FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
New LapTop

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:46 am    Post subject: New LapTop Reply with quote

So I says to myself Imma gonna spoil myself and spend (a lot) more, and got an alienware laptop...... Here are the spec,s tell me what ya think.

If I don't like it I have 90 days to return it, which is nice.

Area-51m 7700

Warranty: 1-Year AlienCare Toll-Free 24/7 Phone Support with Onsite Service
Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
AlienRespawn: Alienware® Respawn Recovery Kit
Case: Area-51m 7700 Case with 17" WideXGA+ 1400 x 900 LCD Display - Xeno Grey
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 550 w/ HT Technology 3.4GHz 1MB Cache
Motherboard: Intel® 915P Chipset Supporting PCI-Express
Memory: 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SO-DIMM at 533MHz - 2 x 512MB
Video Card: Area-51m 7700 ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON X800 with 256MB of DDR 3 memory
Sound Card: Intel® High-Definition Audio (24-bit, 192Khz) with 7.1 surround sound
Hard Drive: Single Drive Configuration - 40GB 5400 RPM ATA100
Optical Drive One: 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software
Floppy Drive: USB Floppy Drive
Ethernet NIC: Integrated 10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet NIC
Wireless Network: External Wireless 802.11a/b/g PCMCIA Card
Modem: 56K Modem with V.92 Technology
Optional Display: No Monitor
Games: Call of Duty: United Offensive
Free Alienware T-Shirt: Free Alienware® T-Shirt - Black
Desktop Enhancements: Exclusive AlienGUIse Theme Manager
Free Alienware Mousepad: Free Alienware® Mousepad
Automated Support: AlienAutopsy: Automated Technical Support Request System
Queen of Spam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds yummy, want to trade?

http://ctprofiles.net/799963
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battery life of several minutes?
Mike

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brother was also looking around for high preformance laptops for when he goes to college. he showed me this site that gets the same parts that alienware does from the same supplier for less money, ill ask him later for the site so if you want u can return that one and get the same one for less.

Edit: im pretty shure this is the site

http://www.savrow.com/nsite/laptops.html
nvm its not

Edit2: nvm this is the site

http://www.sagernotebook.com/index.html

its $2, 120 from sager for the same computer except for some reason they dont have 3.4 ghz so i put in 3.2 instead.

Edit3: k he said this one was the best site
http://www.hypersonic-pc.com/2001/systems-mobile.htm

the same comp cept with a 60gb HD and a higher res version of the same screen (which u cab get an even higher version) for $2,912 u can also get the 64bit p4 3.4 ghz for like 160 more $

Last edited by Mike on Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Nanite
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay Pigeon wrote:
Battery life of several minutes?

I can play DOD on my Alienware for about 30 minutes without the power connected. I like it though and would never buy a laptop from anyone else. The only thing I see is your hard drive RPM.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would upgrade the warranty, and get damage protection/insurance if they offer it. Laptops hold their value WAY more than desktops do, because it's very difficult/impossible for the user to replace the keyboard, screen, case, power management, motherboard.... about the only things you have access to are the RAM, hard drive, and optical drive. (On some systems you might be able to replace the video card and CPU, but those have very low failure rates anyways.)

So, yeah, I'd buy the best warranty they have. It's only as expensive as the screen OR the case OR your video card and imagine if something goes wrong with the power management... the whole laptop is dead then.

My $0.02.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EvilGenius wrote:
I would upgrade the warranty, and get damage protection/insurance if they offer it. Laptops hold their value WAY more than desktops do, because it's very difficult/impossible for the user to replace the keyboard, screen, case, power management, motherboard.... about the only things you have access to are the RAM, hard drive, and optical drive. (On some systems you might be able to replace the video card and CPU, but those have very low failure rates anyways.)

So, yeah, I'd buy the best warranty they have. It's only as expensive as the screen OR the case OR your video card and imagine if something goes wrong with the power management... the whole laptop is dead then.

My $0.02.

That's the only problem with laptops...

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MunkeyEye
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheh! I have the exact same config as yours except I'm running the XP Pro version! I already dinged my screen (fortunately it's at the edge) when I flicked my hand and my wedding band flew off and hit it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
leov7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the extended warranty for 2 or 3 years more because laptops usually get problem after the first year you buy. I suggest you get the repair service too. I spilt pop all over my keyboard once (the warranty doesnt cover that) and i had to pay $250 for the repair. With the same amount of money, you can have the service for 2 - 3 years.

I bought my laptop bout a year ago. It's Toshiba Satellite, right now it has problem with the harddrive and need to be replaced. Gotta get it fixed soon so that I can get back to the game :hb:
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: