FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
1108 Patch is out on Wednesday!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2001 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, its official. The patch comes out this Wednesday at 11:00 AM PST.

Get it when you can.

If your planning on testing the voice stuff let me know and we shall see how it sounds.

JD
[BFD]i Johnny Verga! TM

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2001 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been using Gheyvoice, er, MSN Gamevoice for sometime...happy with it, but some nights the lag time is unbearable--kicks Roger Wilco's ass...we will be testing this one though. Can't way to scream at you bitches in person.

--Vergs

http://www.bfd-tfc.com
Dgenr8

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2001 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im assuming, since I haven't read the requirements, that DSL or Cable (high bandwidth pipes) will be needed for these addional features.

Seems like us 56kers are always getting screwed over...

-DG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Demented Avenger

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoopie! No more BHing.

yella

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we set some some early rules re: voice comms?

Would everyone outside the UK please drop their accents & sound out every vowel phonetically. Us Brits meanwhile will simply speak the Queen's English (God bless 'er).

Cheers
Yella
cstone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, the voice patch will work fine with 56k modems. At least that's what Valve said at one point.
ROOFCUTTER
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accent what accent I'm from southern California. We don't have an accent. Hey Bakayru I need back up here. We sound like every hollywood movie you ever seen. I'm not talking about those special girls from the valley. LOL

John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rumor has it that Roofcutter actually sounds just like Michael Jackson when speaking, I think his voice will distract us from serious playing more than helping.

Picture if you will a serious battle for CP3, Roof and others are doing a great job on defense, but the other team is pressing hard. Roof is killed by a grenade someone tossed towards him and his SG is down to 12%. Sensing his SG's imminent death Roofcutter keys his mike and says "Tito, save my SG!!!!" Then you hear in a voice in the background as Roof forgets to unkey his mike "Bad Bubbles, dont touch that while I am playing TFC. Jerome, come and take bubbles out of here would you?"

Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bad feelings about this patch. Not about the voice or spectator proxy, but overall quality. In the email that Valve sent out, they said there were major protocol changes. If anyone remembers the patch that changed the netcode, you know what I'm talking about.

Valve hasn't had a great reputation for Quality Control in the past. I just hope all of the bugs are gone BEFORE they release the patch. Last time there was a "Gordon Freeman" outbreak, along with alot of other MAJOR problems. I hope it's just not repeated.

We will be hosting the client side patches but not the server patches. Patch traffic should be cut way down since we aren't an official mirror this time.

Anyway.. I just hope things go over smoothly.. I hope to get the client patches early. I will post them as soon as I get them uploaded.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as anyone who writes code will attest, any code has to be debugged, usually well beyond beta. Maybe they should make the player models looks like guinea pigs!

ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have strong reservation about the new voice com, not so much about you guys, but all the thousands of immature people out there. The last thing I need in my life is a bunch of foul mouthed kids screaming obcenities into my ears as I play.

I also think its going to have an impact on 56k ping times (I am one). You send extra data down a line, I don't care what they say, it has to have an impact on bandwith, its not like triggering a .wav file stored on your computer....

As I played last night, there was alot of bad language flying back and forth between players over stupid things..... I hope this trend doesn't continue over the new voice com....

The voice com will be excellent for clan wars, but for general day to day play.. no way is this going to be a good thing.

I know alot of you may view this different, but that's my opinion of the new patch.

Ap.

[ This Message was edited by: Apache_Eyes on 2001-09-18 11:16 ]
Robert E. Lee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing about it is that you have the ability to mute whoever you want. If someone is being a dumbass, just hit tab and click the speaker by there name to mute them.

I also believe it will have a bandwidth impact on both player and server. I just can't see that not happening. Oh well.. There's not much we can do about it now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you apache. Not looking forward to the potential llamas screaming into the voicecom, Sideline conversations, Clan recruiters etc. vspam (voice spam) is unavoidable.
Ideally, the channel stays quiet except for tatical info and it will really help game play a lot. More team play and coordinated D & O. Well see how it goes. I heard about the mute capabilty and it sounds like it will be easy to use as well. Have a feeling I might need that on occasion. Indeed, a data packet is a data packet, whether it a voice or data packet it will use bandwidth. The only way Valve could say that it wont impact 56Kers would be if steal the bandwidth from the main data channel. I beleive for phone quailty service you need 8k samples/sec but I would expect this to be less than that.

Magoo

Magoo

John Doe
Server Admin
Server Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the voice channels become a problem then the rules will be modified to account for it. I am sure that we will be more than glad to kick all the obsenity screaming llamas out there for verbal spam.

JD
ApacheEyes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2001 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JD.

I didn't know about being able to mute certain people, but that could turn into a constant chore...

Lazy Ap.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Ville.org Half-Life Gaming Community Forum Index -> General Ramblings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: