FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
abs / 6 pack
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sSdD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: abs / 6 pack Reply with quote

yeah i'm wanting some good abs now. . . i work out everyday (class at my school) so i've got my upper body in shape now, but now i want some abs. . . anyone got any ideas of some good workouts / can point me in the direction. I mean sure you can do crunches, but those alone wont get everything, so. . . any ideas?
Rebel_Rouser
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be able to get a good 6 pack at any liquor store.
er that six pack

well there are a couple good ways.
1. 60 sit-ups a day
2. lay on your back and lift your head tighten stomach and do the 40 scissor kicks
3. IN an standing up-right position tighten your stomach with your back straight. Bend from one knee to the other, while keeping your stomach really tight
4. Another good way is to get in the sit up positing and curl one leg while you tighten you stomach and crunch your head the opposite direction.

*My new workout video REBEL ABS will be in a store near you*
or just pm me your credit card info and I will send you as copy

Longest Running Show in Broadway History 1/9/06
Jfet Zener
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im working on this right now with my trainer. if you have a gut, doing situps isnt going to get rid of it. you need cardio (running/treadmill, biking/exercise bike, whatever. just get your heart rate up). and have a good diet. that gets rid of fat, but it wont build muscle fast. doing alot of situps is ok, but doing them with weight helps alot. you can use like 15 pound weights (a college text book or 2 is good)...just when crossing your arms across your chest, hold the weight, and the extra resistance is better.

a medicine ball you can do ALOT of workouts that help. im sure your school has one. doing situps on the ball kicks ass. sit on the ball, lean back with the ball at the small of your back (the ball i use is about 2 feet in diameter) and just do crunches. make sure to keep your head up so you are looking at the ceiling. then to work your lower abs, lie flat on the ground, use a smaller ball (about 1 foot diameter) and hold it between your ankles with your feet. put your hands face down under your buttocks, and then lift the ball straight up in the air, and repeat about 20 times. those 2 workouts with the medicine balls helps a whole lot.
Kahlan Amnell
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good tips/ideas.

my way was 2 hrs of practice a day twice a day. first session = 2 mile run, timed. then a 2 mile cross country hike. do some suicide runs, some ball handling drills involving lots of running (soccer practice btw) and end this session with 10-20 sets of 30 situps, not regular situps mind you, but variations.

so yeah, run/work out/ do crunches/situps.

also another thing to try, balance on just your butt, extend your legs and arms and bend both toward you at same time, (think it is called rowing the boat or something) but do all this while balancing on just your butt - this is hard, and works... also "climbing the rope" - same sitting on just your butt, but your legs go like they are on a bike, and hands go hand over hand. hard to describe, and yes, you will look really weird doing it.

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CarbinE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my gym teacher was an outfielder for the Yankees and he was a beast, he benched like 430

heres his million dollar ab workout

1. 50 normal crunches
2. 50 crunches left leg over right
3. 50 crunches right leg over left
4. 50 reverse crunches (bring legs into your chest and put your hands under your back/butt)
5. 50 whole leg extend crunches (extend legs to ceiling and bring to chest hands over butt/back)
6. 50 leg to left side crunches
7. 50 leg to right side crunches
8. 50 normal crunches
9. 50 reverse crunches
10. 50 normal+reverse crunches

Do that every night and you got some massive abs, and try to flex your abs with each repitition

I also added 75 sit ups to the rotation to switch things up, but before you do that i would stretch your back and legs and stuff otherwise you will not be able to walk. and if you need help figuring out what half those things are ill try to explain better or find pictures or something.

Also also you should add running to the bit otherwise its kind of pointless, so at least a mile and a half every night

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't work on my abs as much as I should, but when i go to the gym i do inclined sit-ups with a 45lb weight that i hold onto my chest as well as other various exercises. Brick wall
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a "six pack" right now... Every individual is different, what works for some will not work for others. However, there are some general points that you should consider when attempting to gain a "six pack".

Here’s a routine that I follow:

1) 16 minute run – preferably a daily activity if possible. You should note that some people can barely do a 12 minute run… It really doesn’t matter how long you run for, it’s the quality of your run that counts. Slowly build your time up from your “max” and proceed at a constant speed throughout your run. For example: if you’re max is 10:30 then every week you should ideally try to increase your time by 30 seconds.

2) Crunches, scissors and leg raises as well as any other exercise that you can possibly think of – or see on the internet – that will work your Rectus Abdominis / Oblique muscle groups. I find that all I require are the following:

50 x crunches,
100 x scissors,
50 x leg raises,
25 x crunches,
50 x scissors,
25 x leg raises.

You should note that if you rotate the leg raises in a circular clockwise/counter clockwise direction it works out the left or right side of your Rectus Abdominis muscles. It also really burns.

3) Eat healthy. I cannot stress enough how significant it is for you to eat healthy while you attempt to build a “six pack”. You’re ultimate goal is to slowly – and healthily – burn down the fat that is covering your abs. Apparently, when building a “six pack” you’re really only burning the fat and exposing the muscles underneath. The most that the exercises do are tone the muscles not to build them – odd isn’t it?

One other significant point that I should include is that without cardio work it will take forever for you to form a “six pack”. Cardio work since it uses the glycolysis as well as cellular respiration method of energy production burns more fat than any other type of exercise. Long term cardio work will break down more stored fat in your body into ATP than any other system. It is therefore vital to any physical training at all.

Good luck, and remember to have fun. You might not see changes for a while – it took me about 3 months of so to see the beginnings of change in my abs and even then it was only in the part just under my rib cage – but they will come before you know it. Through attempting this, you not only benefit your stomach but also your psyche and the rest of your body.
Jfet Zener
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive heard nothing but good advice here. one thing i learned is that when doing cardio, its best to do it at 60% max. that means that 100% is where you will not be able to do ANY more after about a minute. a good test of 60% is when you try and speak your ABC's out loud, you cant talk much more after 'G'. do 60% for 20 minutes before doing a normal workout, and you work out all the glycosis (energy stored in muscles before it starts burning fat) and therefore your workout will be burning fat and building muscle. it takes a while to show results. i just measured today, and my stomach went from a 42.5" to a 40.75" in one month. it might not sound like much, but 1.75" in a month is pretty damn good. just keep up with cardio, eat right, and a regular workout schedule and you can be there in a few months.
shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good advice so far.

the thing that sucks about abs, is that you really have to have a small % of body fat to get a "6pack." i've been dieting/working out since january and i've lost about 20lbs, lost 3 inches on my waist, gained 1 on my biceps, and 2 on my chest. still need to lose about 10 lbs to have my abs start showing, and the last 5 or ten is the hardest part. i've started a pretty hardcore diet trying to lose these last couple pounds, less than 1000 calories a day for 5 days, then 2 days of eating about 2000.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got an extremely easy way to get abs

let some people punch you multiple times in the stomach. youll get abs but i cant promise tehy will be a six pack

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Potato-VS-

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More useful information:

You require a BMI of about 15 for men (20 or so for women) or so in order to have a "true" six pack... You can find online BLI calculators that will do the math for you in a couple easy steps. It can give you an aprox. guess as to how close/far you are from achieving your goals. However, I wouldn't fully trust the BMI system, since it's faulty in it's reasoning for the numerical resources for the calculations (height-weight ratio without considering the individual's lean body mass).

If you want a quick way to estimate your fat % to weight ratio then go to a local gym and see if they have any equipement that will enable you to find this - its usually a hand-held electronic machine (can't remember the name) that sends an electrical impulse from one arm to the other. The time it takes to get from one side of your body to the other is aprox. the % of your body weight that's fat. I ran this test a couple of months ago and I got about 4.2% - I weight about 165lbs.
5th GHG E.G. Mine

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several things:

1. Jogging will help with your stamina immensely. Works the whole body and is great for a warm-up.

2. It's referred to "the core" for a reason. Most of the body's other muscle systems have an affect on your abs one way or another. Keeping your abs tight when working out will not only help your abs when you're not focusing specifically on them, but will also help with the muscle system you're currently exercising.

3. Don't just think of what's called the 6-pack. Your obliques need love too. A good exercise for that is basically to find an area where you could lay back past the usual area of a sit-up. Up until the "sit-up zone" your obliques will be doing more of the work.

4. Your body will work better in unison, so don't be afraid to work every muscle. The more consistently your body burns and works, the more it will adjust the needed amount of food. This article might be of some use in that area. Besides, you're already working the abs, why not just continue with the good work?

5. As far as the individual exercise, I can't really help you in that area because everyone's body is different. What may work best for someone else may not work as effectively for you. Mix it up. What hurts most, works most.

This is all based off of my personal experiences of working out. As I've said what may work for me, might not work for you. Just try every exercise for your abs that you know has worked for you, and build off of that knowledge with variations of those exercises.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one word: Liposuction.

-KK

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KopiKat wrote:
one word: Liposuction.

-KK

Wins.
CarbinE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shovelnose wrote:
all good advice so far.

the thing that sucks about abs, is that you really have to have a small % of body fat to get a "6pack." i've been dieting/working out since january and i've lost about 20lbs, lost 3 inches on my waist, gained 1 on my biceps, and 2 on my chest. still need to lose about 10 lbs to have my abs start showing, and the last 5 or ten is the hardest part. i've started a pretty hardcore diet trying to lose these last couple pounds, less than 1000 calories a day for 5 days, then 2 days of eating about 2000.

I disagree with that diet stuff, i am against diets, because your body needs so many nutrients a day also fat, carbs, fiber, and protein. You shouldn't really change your calorie intake, you should keep it steady, based on your metabolism you should eat the same every day but keep increasing your workout. It isn't good for your body to keep switching food intake.

Also if your building muscle you have to remember working out just tears the muscle apart leaving space for muscle growth. So when your eating your meal you have to have tons of protein to keep gaining more muscle.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: