FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Motherboards

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Motherboards Reply with quote

Which Mobo's do you guys perfer. I read the thread of Northwood vs. Prescott, and I will have to say I was going for the Prescott until then.

I have decided on the northwood, and would like to know what mobo to put it in. A brand name is good for me, but if you think a specific board is the bomb, then let me know. It has been to long since I built my own machine.

Thanks.
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal pref is Asus. I've also used Abit, but had one belly-up on me.

Currently using A7N8X-E Deluxe, and currently considering AMD 64bit board..
and WalMart Security

"Get-r-Done"
squidly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the GA-7N400-L from gigabyte!!!

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Products/Products_GA-7N400-L.htm

Work very well with AMD Athlon XP, very stable!!! Not the best motherboard, beginning to be a little bit outdated for new comp!!! (no pci-express slot). but it come with an integrated sound card and ethernet LAN Network Connection!!!

It is doing the job, will consider again Gigabyte for my next motherboard!!!

Good shopping!!!
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go pci-e and from what ive heard, asus and Abit are good. ive also heard that socket 939 is best. i would also go with amd, as they are currently beating intel in benchmarks.
Hamese
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
go pci-e and from what ive heard, asus and Abit are good. ive also heard that socket 939 is best. i would also go with amd, as they are currently beating intel in benchmarks.

I am not an AMD guy. I thought I would try one, but then I had to work on one for a friend of mine. It was an Asus board too, and I had nothing but trouble with it and the onboard SATA drive controller. It just sent me back to the intel side.

I was wondering about the Abit boards, so I am glad you made mention of it. I would go with PCI-E but I already have an AGP video card I bought about 3 months ago.

I hope to order something by today, so I can start putting it together by the weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i can forgive you for not being an AMD guy (even though their processors are better and cheaper), but my personal favorite MB for gaming is made by a company called "BIOSTAR", excellent mother board, definately look em up

-KK

P.S. AMD > Intel
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Gigabyte board as well and like all the options that they come with. I am running a P4 3.2 Presscott. They seem to be very stable plus I like the dual bios and dual power options that they provide along with many options of several different HD setups and styles.

This is simular to mine. I got the deluxe version that was a special edition.

http://www.gigabyte.com/controller?action=Navigate&product=4189&path=Gigabyte+Store___Computer%3Cbr%3EParts___Motherboards
Bright Red Nipples

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an ASUS and love it. It would be a good choice if you decide to go that route.

God Bless You Blue Ruler
DJ George
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a Asus P4P800 SE with a Intel P4 3.0ghz Prescott and I love it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DaKon
Ville Supporter
Ville Supporter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Hawk wrote:
I am using a Asus P4P800 SE with a Intel P4 3.0ghz Prescott and I love it

If you would remember to install the heat sink on the cpu correctly so it does not shut off do to temp issues
Pr0phecy_X

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what type of motherboard to me, just aslong as it runs good and they all do, but never, and I repeat, Never! buy a motherboard that uses VIA chipsets. They are the stupidist, most disgusting vile peices of crap ever created by man kind!
cobra
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

motherboards i prefer in no particular order:

intel
asus
abit
gigabyte
Crankenstein

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pr0phecy_X wrote:
It doesn't matter what type of motherboard to me, just aslong as it runs good and they all do, but never, and I repeat, Never! buy a motherboard that uses VIA chipsets. They are the stupidist, most disgusting vile peices of crap ever created by man kind!

OK, I will actually speak up for VIA here amazingly, as only 1 VIA based board I have even built has given me problems. Otherwise, they work quite well for stability. Perhaps they aren't the fastest when put up against nVidia, but I've run the KT133, KT333, KT400, KM400, and KT600 series chipsets on Athlon TBirds, XPs, and Semprons with no stability problems at all. In fact I've had more issues with nVidia nForce boards than VIA. Don't know why, unless it's my bad karma.

As far as brands, I've had good luck with Asus, Abit, Gigabyte, MSI, and Chaintech. Stay away from ECS and Amptron.

Target practice for TFC, DoD, and CS players since 1999.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> Tech Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: