FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Is it possible to lag from having high powered graphics?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stetheboro

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to lag from having high powered graphics? Reply with quote

Hi all, this may sound like a stupid question but is it possible that lag can be caused by having a powerful graphics card?
Reason being I tonight have played around 4 games on DOD Theville V my latency NEVER really goes above 50-60 in anygames, yet I was getting clear shots crouching or prone, on people 100% acurate at my end with the german Mauser Karbiner 98k yet it was doing no damage and then they would turn round and kill me, Im not accusing anyone of cheating as I know that wasnt happening.
There were a few layers with pings of around 140 but generally people were kicking around the 90-100 mark
Well I have a ATI Radeon XT850 XT Platinum PCI-e and I obviously play all games on the highest of settings, just wondering can this actually affect the gameplay?

thanks in advance

Stetheboro
The Nut Stalker

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rates!
Its all in the rates. run net_graph 3 to make sure your not getting any choke.
If you are you might need to adjust your rates.

Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should have the opposite effect. The drawing of the graphics is all on your end. Maybe your rates or the enemy's rates are messed up.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
stetheboro

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah well I did the net_graph 3 thing and every so often i get choke 3, but not all the time. Any chance somebody could explain what choke is in simple form, i may have a Gamers PC but to be honest i had extra cash and needed a new PC LOL

I guess i need to stop thinking Im using the flak cannon form UT2004 and aim better LOL

thanks for the help

stetheboro

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmm.....flac cannon in DOD would rock!!!
Anyway, I also suffer from the same issues as you. I've changed my rates many times but doesn't seem to help. i've noticed more choke on theville V server too.
I believe choke is when your machine is receiving too many updates to process so all the updates build up as "choke". you can try lowering your cl_updaterate and see if that works. Playing on a wireless connection doesn't help me either. I really need to run a hard line. Here are my rate settings:
rate 20000
cl_cmdrate 60
clupdaterate 40
exinterp .1
Try messing around with these until things run smooth. Good luck and let us know if you find the solution!

deebo
Mike

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lag has nothing to do with ur graphics card, unless you mean fps rates. I would check your internet setting in steam and make shure its set for your connection. Its also possible that your ISP has probles or more traffic then usual today.
CarbinE

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your vid card settings and then check in game settings, you might have to turn all your settings as high as they can get or vice versa, it kind of sucks running top of the line card on a game made in the late 90s.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Day of Defeat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: