FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
bulding a server

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: bulding a server Reply with quote

Alright, I have been thinking about making my own server, not just renting one. I want to build and then have it colocated. However this creates a problem. I need to find a case and a power supply. The can only take up on rack unit in space (1U) and the case should also be able to use an ATX style motherboard. I need it as cheap as possible too. does anyone know any good sites I can find one? I already tried newegg.

Also, my motherboard does not have video, and I will not be able to fit a card in there. Would I be able to install the OS and then transfer the parts to the server case and remove the vidcard, or will it not run at all with out a vid card?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shockwave
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: bulding a server Reply with quote

Black Hawk wrote:
Alright, I have been thinking about making my own server, not just renting one. I want to build and then have it colocated. However this creates a problem. I need to find a case and a power supply. The can only take up on rack unit in space (1U) and the case should also be able to use an ATX style motherboard. I need it as cheap as possible too. does anyone know any good sites I can find one? I already tried newegg.

Also, my motherboard does not have video, and I will not be able to fit a card in there. Would I be able to install the OS and then transfer the parts to the server case and remove the vidcard, or will it not run at all with out a vid card?

I do know that you can run a server remotely, but if you run into any problems with booting, then you have to have a local monitor to fix those problems., either that or guess and check with someone at the server itself.

Jfet has been remotely running a server 1200+ miles away, and the monitor there doesn't matter, only his local monitor.

Second, how do you plan on hosting it?? Do you plan on a local T1 or partial T1, or better yet, a full T3?
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to do a Colocation with a host company, I am still looking at companies
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.tigerdirect.com has a bunch of low cost servers
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simpleman wrote:

And for a small fee, they'll throw your money in a hole for you.

(I don't trust TigerDirect at all.)

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
Simpleman
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilGenius wrote:
Simpleman wrote:

And for a small fee, they'll throw your money in a hole for you.

(I don't trust TigerDirect at all.)

I have never had a issue with them and I have built 3 computers and bought one that was already built. They all are running nice and smooth with no problems. All my parts have showed up on time and with no damage or bad equipment which I have gotten several items at local stores ( AKA Best buy, Local computer stores and a dead laptop from Dell )

Alot of there pre-built systems come from the manufacture not Tigerdirect them selves.

I bought one of there Vision Systems for Jr. and for the price I was amazed on what he got. It's a very nice system and well built as well.
Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got substandard parts from them when I built a computer 2 systems ago (back when axps were just coming out). My cpu would NOT run at the listed speed, and my ram died after a little more than a year. I do not trust tiger direct at all.
BitterBeerFace

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are devices that will allow you to have basically remote KVM functionality. For enough money, I'm sure you can get that built into a server.......

No PC that I know of will boot without some form of video output. Almost any server should be available with video built into the Mobo... I'd be more worried about just finding a way to remotely manage it with enough functionality. Sorry, but I don't have a solution for that in mind.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Crankenstein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could just throw a crappy video card in it and if you ever need to work on it at the location it's going to be running at, just hook up a monitor, keyboard, and mouse to it and use it that way. Otherwise, you can just use a program like Remote Admin or the like and control it remotely. You don't need keyboard, monitor, or mouse hooked to it, and you would just set it in BIOS to not stop on keyboard error if you ever need to reboot it.

That's the way I did it with my old TFC servers I used to run.

Target practice for TFC, DoD, and CS players since 1999.
Jfet Zener
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive never used a monitor connected to any of the servers i use once the install is complete (both on linux and win2k). windows server has built in terminal services client which you can connect to with RDC (remote desktop client) as its called in XP and linux has SSH (and X windows over ssh too if you set it up right).

you will need to have a video card installed, but doesnt need to be used.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: