FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
OCing gfx card

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: OCing gfx card Reply with quote

So I'm getting adventurous and am thinking about OCing my newer 6600 GT. All I got so far is RivaTuner 2 anyother pointers or cautions?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dk is the person you want to talk to.
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you smell smoke you do what's called a "quick" shut-down. It involves your hand and the cord flying out of the wall.

Other than that, the rule with overclocking anything is ALWAYS use baby steps. Yeah, you might be able to get a 5% OC or a 12% OC or... who knows. But always go in VERY small increments-preferably the smallest you can with your software-and give at least 2 hours or so at that speed to check for visual artifacts. My $0.02.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
Jfet Zener
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilGenius wrote:
give at least 2 hours or so at that speed to check for visual artifacts. My $0.02.

2 hours at heavy use of video card. some benchmarking program can help you do burn-in for this.

i just dont see any reason to overclock things if you cant afford to break them. yeah you might get 10%, but in the end do you need it? is a 3.8ghz processor THAT much better than a 3.4? is 70 fps THAT much better than 60? i cant afford to burnout pc parts, so i dont even risk it.
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OC a few tips. I have my 6800 GT at or above 6800 Ultra speeds.

Your graphics card should have a temp monitor in the driver control panel for the GPU. This is your best friend. Watch it closely. It should also alert you when you reach a unsafe temp.

Take it in very gradual steps. It took me about a month (on weekends) to get mine as far over clocked as I have it. Do not slam it to see how far it will go. All you will do is piss of the computer, and os and make it immedately turn off.

If you have good cooling (case, psu, cpu, gpu, chipset etc), you temp gain on a well made 6000 series should be minimal. Something people dont think about. When you take a card up to extremes it draw ALOT more wattage from the PSU. You need a stable high wattage powersupply.

If the custom control drivers from you manufacture are good they should also allow that the card goes to non-overclocked mode when doing standard desktop stuff (web browsing etc). It will auto over clock when dealing with intense 3D rendering.

Patience is the key word.
Albino Gibbon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run it at stock speeds for a while first. Stress it out. They tend to overclock better, when burned-in a little. Be careful or you will have a $200.00 paperweight. To me, overclocking the cpu/fsb will gain you more. Alot of games are cpu limited at certain resolutions.
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I'll take it slow and put an external fan on it hehe.

How would I go about overclocking my cpu?

And they say not to have it load your settings at windows startup, so how do you get the OCed settings to take effect? or does it happen when you start a game?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on your mobo and cpu. My cpu is a locked Barton, which I could unlock if needed, but I set my fsb up from 166 to 200. Make sure your memory can handle it, if you choose to up the fsb. You can also change your multiplier to a higher setting, if you can or want to go that route. My motherboard has a locked AGP port, which is nice. Even if I up my fsb, the AGP bus always stays 66mhz, so it is stable as can be. All these changes are made in your bios. Some motherboards don't let you change these, so I am not familiar with if your board can do it or not. Extra cooling and a nice P.S. would help you out if you plan on doing this.
rANCOR hUNTER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I found out that my drivers have this automatic optimal settings button for overclocking so it pretty much set itself. But the cool thing is that it's gone from an eVGA 6600 GT with core at 500 MHz and memory at 900 MHz to a one with a 570 MHz core and 1043 MHz memory.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: