Caveman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean, I mentioned online gaming and online friends at work once and all I got was strange looks. I'll never be ashamed to call any of you my friends.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an IT guy, I hardly every talk to anyone that isn't. Being a gamer is normal in my kneck of the woods.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nanite wrote:
I'm an IT guy, I hardly every talk to anyone that isn't. Being a gamer is normal in my kneck of the woods.

nerd
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replica wrote:
The Nanite wrote:

nerd

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
bullseye lespaul
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only prob that u get when your "real friends" do understand the gaming thing and they hog your pc untill they finaly drink all your beer and leave! i defanatly dont think a friendship was lost when i left ID i still consider mal inno.... some of my best friends, but more of an oppertunity to make new and more friends as long as theres a ville to play on we will always be able to play together. uh and liberty and justice for all. neeb high football rules!
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never tell me gamers are not friends

http://www.theville.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=30

discussion over
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[HALO]Rebel_Rouser wrote:
Replica wrote:
The Nanite wrote:

nerd

Your point?
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone in the forums has a quote that reads "Don't cry cause it's over, be happy it happened". Life has taught me that todays tragedys may seem like blessings tomorrow. As far as the nongamers, " may the bluebird of happiness --- crap all over their birthday cakes !! "
#2gunfire

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died.
Rather we should thank God that such men lived."
- General George S. Patton, Jr
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nanite wrote:
[HALO]Rebel_Rouser wrote:
Replica wrote:
The Nanite wrote:

nerd

Your point?

ohio state at penn state this saturday.

you are going down nerd!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i love gamers!!! becuz u dont have anything but gaming to worry about with them, with other friends u got to worry about them if they still wanna be friends, they still wanna hang out, r u gonna get with that girl or are u gonna go to the party! its jsut straight gaming and all u talk about is gaming and there are always loving people on The Ville whether on a server or in the forums thats why this is a great gaming community!!!!

YA GO VILLUNS

Also someone told me u can lead a horse to water but u cant make him read a comic... i dunno i heard that somewhere?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: