FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Excel MP3 Playlist

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Easy Target

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Excel MP3 Playlist Reply with quote

I need your advice or ideal. I want to be able to have all my MP3, over 9000 of them (and none is from the internet, all CDs) on Excel, at least the name of the artist, the album and the name of the song.

I know Microsoft has something to do it, except that not only it can't handle more than 4000 MP3 and it doesn't seem to work (can't figure it why?).

Any advice or software that can do that because there's no way that I type all that stuff, I have enough with all my DVD! Thanks for your help! Applause
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't exactly for making a spreadsheet, but it's great for having a library-like listing of your MP3s.

http://id3-tagit.de/english/index.htm

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
Jfet Zener
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well do you want to pull the ID3 tags off the file? if all your files are like ARTIST - TITLE.mp3 or at least similar format, you dont need any programs

just go to dos prompt, type "dir *.mp3 > files.txt" (or if you have them im multiple directories type "dir /s *.mp3 > files.txt" in the root folder)

open this file in excel (all the files will be in column A). delete all non files (miscellaneous stuff that dir prints out).

in B1 put "=LEFT(A1,SEARCH(" - ",A1)-1)" that gets the artist based on ARTIST - TITLE.mp3
in C1 put "=LEFT(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH(" - ",A1)-2),LEN(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-SEARCH(" - ",A1)-2))-4)" that gets the song based on ARTIST - TITLE.mp3

select B1-C1 and then drag the little handle on the bottom right down down down until you reach the bottom of your mp3s. it should work right. if you have problems, arent in the ARTIST - TITLE.mp3 format or just anything else, feel free to email me your files.txt you got in step one
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all my cd's in directory structure by CD Artist - CD Title. I used a macro in excel to gather the direcotry structure, and then used formulas like Jfet talks about to split up the information and give me the artist, cd title, and song all in different cells. I dont have 9000, but it was over 5000 and probably close to 6000.

If you want, I can find it and send it to you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jfet Zener wrote:
just go to dos prompt, type "dir *.mp3 > files.txt" (or if you have them im multiple directories type "dir /s *.mp3 > files.txt" in the root folder)

What's the command to choose a specific root, I don't remember it.
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy Target wrote:
Jfet Zener wrote:

What's the command to choose a specific root, I don't remember it.

just change directory to wherever your mp3s are. if they are in c:\mp3s, type "cd \mp3s"
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would suggest putting it on acess so you can have more filtering options and stuff.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: