FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Darn Jack Thompson

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Jack Thompson be bitch-slapped back to Bangkok?
Yes
76%
 76%  [ 10 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't Care
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

Krazy Karl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Darn Jack Thompson Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of that lawyer in Miami that is causing all these problems with the video game industry?

He strikes again:

ESRB Adversary and Lawyer Targets Killer 7
Jack Thompson says Capcom's psycho-thriller deserves an Adults Only rating and that if the ESRB won't do it, it should be dismantled.
by Matt Casamassina

August 5, 2005 - Outspoken Florida attorney Jack Thompson, whose legal crusades against violent and sexually explicit videogames and the organization that regulates them has garnered more and more media attention, is back in the public eye. This time Thompson is petitioning the Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) to change its M (Mature) rating to an AO (Adults Only) rating for Capcom's Killer 7, a stylized psycho-thriller for Nintendo GameCube and Sony PlayStation 2.

The ESRB evaluates and assigns videogames ratings based on their content. A game suitable for all ages will likely receive an E for Everyone while titles with stronger themes and violence will probably fall under the M umbrella, which caters to the 17 years-old and up crowd. The AO rating was created to recognize games developed specifically for gamers 18 years-old and up. Games not rated by the ESRB go ignored by major retail chains across the United States, which is why most publishers work with the organization.

Thompson recently sent an e-mail to Patricia Vance, president of the ESRB, explaining his position. He also forwarded the e-mail to media and various government officials, including Senator Hilary Clinton and Senator Joseph Lieberman, both of whom have been outspoken critics against sex and violence in videogames.

Killer 7, released by Capcom on July 7, challenges players to become seven deadly assassins. The game, which was developed out of Japan, features stylized cel-shaded graphics and a story drowned in adult themes, spoken profanity, violence, and sexual situations. The game was rated M by the ESRB for "blood and gore, intense violence, sexual themes and strong language."

In the e-mail, Thompson cites IGN.com's review of Killer 7 and its description of "full-blown sex sequences" as a primary reason why the game should receive an AO rating. Major retailers including Wal-Mart do not sell AO-rated games, which would mean that such a rating might have an adverse impact on sales of Killer 7.

"There is no question in my mind that a videogame containing 'full-blown sex sequences' cannot be rated anything other than 'AO' rather than 'M,'" Thompson writes in the e-mail. "The [IGN.com review] says that this game's 'M' actually means something, and [it] says it twice for emphasis."

Thompson has for years campaigned against the ESRB's rating system, which he believes is ineffective. In fact, he has publicly called for the Entertainment Software Association (ESA), which governs over the ESRB, to upend its president Doug Lowenstein, describing the executive as a "thug" who "...never met a pixelated prostitute he didn't like." These comments came in response to the ESRB's initial M-rating for the notoriously violent and profane action series, Grand Theft Auto. Thompson's side has gained high-up supporters ever since the ESRB failed to catch a hack in Grand Theft Auto: San Andrea dubbed the "Hot Coffee Mod" that unlocks inappropriate sexual content.

Elaborating in his e-mail to Ms. Vance, Thompson writes: "There are those who would say that people such as I are 'prudes' who have no problem with violence but get uptight about sexual content in games. That is a disingenuous charge, and you know why. I have been on national television programs, as early as the week before Columbine, complaining about 13-year-olds being enabled by the ESRB to violent 'M' games. But it is your sister organization, the Entertainment Software Association, that is in court right this second in Illinois trying to prevent the extension of the 'sex' argument to the 'violence' argument. It is your industry, then, that thinks violence is okay for kids but that sex, given state laws already on the books, is not okay.

"Well, the Killer 7 game underscores the fact that your organization and the industry it fronts for appear to try to get away with anything that is harmful to kids, whether already illegal or not. What it also means is that if jurors in a criminal prosecution were asked whether Killer 7 contains 'sexual material harmful to minors' in violation of statutory standards, then, based upon the above enthusiastic review at IGN.com, the answer to that question would probably be 'yes.'

"That answer would put the Entertainment Software Rating Board, in my opinion, in the middle of a criminal conspiracy to distribute sexual material harmful to minors in violation of criminal statutes. This is not a situation in which the ESRB has been blind-sided by hidden or embedded content, Ms. Vance. You all have known that the 'full-blown sex sequences' are patently present in the game, yet you chose to put an 'M' rather than an 'AO' rating on it. Big mistake.

"If I were you, Ms. Vance, I would immediately ask the makers of this game, and all retailers, to pull it from store shelves. If you don't, expect for others to use this latest scandal, which I am hereby officially kicking off, to call for a dismantling of the ESRB. The fox has guarded the chickens long enough. Killer 7 seems to prove it."

Thompson's campaign seems based solely on the description of Killer 7 in the IGN.com review -- a description that is open to interpretation. In fact, Killer 7's so-called "full-blown sex sequences" could appear tame when compared to those in some of today's movies. The sexual scenes in question showcase a fully clothed wheelchair-bound man pleasuring a straddling woman, who is also fully clothed. Although she moans, indicating a sexual orgasm, neither nudity nor intercourse is illustrated in the cut-scene. The same scene in a movie today might warrant only a PG-13 or, worst, R-rating.

Which raises another issue: are videogames and movies being judged by the same standards or is explicit content in software being scrutinized simply for being so drastically different from the days when Pac-Man reigned supreme?

The ESRB argues that its rating system has established laws and guidelines to regulate the sale of suitable software to consumers, and Senator Joseph Lieberman agrees. He has called the ESRB the most comprehensive of any entertainment ratings system.

IGN contacted Capcom Entertainment for further comment, but the company had none.

E-mails to the ESRB were not answered before publish time.

This is for you Jack:
#alien #Fist #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #Fist #Fist #Fist #Fist #Fist #Fist #Fist

I wish this guy would stop being a prick!!!!!
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Karl tell us how you really feel!

The guy is an ass. However I do agree we need better graphics of sexy girls, those cheap boxie ones should be banned!

s
Replica
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fer seroiusly... we need to make teh interweb 18+ too...

and i find it amusing how when people come to buy games ( i work in wal-mart electronics in case you dind't know) people can't jsut say oh its rated e e10+ t m OR ao

they have to say e for everyone or m for mature.... always. its kinda funny.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the rating on games is that big of a deal... Just order the games from the internet or something.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was on the Gamecube. Nuff said...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.vgcats.com/jack.php

the origional comment is based on a vgcats cartoon where he made fun of jack thopmson. thats his real email that is on his site. i cant tell if he really wrote those emails, but he probably did.
Mad-Hammer
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROOFCUTTER wrote:
Come on Karl tell us how you really feel!

The guy is an ass. However I do agree we need better graphics of sexy girls, those cheap boxie ones should be banned!

s

I second that Roof. There should be a law against crappy graphics of sexy girls.......

When The Only Tool You Have Is A Hammer, Everything Else Looks Like A Nail....
Krazy Karl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My honest replay, this guy is a jerk-off who has never seen a naked woman. He was one of those boys who probably couldn't get a gf if he payed for one. This guy should get his ass kicked by us gamers! #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien #alien
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you want to see naked cartoons? Get a GF.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: