FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Grr...Arrgh...Etc
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrr....Well, as some of you may have noticed from my many abrupt exits from games, my computer problems are far from fixed. With this, I have a few questions...

Since I am such a glutton for punishment, I was wondering if using my hard reset button upwards of 4 or 5 times a day, will cause any real damage to my computer? Also, I have narrowed my problem down to one of two things, I think my problem is from either Half-Life or OpenGL. You see, I tested my video card by installing and running Deus Ex. I played it for a good 2 hours or so, and it ran great, no freezing, no nothing. The problem is, it ran with Direct 3D, which was default, not OpenGL. Also, I run it and Half-Life at 1024x768. If that matters.

I really wish that I could play more often, but this damn computer, I tell you. Also, for some reason, I think I crash less on TV4 than I do on TV1, and I don't think I have ever crashed on TV4.1.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Secret Agent Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the reset button realy F ups your computer and basically just buy a new one..

hehe jk just tryin to scare you!

aa, oshiete sensei-san
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say that it can trash your computer but it is hard on your stylist. Your stylist is what reads your hard disk. Constantly resetting your computer can cause your stylist to freeze and then you are out shopping for a new HD. Thats exactly what happened to my last HD. winME kept locking up so I reset many many many times. One time the stylist locked up and made a noise unlike any I have ever heard before! You don't ever want to hear that sound. . .trust me. Hope you can get it working again.

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRG, I've heard that sound... the beautiful sound of the R/W heads actually gouging the surface of the disk, right? (and the time I turned the computer on and heard that was when I was going to actually do a HD replacement for someone... last fire-up was going to be when I copied all the important stuff to a server where it'd be safe....)

SSSCcccrRRRRREEEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeCCCCCcchhH

"oh, <expletive>"

*checking warranty status now*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Secret Agent Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

la la la la la la LA lalala LALALALALALALAAL! thanks you thank you! :lol:

[ This Message was edited by: Secret Agent Man on 2002-02-19 00:12 ]
gindapoo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a volunteer at a church here where I live and we had just purchased a new computer for the church office. It was delivered in October 2001 and in early December 2001 I was holding the phone next to the computer case so the tech could hear the wonderful symphony that the HD was producing.

Thank goodness for the warranty.

BTW the OS had locked up prior to the HD failure and the secretary had used the hard reset...
Kjeldorian Royal Guard 42

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the one Bitter! You described it exactly! SSSSSSSCCCCRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

=US-V= Member/Event Coordinator - Retired
<eVa> Founding Father/Leadership/Webmaster - Retired
Ville Admin - Retired
PyROZen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One solution I came across for lock-ups was hitting the computer. While this made me feel better, it did a number on my HD. One day i reset my computer after a hearty punch and heard a loud *SPRONG*. Seems a spring popped loose in my HD from hitting the computer. Oops

"Conc Jumping, my old nemesis..."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
OmegaSiN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaHa!

Your Crazy Pyro!!!!

-Omega SiN
PyROZen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My crazy days are running thin now. Brusied knuckles and a badly dented computer case put an end to the CPU bashing =)

"Conc Jumping, my old nemesis..."
Blown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried running half life in D3D or software mode since you think it may be opengl. I know if I run D3D on mine at high res it will launch the game and just about when you get the MOD mine with automatically shut down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
OSU Snipe Shocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs fine in Software mode, but the graphics are even worse than they already are Plus with the graphics that bad it actually IS harder to snipe. I have tried Direct 3D but the response is so delayed, its nearly impossible to play. I mean, it doesn't freeze with either of the other modes, but its almost not worth it to play with them either.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, the delay your talking about. Is it when you move your mouse and it takes a sec for the game to respond. If thats the case try some different drivers. I had that exact same problem with different versions of drivers and when going to another it would fix it. I do play in opengl but my D3D would do that mouse lag thing. Might be an easier fix than reinstalling your OS.

BTW. I read you other post and didnt see if you installed the opengl fix from HL. Is your card a nvidia or a Ati?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
FingerDemon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blown sounds like he knows what he's talking about in diagnosing your PC, but I just want to throw this in. For what its worth, Valve says that HL is most stable at the 800 x 600 setting. I would try setting it to that and see if it stops the lockups. Also, if you can hit control-alt-delete on most versions of windows you "might" get back a window option to kill the application that is not responding (in this case Half-Life) and not the operating system completely. This will prevent the sort of hard drive problem that KRG is talking about... I think.

Good luck,

FD
thewz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said that you had a delay when you played in d3d, did you mean that it would take almost a second for the game to respond after you moved your mouse?

If that's the case, it is just a problem with the hl engine. I had the exact same problem with my Ati Rage 128 3d card. Go to http://www.tweak3d.net, find half life ( http://www.tweak3d.net/autoexec/halflife/ ), and create a new autoexec.cfg file. To create a new autoexec file that fixes your d3d probs, just find "Direct3D Flip" on the website, and put a check in the box that says "Enable Direct3D flip to correct input problems."

That should fix everything, and for the love of God, make sure you back up your old autoexec.cfg file before you replace.

About the opengl thing, I had a problem with it too. To fix my slow input problems, I tried switching to opengl. It would fix my input problems, but after playing for 2 mins, it would freeze and drop me out of the game. Just do the autoexec thing, and run tfc in d3d mode. That should fix your problems

P.S. I have been playing tfc for more than a year, and I only fixed my input probs about 2-3 months ago. You would have no idea how annoying it is to play a game for more than 10 months, and have to wait for a sec for your comp to respond to your mouse movements.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: