FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hot Computer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject: Hot Computer Reply with quote

Sometimes while playing DoD, my computer seems to get really hot. Today, for example, I heard the fans running really loud and started to smell something burning. Now that I think about it, it smelled like solder. I knew that probably was a bad thing, so I minimized and checked the processor temperature and I think it was up around 55°C (130°F).

Elitegroup 848P-A Motherboard (I think)
300W Power Supply (I think)
Intel P4 3.0GHz HT
ATI Radion 9800 Pro
2 Hard Drives
2 CD-RW Drives
Big case that is made for 2 PCs
4 Fans (1 processor, 1 case, 1 power supply, and 1 video card)

This may be a dumb question, but is it normal for a computer to smoke playing DoD. I'm thinking maybe the PS is too small?

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that psu is a bit small, but i dont think that would make it over heat would it?. try opening the door of the room ur in if its a closed area and maby open the side of the case and see if it gets any cooler. it gets over 100 F in my room if i leave the door closed for like 30 mins with my comp on.
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

71° in here...

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my processor runs about 170 degrees even with 2 case fans.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest thing that can cause this is a cpu heatsink not set right. THe AMDs and P4s come this a black coating. This is set to melt at a certain temp and then fuse with the heat sink. It does not work to well. BEst is to use something like GoofOff and remove that compound and use artic silver 5. But with your issues make sure your cpu fan is set right (take off case and remove and re set it).

Edit:

You know when you have the spu fan set right on the cpu, not locked in, but when you have it there and move it around that it feels like a sucktion force when you try to pull it off.

Double Edit:

IF your MB has a temp monitor program look at it. It will show you where the heat issue is.

3rd edit lol:
Add more fans. I run a lantec lanboy case. 2 case, 2 ps, 1 3lb gigabyle cpufan, 1 865 chipset fan, 1 gpu fan.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possible problem is the processor itself.

P4s, especially 3GHz +, get extremely hot, and their heat sinks are not always the best. A possible switch to an AMD CPU (and Motherboard) will probably reduce this problem, if you're willing to spend some money.

-KK

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let it go KK, it is getting a bit old now

Lack of power will cause heat issues. A 300w PS is a bit small for what you have and can cause excess heat. More fans could also help as more fans obviously means more air moving thru the tower.

I have close to the same specs as Stevo except I have a 480w Antec PS. I run a consistent 42c when under high demand. On very rare occasions it may climb to 45c but that is usually when my comp room is warmer than normal.

I have never had any issues with any of my Pentium Processors but have had heat issues with an AMD that I had, only one I ever had BTW.

God Bless You Blue Ruler

Last edited by Bright Red Nipples on Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Stevo
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll look into the heatsink problem and maybe get a new power supply. What I'm most worried about is the smell.

The Official TVR Website

Fopp
Song of the Week
EvilGenius
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, make sure all your fans (especially case & Pow. Sup.) are blowing the right way. Most people prefer to have their case fans blowing cool air in the front and warm air out the back. The standard configuration with 2 case fans would be an intake at the front and an exhaust at the rear. If you want to use only one case fan (and you're pretty sure your heat isssue is your proc) then you might briefly try using the rear fan to intake cool air directly to the processor fan. However you may experience more heat at your graphics card and hard drives with this set-up.

Make sure your power supply fan is exhausting air out the rear. If you have a fan on the bottom of the PS it should be taking air in from the case. If you have a fan on the front of the PS you're using a cheap P(O)S and definately need to upgrade. Studies show that fans in that position increase the heat at processor by disrupting the standard airflow pattern.

John Doe wrote:
Normally I lock spam threads...but this one is still one page....I may check on it later......

You have to be a supporter to get it.
KopiKat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol just posting possible solutions BRN, nobody has to follow them

-KK

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cpu runs at 105 degrees tops. i have two fans, one cpu fan, and fan on my graphics card and a psu fan. the graphics card fan, cpu fan and psu fan are all on all the time. the other 2 are only on when the temp rises above 105.

edit** i might also mention that i have an amd 3200+
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and I fixed it like this! of course I upgraded to a 950 watt power supply! and put it in the next room as sound proofing :p

Clay Pigeon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its smoking you should shut it off right away! You are most likely damaging components!
Blown

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats alright, my AMD 3200 only runs 125-130deg under load.

170 degrees sounds scary...lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
shovelnose
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my case sucks at dissapating heat. freakin steel and weighs about 20 lbs.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: